million dollar smile

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

milliondollar

million dollar smile

#1 Post by milliondollar »

Today is day one of braces. I have an open bite and crowding on top and bottom. I chose to decline oral surgery for the open bite and plan on using braces, elastics, and TADs as part of my treatment. I was supossed to go in today just for an MPE (expander.) I got banded, had the expander put in and then they decided to go ahead with the brackets and eveything! Here are my teeth before braces: they never seem to look this bad in person... or maybe I've just been telling myself that...

I'm biting down all the way on the last photo.

and brace day: 4/21/09:

My DR said the expander will also help to intrude the back molars which helps to close an open bite. The TADs will come at some point in the future and while a perfect result of a closed bite is not guaranteed we are trying for the best

kayleighkelley

#2 Post by kayleighkelley »

Welcome to AW!!! Congrats on your new braces :) And best of luck on your journey. Something I learned from your photos is about an open bite. Until I joined this site I never knew such a thing existed. It will be fun to watch your journey.

macgirl4ever

#3 Post by macgirl4ever »

Welcome aboard! Don't forget to take frequent pictures- even if you don't see anything at first, comparing photos can be very encouraging!

milliondollar

#4 Post by milliondollar »

Thanks for your support. I have a challenging case but I'm glad I'm finally going through with it. I would give anything to get this expander out of my mouth tho...

Tommm

#5 Post by Tommm »

Congrats on the new braces and welcome to the club! :)

milliondollar

#6 Post by milliondollar »

I took these pics just before my first adjustment. I had everything on for 3 weeks and then went in just the other day.
They changed my bottom wire and were about to change the top but then decided to put ties? on 2 of my teeth on top. They will leave the top wire the same for the next 6 weeks (which I think is kind of long, but of well) bc he says they are still moving.
He also told me to wear elastics every night to start closing my open bite. TADs will probably be used sometime in the future.
They also said my expander is starting to do its job so im happy about that. Plus I can finally eat and speak almost normally! :D
I dont see too much change except those front teeth on top are starting to line up. Cant wait for the next adjustment!

Dani1983

#7 Post by Dani1983 »

Milliondollar I'm really excited to see your post b/c I'm getting tads too for an open bite and I don't think there are many of us on here. Braced 3/31 and I'm scheduled for TADs on 5/26 so I'm getting a little anxious. My open bite isn't quite as wide as yours but I also have a large front gap to fix. I just got a TPA device about a week ago and it's supposed to keep the banded molars in place while the others are being intruded. I have a sore spot/bump on my tongue from the TPA but I'm trying to get used to it b/c the ortho says they will come and go.

cradence

#8 Post by cradence »

Great job, Million Dollar! I find that I have the same problems (more or less) as yours . Would be eager to follow your experience - all the best!

rachaelpg

#9 Post by rachaelpg »

Hi everyone,
I am in the same boat; I have an open bite and recently went to an ortho who suggested braces and TADS combo. I am hesitant for many reasons, but am leaning toward treatment. I was kind of hoping invisalign and TADS would be an option, but I think it is too new. Maybe eventually that will be the standard treatment, but I don't think I want to wait. Anyway, it is very exciting to hear from those of you in similar situations proceeding with treatment. Please keep us updated.
Good Luck!

milliondollar

week 10

#10 Post by milliondollar »

Hello again! It has been about 9 or 10 weeks since my braces went on. Today I had my 2nd adjustment. I have a new wire on the bottom and they put a little spring on the bottom right to create some room on that side.

Still the same wire on top from day one but I will go back in 2 weeks to hopefully change that top wire. He wants a little more rotation on one of the top teeth and have a new wire tie on that tooth. Its the second from the middle on my left.

I went with glow in the dark ligs and for the open bite I have been wearing vertical bands at night. I will start to wear them more during the day now. The open bite has closed considerably with just rubber bands. Lets hope its stable! Here are some 10 week comparasion pics:

week 1

week 10

week 1 arch

week 10 arch

week 1 bottom

week 10 bottom

week 1 side view of open bite

week 10

kayleighkelley

#11 Post by kayleighkelley »

You've had good movement in 2 adjustments...more than me :( Hopefully mine will progress when they can connect my other tooth to my wire.

newbie21

#12 Post by newbie21 »

I saw that the "invisalign/TAD" combo was mentioned in this thread. This is what I will be looking at getting. Here is a good link:

http://www.orthodonticproductsonline.co ... -02_02.asp

milliondollar

#13 Post by milliondollar »

Well I finally got a new wire on top. I was in the same one for like 2 months. Its already sore so I guess its doing its job. I didnt take any pics this time but my front teeth have started touching. Its the first time in probably 10 or more years that they have touched. I am in vertical Bear elastics and they are really working to close the open bite. Its very exciting! Next adjustment is in 5 weeks.

milliondollar

#14 Post by milliondollar »

Ok I decided to take pictures.
These are a little more than 2 months apart and I am biting down as much as I can.

milliondollar

I think its 4 months

#15 Post by milliondollar »

OK, its about four months in. I have open? powerchains on top and some sort of metal wire ties on the bottom. This was a pretty painful appt. I have to keep my expander in til who knows when. Vertical elastics only on the left side for the next month. Next appt in 4 weeks.