Daughter is sure she won't be happy with results

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

Daughter is sure she won't be happy with results

#1 Post by Gennel »

My daughter has only been braced for 3 months and there has been MUCH progress and movement. All she has are negative comments and feelings about the day she gets them off. She keeps saying that she knows that my teeth will have a better result than hers. (We are both in braces) I have SEVERE crowding issues. She got braces with no extractions and will be braced approx. 18 months! The ortho first said 24 months but her progress has been so quick that he said he is sure she will not need them for that much longer.He even plans to shape/contour all the top teeth when he takes the braces off,if she is not completely happy with the results. I'm so sure she will like her results. A lot of people at her school have made comments that she looks so pretty with braces on.

Are any of you going through the same thing??

Gennel

sjsarre

#2 Post by sjsarre »

My son is certain he won't get the results I am having once he has had his braces put on.

The only thing you can do is reassure her and take lots of photos if you can.. Maybe inspire her to set up an online diary of her orthodontic treatment??

Gennel

#3 Post by Gennel »

I've taken pictures of her and her teeth move within hours of an adjustment. I took the pictures because I know that she will like to see her smile,during and final results. When I told her to let's take pictures she thought this idea was totally a lame idea ! lol She thinks I'm nuts to be in a "braces" forum. Of course she thinks MYspace is the best? lol
It takes much longer for myteeth to move than hers but she always says " your teeth are whiter and a better shape than mine" I've been in powerchains for like 10 weeks and my extraction gaps have closed like 3mm. When she got a a spring put in to make space for an incisor to be brought forward, the space was created within 24hrs. I thought that was amazing! When that incisor was finally attached to the archwire,it moved forward within 48 hrs. I wish mine had that sort of movement! lol
She will appreciate this when she gets much older , I know it.
If she doesn't then I'll tell her that I want $4,500 paid back to me!

Gennel

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

She's 14 and yes she's in that insecure phase! lol Now that we are in braces it's amazing to know how many family and friends had braces! I swear it's at least a dozen or more. The one thing that EVERYONE tells her is " WEAR YOUR RETAINER,OR YOUR TEETH WILL MOVE BACK TO HOW THEY WERE!" She always tells me that is one piece of advice she will take. She will get them off around 15 1/2 yrs old. Since she will still be living at home at that time I swear that she will wear her retainer everyday afterschool for at least 1 yr.

Her ortho said that she will need to wear them at least 14 hrs a day for 3 months and then 8hrs a day for another 5 months +
He does not suggest wearing the retainer 24/7 to kids that are still in school because he says soooo many of them lose them at school or break them at school!

I think her dad and I must have told her 100 times what a huge sacrifice this was for us to be able to get her braces and her not wearing a retainer after they are off is just being very ungrateful in my book! She wanted a big sweet 16 party and now she's changed her mind because she old me it was a waste of money and she'd rather get a car when she graduates.
I think she was living in a dream world where you can get braces,spend $10,000 on a party and get a car as a sweet 16 present! lol
Thanks MTV for the SUPER SWEET 16 show! LOL

I will make sure of one thing, she IS and WILL wear those retainers!

Gennel

joney

#5 Post by joney »

Hi Gennel

My eldest daughter had her braces taken off a year ago. Her teeth are gorgeous but for some bizarre reason she is unhappy with them. She says that he top teeth don't look as smooth / contoured as her bottom teeth. I would be ecstatic if my teeth were half as good as hers. She wears her retainer religiously every night as she doesn't want to risk them moving. However I have to tell her to smile in photos otherwise she won't show her teeth. I honestly hope that this is just a teen phase thing as her teeth are so beautiful. I do remember when I was a teenager picking on every little supposed flaw so as I said I hope it is just a phase and hopefully the same with your daughter.

My youngest daughter has just finished with a bite plate. She has spacers at the moment and gets her braces next week. Luckilly the spacers don't seem to be bothering her too much. I hope to get my brace next month so I will be in braces at the same time as my youngest daughter.

Regards
Joney

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

Does she think her problem is the smoothness of the bottom part of her top teeth? Like ridges ? Our ortho offers to smooth out/contour and even out any teeth that have ridges or chipped. It is a SUPER easy procedure and it's very cheap also. Does not require anesthesia in most cases and it just looks like a tiny drill with a sanding tip. I think it might just be a phase and she is not truly appreciating her amazing results.

I think if you had braces as a kid ,you did not suffer like so many adults in their 30's, 40's and 50's that are in braces now. I know my ortho is taking things slow with my braces because he wants the best possible outcome. I let him know anything better than what I have now will be amazing for me. He seems very enthusiastic with my case because I'm 100% willing to do whatever it takes and accept anything to get the great results that he says he's positive I will have.

My 14 yr old just has 1 tooth that is pushed back and that one will be attached to the archwire in about 2 weeks. Her teeth move super fast so this problem tooth will be aligned in no time soon. She knows that she has great results already. I just show her how bad my archwire is twisted and the fact that my molar bands are on molars that are tipped inward facing my tongue so I will NOT be able to bite down or chew anything until my molars are tipped upright which will take several months. My mouth sounds like tap shoes when I try to bite down.She has her days that she says how good her teeth are looking and then her days that she tells me that my teeth will look better than hers!
Teenagers! lol

Gennel

Kevin

#7 Post by Kevin »

This seems like a good time to teach a life lesson here. You'll always get what you believe you'll find. Maybe the problem isn't that her teeth won't be 100% perfect, but that she's unaware she has the choice to be happy with the results even if they aren't perfect.

Gennel

#8 Post by Gennel »

All I have to say to that is AMEN! I told her basically the same thing.
You can be the most beautiful woman in the world and you might see an ugly person in the mirror....

Gennel

joney

#9 Post by joney »

Hi Gennel, my eldest daughter's teeth are really gorgeous. I really don't think she needs anything done with them.

I know that the orthodontist said that my youngest daughter will need to have her front top two "shaved" and I can see the need for this as they are bigger and longer than the others alongside them. She is a bit worried that she might end up with (her words) "Danny DeVito" teeth -small and broad! I'm sure they'll be great.

What does your daughter think of this site? My daughters think I spend far too much time looking here, they are at the age where they just take the whole brace experience in their stride as their friends are going through the same thing. It's different for adults and I don't think I would have gone ahead with the decision to get braced if it wasn't for this site.

Regards
Joney

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

I love this site and my daughter thinks just like yours does! She says " Mom you're on there so much" I showed her the site and she found it boring and was not interested in it. For me it's been a tremendous help and it was a big boost to finally get braces.

Gennel

HoneyBearBear

OMG

#11 Post by HoneyBearBear »

OMG YOUR DAUGHTER IS SOO LUCKY!! My daughter's teeth move as slowly as a ROCK! The ortho said it would take longer than to be expected :( (sigh).