Bad Bite after Braces, seeking Bite Adjustment!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kev187

Bad Bite after Braces, seeking Bite Adjustment!

#1 Post by kev187 »

Hi guy's. i just finish two years of braces and i have been wearing my hawley retainers 24/7 for 6 months, but I'm feeling discomfort with my bite. it feels like the middle upper and lower teeth are touching too much.

My ortho told me to wait 6 months with the hawley spring retainers to have my teeth shift into there final position before i get the bite adjustment.

Just to let you know i double stacked my elastic bands( two on top of each other when i had to wear them during my last months of wearing braces. i told her about this and she said it wasn't a good idea. I wonder if this is why i'm feeling a bad bite.

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Bad Bite after Braces, seeking Bite Adjustment!

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

The doubling of elastics could probably mean you overmoved the bite further than your orthodontist needed you to and you probably messed up the bite yourself. When my ortho tells me something I do exactly as instructed even if it means having braces on for longers. Doubling up doesnt get them off fasted it just messes up your bite. :(
Jenn Medeiros

kev187

#3 Post by kev187 »

yeah it was a big mistake. what i feel is that my to upper and lower teeth are touching. I was wondering if a "bite Plate" will help resolve my situation?

bethanybroccoli

#4 Post by bethanybroccoli »

My thought is that if you doublestacked and overcorrected then your ortho should have told you to lay off the elastics and then remove your braces when the bite was correct.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#5 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

It probably could or maybe you can get braces on for maybe 6 months.
Jenn Medeiros

kev187

#6 Post by kev187 »

is there a solution to fix this.

kev187

#7 Post by kev187 »

I am going to consult another ortho and tell him about my situation. but this time im going to a better one.

ArchWired28

#8 Post by ArchWired28 »

Be VERY careful with bite adjustments. Once they start grinding teeth, you may end up worse than you started. And there's no coming back.
What is your orthodontist saying? Did he/she make you bite down on the colored paper to figure out what teeth bite hard? If I were you, I would have tried to wait longer unless it is very annoying. Next, I would have tried to figure out if my orthodontist can help me. Maybe they can brace your upper or lower arch only, or maybe just a few teeth to fix that. Maybe they can do a bite plate to help even out your bite. Anything is better than grinding teeth down, especially if your problem seems to affect several teeth (as opposite to one high spot on just one tooth).
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

kev187

#9 Post by kev187 »

thanks guys. hey ArchWired28, i did my research on bite plates. i will mention this to my new orth, but do you think this might help my bite problem? (even though i know i do not have a deep bite.)

ArchWired28

#10 Post by ArchWired28 »

I don't know if this will help you since I don't know what exactly your problem is. I think you need to consult a qualified orthodontist who will fully evaluate your bite, and thus will be able to propose an informative solution. The only thing I wanted to warn you about, is grinding teeth down. If somebody promises to fix all your bite problems with a drill - RUN. This is usually NOT the person you want to let close to your mouth.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.