braces in the news?

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maggie

braces in the news?

#1 Post by Maggie »

just out of curiousity, did anyone see that thing on TV where they said it might be worth skipping braces for kids? I was just curious what that was all about because I missed it.

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

They were probably saying that you shouldn't get braces for your kids just as a fashion statement. Some kids who don't need them apparently beg their parents for them "because all their friends have them."

It was a big story in the news a couple of weeks ago.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

When I was a kid and really needed them for crowding and lip strain, I dodged my parents and now look. I'm paying out of pocket. I wouldn't get them even when all of my friends had braces, why would kids want them now to look cool if they don't need them? Kids now a days are a generation I will never understand.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Choppers

#4 Post by Choppers »

Apparently braces are really big in Asian countries. Kids even go to the extent of buying fake braces to put across their teeth! Because braces are expensive, having them is a sign of wealth so I guess they all want to look rich!

mariahfromchicago

#5 Post by mariahfromchicago »

Yeah, people who don't need these monsters are lucky people or even people who don't need them for long.
- mariah