It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:31 am 

I previously had orthodontic treatment over 10+ years ago when I was a child which resulted in shortened teeth roots in my top front two teeth (they always make comments about them when I get x-rays). The ortho didn't do a good job with follow up after my braces came off (i never got a retainer - long story) and my teeth have become pretty crooked again and my overbite has returned. I've set up an ortho consultation for the end of this month (earliest I could get in) but I was wondering if anyone on here has gotten braces/other ortho treatment even though they have shortened tooth roots? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:08 pm 

one of the docs in my endo's office also has really short roots. One day I asked her how much longer she had to go in braces because her teeth looked really good. She said at least 2 more years - because of her short roots they had to do things extra slowly.

Post subject: short roots
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:13 am 

I had braces as a teen, overbite returned, and I had serious root resorption on an upper lateral incisor and some resorption on the incisor next to it. Ortho told me about it after doing panoramics before starting treatment. I went to an endodontist, oral surgeon, crown guy, they all said I should go ahead and get the lateral incisor pulled and get an implant. Ortho said let's do braces if you want to and see what happens. He moved slowly. It took 2 years and 9 months, and I just got braces off, and my roots are stable. I am so thankful to my orthodontist for being up front with me about the dangers for potential loss of the tooth and for working with me on this. The tooth with the shortest root is actually a little more stable than when I started.