insinu8's BRACES journal --> NEW hardware PICS on pg6

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

insinu8

insinu8's BRACES journal --> NEW hardware PICS on pg6

#1 Post by insinu8 »

Oooh...

Now I can take pics as things progress and provide a look back at how my teeth started, got worked over, and finished.

*disclaimer*

I am NOT a photographer.

*end disclaimer*
Last edited by insinu8 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

insinu8

catching up a month after treatment started

#2 Post by insinu8 »

I've finally gotten around to keeping a record of my progress through getting braces. Thank goodness I found ArchWired!

So, as you can see by my signature counters, I've had both upper & lower helices for about 6 weeks now.

Sadly, I did not take pictures before I got started, but then, I doubt anything has changed much visually so far.

Having taken a look at so many other folks' teeth here, I can say, I'm downright embarrassed about mine. I never knew how bad they looked. Badly crowded on the bottom. Overbite. Terrible color. Etc.

So, I'm quite happy about finally getting around to doing something about it. My Ortho said it would take about 2 years to get everything straight and lined up. I'll have them whitened once that's done. I can't imagine having straight white teeth, but I'm hopeful (and fearful) that I will...eventually!

Pics to follow
Last edited by insinu8 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

insinu8

Helices on, no braces yet

#3 Post by insinu8 »

You can't see the helices (in these pics) but here's basically where I started:

All my "pearly" whites (err...)

My overbite

My "trouble children" lowers

As you can see, I've got a pretty bad overbite and crowding. My Ortho wanted to remove two molars (I didn't ask if both upper & lower) to make space for my crowding. I said, "No. I want to keep all of my teeth". So, he installed these expanders called a helix on the top and bottom.

Well, it wasn't that easy. They had to put spacers between my 1st & 2nd molars to make room for the cuffs. That didn't go so well. The wire spacers they started with cut my gums on one side and got stuck impaled into one gum line. I went in the following week and had rubber spacers put in. Now THAT was a tight fit! A couple weeks later, the spacers came out and the cuffs went on along with the helices.

The cuff hooks kept getting stuck into the inside of my mouth (like a fish hook) so I had them bent back away. Not much trouble since then.

Due to some pretty large tori in my lower jaw, they had some trouble positioning the helices. They kept pinching my tongue and actually grabbing the underside of my tongue. PAINFUL! The Ortho was able to push them out of the way and not irritate my tori. YAY!

(I'll try to take some pics of the tori/helices)

Once the helices were on for about 2 weeks and I had gotten used to them (not actually painful but certainly aggravating in terms of discomfort) I started to notice my bite was shifting. A bit each day I could tell my teeth weren't coming together in the same spot. This made eating somewhat difficult and challenging. It also hurt a bit. I've been chewing mostly on the left side of my mouth due to the misalignment. I CAN chew on the right side, but it doesn't work too well and, frankly, it makes my jaw get tired really fast.

Cleaning is a serious chore. Brushing was never very high on my list of priorities (that might explain the discoloration). But now I brush twice a day plus a quickie after eating. I also use my WaterPik (THANK GOD FOR WATERPIK!) after eating when I'm home or once I GET home. After this, I rinse with mouthwash (Crest Night Time or some such) before going to bed. It's a pain to have to do all this every day, but I'm getting used to it and I know it's contributing to better oral health.

Next Wednesday, the helices come out, get adjusted and go right back in. I'll get more spacers between 1st & 2nd molars to make room for the cuffs on my 1st molars (2nd have them already for the helices).

One week later, the spacers come out and the cuffs go onto 1st molars.

Then, two weeks later, the upper braces go on. VERY EXCITING!

I'll keep this journal up to date as things happen/change and I'll try to add pictures too.

I'm glad to be finally getting around to fixing my teeth and I'm very happy to have found ArchWired so I can share the experience with so many other people.
Last edited by insinu8 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

elpi

#4 Post by elpi »

Cool to see your story, my teeth are hardly white either, my photos are kind of flattering cos the flash lightens them, and they look pretty yellow in those :lol: I know what you mean I can't imagine having straight white teeth either, it'll be ever so strange... but we'll get there! How long does your ortho say you need to have braces for? are you going for metal or ceramics?

insinu8

#5 Post by insinu8 »

elpi,

My Ortho has said he thinks I'll be braced for about 2 years. I'll be getting the clear uppers (don't know if they're ceramic?) in a month. I can't get clear on the bottom because of my overbite. I would just end up breaking the brackets off (or just flat out breaking them). So it'll be metal on the bottoms, but I'm not sure when that will happen. It's probably a couple of months away yet.

Yes, it will be quite something to have straight white teeth. I can't wait to wake up that first morning when the braces are off and they've been whitened :)
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

insinu8

#6 Post by insinu8 »

update:

more pics! (I apologize in advance, but I DID say I was NOT a photographer!)

overbite side view

lower arch

upper arch

There ya go. Now you can see where I'm starting from (more or less)

It occurs to me that it might be of interest to mention the cost of my treatment. The total bill was $8000. Thankfully, my dental insurance covers $1500 of that and I opened a HSA (Health Savings Account) to pay for the rest of it over 2 years. This is great as it is a government run program which takes money out of my paycheck each month PRE-TAX to pay the Ortho. That way I save about 1/3 of the total cost due to not paying taxes on this part of it. So, my out of pocket expense ends up being about $8000 - $1500 = $6500* 2/3 (roughly) = $4200. Not bad!

In case anyone was wondering about this, it is available to all tax paying US citizens HERE
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

insinu8

#7 Post by insinu8 »

OMG, I did not even notice before how badly my teeth are out of center line (or whatever that's called)!

Wow, the more I look at these pics, the happier I am that I finally decided to start with my braces :)

This is a great reminder for me of why I'm doing this. Man, this really makes me happy that I found this place and it got me off my butt to keep a journal.

:computer:

w00t!
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

Bekah

#8 Post by Bekah »

Good luck on your journey! I will keep checking back with you!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

jenny101101

#9 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Christopher,

Welcome to AW and congrats on deciding to get braced!! :-)o

I'm in the same boat...overbite, crowded lowers and "not so white" teeth. I completely understand wanting straight, white teeth and I'm excited to have that too. Great pics and good luck in your journey! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

elpi

#10 Post by elpi »

Hey, thanks for posting on my story. It's funny obviously I am obsessed with my teeth at the moment but before I went to my first orthodontist appointment I didn't understand at all the extent or type of crookedness and wonkyness, when I first too a photo of my profile I was quite shocked they looked like that! Photos are a bit demoralising before the whole braces thing but now they're the best motivational tool around :) I think your photos are pretty good, they're clear enough to compare back to. The lower front teeth in particular are going to be fun to see getting into line.

insinu8

#11 Post by insinu8 »

Jenny, Elpi & Bekah, thanks for looking in on me while I anxiously wait another, what...29 days?

Oooh....it's pretty amusing that I'm in such a hurry to get to it. I remember being in such denial!

Elpi, I would never have guessed I'd become so obsessed either! Those first pics really make you go "Woah!" I agree with you, they certainly ARE a good motivator. Wonky indeed! Yah, my lowers are going to be like watching a magic show, I think...I wish I could make a time lapse movie of that process :)

Jenny, it seems we all feel like "why didn't I do this when I was younger???". Goodness knows I understand how you feel as I'm 42 now and just getting started. I fear your flossing adventures :shock: as I know I'll be following in your footsteps eventually too.

Bekah, thanks for the good wishes. I would imagine nothing too strange will happen for a couple more weeks. But I have two other appointments before Bday and you never know!
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

insinu8

#12 Post by insinu8 »

I've got a 9 am appt with Ortho tomorrow to have the helices removed, adjusted and put back in. If my canines keep moving outward at the same rates they've been going, I'll have to put a leash on them!

I think I'm supposed to get spacers put in between 1st & 2nd molars as well but I dunno if that's both upper & lower or not. (I've not been good at pestering the Ortho about the details...is that denial?)

This is in preparation for having cuffs put onto my 2nd molars. I am unsure if those are going to be the anchor points for my archwire or not. I don't even know if it's going to be tops & bottoms or just tops! That might mean ALL of my molars will be cuffed. BOG! I feel heavier already!

I feel like I'm being so whiny right now, but I'm nervous. Ooooh......what's gonna happen???

I'll share when I get home tomorrow after work. Hopefully it will be a boring post :lol:
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

acd

#13 Post by acd »

Just wait until the brackets and wires are on. I knew my teeth were out of whack but didn't realize how bad they were until i saw that rollercoaster of an archwire attached to them.

Once I finally decided to get braces after living with messed up teeth for so long it was funny how fast I wanted everything to get started. Its like once you've made up your mind you just want it to happen quickly.

Welcome to the 40+ year old guys with braces club and good luck with your treatment!

insinu8

#14 Post by insinu8 »

Thanks for the welcome to the 40+ guys w/braces club, acd ;)

My appt today was to "activate" my helices and insert spacers between all four 1st & 2nd molars to prepare for cuffs on all four 2nd molars next week. It seems this is necessary in order to move the 2nds back. I guess I can picture that...

So they removed the helices with a pair of what looked like pliers, popping them out of my mouth (I picked them up to inspect them more closely..kinda cool looking contraptions). Then they got another plier-y looking thing and started SCRAPING the glue/adhesive/cement off of my teeth. Let me tell you...that was nasty. Bits of glue flying all about (one got into my eye) and that horrid grinding sensation/feeling/sound ("okay, now rinse"). Eww. Then they brought out what looked like a light weight Dremel thing and began grinding the left-over cement off. I had flashbacks of dental drills which made it hard to not squirm a bit. I could see my hands clutching and unclutching. It wasn't exactly painful, mind you...except for a couple of times when they hit a sensitive spot where it would suddenly get either hot or cold. It was more the workman-like (or workwoman in this case) manner in which they proceeded to go at it. Imagine street construction in a pink frock and you get the picture.

So I've got blue spacers in now and let me tell you...that poor assistant broke the first one trying to put it in but when she mentioned the dreaded words "wire spacers" I sat up and said, "No way". So, she grabbed the floss and worked them into place that way instead. It wasn't so bad at first but by lunch time I was REALLY regretting that I hadn't remembered to take my Advil beforehand. *stupid stupid stupid!*

So here are the pics of my new blue spacers:
Uppers:

Lowers:
Didja ever see a bigger tori in your life???

Next week - More Metal!
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

insinu8

More bands!

#15 Post by insinu8 »

Got all four 2nd molars banded on Tuesday morning. As the blue spacers between 1st & 2nd molars were removed, I was counting, 1.....2.....3..........??? Hmm....last time this happened, the 4th spacer had gotten wedged up under my gum line, so I figure the same thing had happened. I mentioned this to the OrthoAssist who poked around up there (upper left) and announced, "Nope, the spacer isn't in there." It was then that I remembered a particularly tasty Slim Jim I had gnawed on two nights before. I can only conclude that the AWOL spacer became part of my snack that night.

So the bands go on after the usual sizing, fitting, gluing (why in the world would you flavor such nasty tasting stuff? - cherry!?!?!). I noticed that these bands each had a little rectangular block on the side which had a hole through it. I presume this will be the anchor point for my arch wires later.

Two days later I've decided these are evil. The little boxes have fairly sharp edges and are grating my cheeks a bit. I expected this to a certain extent though, so I'm not concerned. It's just a bit painful. I also worry that I will begin pinching my cheeks with the little boxes. So far, only a bit when I eat less carefully, but no real zingers.

I'm looking forward to getting my upper braces on. Why? Because I can already see my teeth moving with just the expanders in. I actually have little spaces between some of my front teeth (canines) which I've never seen/had before. It's very exciting! That means room for straightening the rest! I'm going to take pictures again the day before the braces go on so I can capture that last look at my naked teeth and chronicle the official "pre-braces" look.

Barring something unexpected in the next little less than 3 weeks, I'll post again then.
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL