how exactly do they remove molar bands?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaswi

how exactly do they remove molar bands?

#1 Post by jaswi »

Just curious. I've had brackets popped off and repositioned so I know how that works, but what about bands? I know I should be getting a debanding date at my next appointment(god I hope so at least). I've got 9 molar bands in total so....yeah.

catfish

#2 Post by catfish »

I hope somebody answers because I want to know too! I'm a year away from getting them removed, but I'm already fretting about it.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I've had a couple taken off and it's no biggie. They use band removing pliers which I didn't really look at, but feel as if they have a big wide surface which grips the band across two sides. A slight twist cracks the cement and then the band is just wiggled off. Then your tooth is polished smooth of all the old glue.

If for some reason the band is very tight, the ortho also has the option of cutting it with a Dremel and removing it in two pieces. He had to do that with one of mine as it was squashed up tight to the tooth next to it. It didn't hurt but it's a bit scary and there's a lot of vibration (like a dentists drill) It only takes a minute though.

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

The same way they push them in is the same way they pull them off.
I've actually had 2 molar bands removed about a year into treatment.Unfortunately those 2 molars were still wobbly and I cried,screamed and even pulled my ortho's wrist really hard. I didnt even realize I did that but it hurt so bad that I would have bit him if I could! lol
Anyway I'm almost about to get debanded.This time I feel it will be way easier because my molars are more secure.
The ortho used two instruments like tweezers/pliers and held on to each side of the band and rocked it back and forth until it snapped off.He felt sooo bad that he gave me like 4 weeks without the archwire on the bottoms.
When I get debanded I will ask to have the molar bands removed first! So I can get that part over with.For some reason the bottom teeth have always been more painful for me.The top stopped hurting like a year ago. I always felt that they should cut the band off and peel it off .Some orthos do that but others just rock it back and forth until it slips off. Also the second time I got bands on ,he used MUCH less glue! Thank goodness lol Before Ihad globs of glue overflowing on top andit was really hard to get off.

It should not be too bad at all if its for final debanding. I only have 2 molar bands and I cant wait to get them off!

Gennel

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Yup--big pliers which look worse then they are. I had a molar band replaced, and it was really no big deal. I didn't feel a thing....it was out before I knew what had happened.

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

Thats why I think it wont be a big deal when they take them off this time. My molars were really tilted and they had a long way to move. At the time they were sore so when they moved them back and forth it felt like they were pulling my molar out..so yeah it hurt. But I'm very confident that this wont hurt at all because my molars are set really well in their place after almost 2 yrs :)

Everyone is different and I've heard many people that have had no problems at all with molar band removal . A few like me :( didnt have it so easy

Gennel