My son is getting braced

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

sjsarre

My son is getting braced

#1 Post by sjsarre »

Now that I am in braces! Its my sons turn. He has just had his first consultation with my Ortho. He had a full jaw xray at the dental surgery and then the Ortho spent 30minutes looking at his teeth and measuring etc.

At the end he said he wanted to send my son to the hospital for a further xray on his jaw and wanted to take moulds. This is fine, but I am concerned that he needs to take another Xray.

The Ortho says my son has or will have soon (he is 10years old so still some baby teeth) severe crowding and has some teeth coming down at 45 degree angles.

He mentioned palate expanders and the removal of several teeth especially on the top. Maybe up to six.

My son hasn't had many trips to the dentist and his first experience with the Ortho was good but the Ortho did say to me that my sons case would be pretty challenging...

My question to everyone on here, is, have any of your children had palate expanders. Or Jaw Surgery? How do you or how did you deal with the questions and help with the pain?

My son isn't the toughtest of kids and I am concerned that he will end up in lots of pain and won't be able to deal with things.

He has had problems in the past with not wanting to eat food because of weight issues. He is tall and very slim but has concerns over his weight and I am worried that having a brace on might give him more excuses as to why he doesn't have to eat.. The last thing I want is for him to end up with an eating disorder..

I'm only saying this from my recent experience. I absolutely adore food. BUT, since having my brace on, I've taken more of a dislike to food to the point where I am skipping meals because I can't chew and can't taste the food properly. I'm actually starting to get a dislike for it..

Your help would be greatly appreciated... Sorry if i'm rambling on, these are my thinking aloud thoughts!!!

pruettmj

#2 Post by pruettmj »

Hello sjsarre,

My youngest daughter just recently had her palatal expander taken out. She had very little discomfort with it and mostly didn't notice it was there after a short time. +\+ She is 8, and not wimpy, but not that tough either.

I'm surprised to hear your son would need to have teeth pulled if they are also talking expansion. He must have some really big teeth. I would encourage you to get another opinion or two if you have doubts. We had 4 different consults before we chose an ortho. Only one mentioned pulling teeth (on my 11-y-o) which, for her, was really unnecessary. This guy said he could straighten her teeth, but she'd look "toothy". :BigTeethGrin: I disagreed, and we didn't go with him.

My husband had braces as a teen, and they pulled several of his teeth. That's how they did it back then, but he regrets it now. :( His face is like an upside-down triangle; very thin at the bottom.

I'm not trying to discount what they told you, and your son may very well need to give up some teeth. Just be sure, because you can't put them back!

I hope this helps. :)

-Janice :-1

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Please be careful about getting extractions on a child that young. If I were you, I'd get another couple of opinions. Often treatment can be accomplished without extracting, especially on a child whose jaw and face are still growing. In some cases, extraction IS necessary, but not always.

Just my 2cents.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

sjsarre

#4 Post by sjsarre »

Yes that is my concern.. They haven't met my sons father, they can't tell from myself or my son what his frame size / jaw size is likely to be as an adult. He is very tall for his age. 5ft 6in and 11 in December. He does have big teeth, but I worry that they might take out too many.

We have another appointment with the Ortho on the 12th September. I'll be going in there with a barrage of questions to be sure that I am getting the answers I want and need to make me happy.

Unfortunately there is no real luxury of going to another Ortho where I live for second opinion. My Ortho is the most qualified on the island.

And i've already paid out around £300 so far for my son. I would have to do the same again at another Ortho and with my treatment underway I would need to remortgage my house!! :)

sjsarre

#5 Post by sjsarre »

My son lost one of his baby teeth on the top which has left room for his adult to come through which is great but I have a feeling the other side will be different!

Went to get his moulds and photo's taken yesterday. He had a full jaw xray aswell and the Ortho made no comment about any issues..

He reiterated that my sons case is going to be tough.

Can I post photo's of my sons brace journey on here? He has seen mine and wants to do his aswell...