Shell's Adventure (pictures included)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shell1426

Shell's Adventure (pictures included)

#1 Post by shell1426 »

Hi! My name is Rochelle and I am 23 years old. About 6-8 months ago I started looking into braces and went to my first consultation (without insurance) but after finding out how much it was going to cost I decided to wait a little while. In December I got insurance and struggled with which orthodontist to choose. My original orthodontist isn't covered under my insurance and I was kind of bummed about that. After getting the list of orthodontist's that are covered under my insurance I called my dentist office and asked who they would recommend. I also asked around and got recommendations from other people. I decided to choose the orthodontist that my dentist office recommended and made my first appointment. Surprisingly they fit me in the following day.

At my consultation they took my x-ray's and pictures and discussed my complaints and problems. I told them that I had been to another orthodontist before and opted to not let them know what I had been originally told. My orthodontist came in and stated that I have class 4 crowding on top and bottom, a crossbite, and a few other small things that I can't remember off the top of my head. He gave me all my options and told me that to completely correct my crossbite I would need an RPE (without or with surgical assistance) because there is only so much he can do with a wire. There is concern that because of my age the RPE may not work. If it doesn't work I will know within a week after it is placed. I knew the only way to know for sure is to try so I told him I want to do it. Treatment will take 18 months whether the RPE works or not! This is where my adventure begins!

On the day of my consultation my spacers were placed. 4 on the left and 3 on the right! When I left I was fine...just a little pressure. Little did I know the agony that was to follow. About 8 hours after putting in my spacers the pressure got worse and hurt so bad I could barely talk. My teeth were so sore and tight I could not bite down and when I would talk my back teeth would hit together and cause pain. For the next 6 days it got better but still hurt very badly! I was so excited on the day of my appointment to get them taken out! All I could do was keep hoping the the braces weren't going to be anything like the spacers.

On December 20th I went to my orthodontist to get my spacers taken out, get my bands fitted for my RPE, and get my bottom braces on. I was nervous but so happy to get those darn spacers out. They took my molds for the RPE and fitted my bands. They were going to put my bottom braces and top brackets on but I told them I didn't want the top brackets on until they are actually going to put the wire and ligatures on so they only put my bottom braces on. The only thing that really bothered me when they were putting my bottom braces on was the lip spreader and the plastic piece with the suction to hold my tongue back...that was uncomfortable. I never really tasted anything that was horrible but there was something that was a little bitter. The assistant put on my wire, clipped it and put my ligatures on (I picked least noticable so she put silver on - I may get brave at my adjustment and put something colorful!). Then she let me rinse my mouth and check out my new braces! It looked and felt wierd but not horrible. I made an appointment for January 17th to get the dreaded spacers back in and then the next week I will go to get my RPE put in. The past couple of weeks with my bottom braces in have been a breeze. I thought it would cut the inside of my mouth and hurt like the spacers did but other than pressure and feeling my teeth move (when I bite and push with my tongue) a little but there has been no real pain. I have been watching what I eat but I could eat a small hamburger after about 3-4 days. They are a little sore but nothing that bad and it hasn't cut the inside of my mouth but one time (this past week) and that wasn't even bad! I am shocked and so happy at the same time. I am more nervous about the RPE than anything else mainly because I am on the phone A LOT with my job and am worried about talking. I am also concerned that it won't work but after seeing so many people here that are my age and older that have the RPE without surgical assistance and it works I am less concerned about that now. The other concern that I have is the space it may cause between my front teeth but I've seen a lot of people on here that didn't get a space with the RPE so I can only hope I am lucky with that! We will see by the end of this month.

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday:

Image Sorry my mouth is really small LOL!

Image Image
Top (unbraced) is on the left & Bottom (braced since 12/20/06) is on the right
Last edited by shell1426 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metal Bottoms - 20Dec2006
RPE - 24Jan2007 No more turning
Ceramic Tops - 15Feb2007

manglemouth

#2 Post by manglemouth »

Rochelle, my FUTURE BRACE BUDDY!!

Your teeth will look stunning when you are done with treatment...just trust my non expert advise here LOL. They all look very symmetrical and once they are all in their correct position, people will be green with envy.

You sure aren't making those spacers sound very fun! I am not looking forward to those one bit, just like you are dreading your next round. But you know what, it's OK. This too shall pass, and then you'll have your upper braces on and VOILA...it's time for some MOVEMENT!

Just think, next time you come down here to visit, your teeth could look a whole lot different already. Because I say your RPE is gonna work...and what I say goes!!

Go Rochelle! :BigGrin:

shell1426

#3 Post by shell1426 »

Well...the spacers have been in since the 17th and I have to say it's not AS BAD as the first time. That first 24 hours was not fun but I was at home instead of at work and I took a nap when the pain started kicking in. Plus, I knew what to expect and that made it easier. I am dreading getting the RPE Wednesday since I will be working the day after and I do not know how well people will understand my "RPE talk" LOL. I will be soooo happy when Thursday evening comes so that I will have the entire weekend to get used to my new RPE. I will update with pictures when I get the RPE!

:crazy:

Ceramic Tops - 15Feb2007

samantha_lou

#4 Post by samantha_lou »

Hi Shell,

Good luck with your RPE! I had mine for about six months, and it made a real difference to the shape of my top arch - unfortunately I have lost some correction since it was removed, but I'm about to get my braces and so hopefully that ground can be made up again!

The RPE is nothing compared to the spacers, I never once had pain from the expander. I just got eight spacers for my braces today, so I am currently in quite a lot of pain from those! As for the speech, my speech wasn't badly affected, no one apart from me really noticed anything! Eating and drooling are issues for a couple days, but you'll soon adapt!

Hope all goes well with your RPE!

shell1426

#5 Post by shell1426 »

samantha_lou, linda21, bracedagain, and kk:
Thanks for all the great support! You all are soooo awesome! I haven't been so nervous since I overcame my long lived dental anxiety (getting 3 crowns, 2 fillings, and an extraction in one sitting - but under sedation). Okay, I am being a bit of a drama queen. I am nervous though! From what I have read and what people have told me the RPE is not that bad. Sorry, samantha_lou that you have relapsed some and I hope that the braces help it from getting worse! I would hate to have that for 6 months to relapse but it's a chance that we take. I will be practicing the Rainbow Passage...thank you again, kk! Here's to hoping the RPE works (I have no reason to believe it won't since it has worked on SO many people my age and older) :-88 ! I will also be getting my FIRST adjustment on my lowers so I am excited about that! I will be updating with pictures Wednesday or Thursday!

MUCH LOVE!
:dance:

Ceramic Tops - 15Feb2007

manglemouth

#6 Post by manglemouth »

Can't wait for your update Rochelle! Wondering how you are dealing with the RPE. I am sure you're taking it in stride though! 8)

shell1426

#7 Post by shell1426 »

All I can say is WOOOO HOOOOO! 2 steps down and 2 more to go, counting my retainer of course. I endured the yucky spacers and got my RPE today!!! I went in and sat in the semi-comfy chair and the first thing I see is the mold of my mouth and the RPE on the mold. The only thing I could think was YIKES! The assistant leaned me back in the chair and told me she would check to make sure the RPE fit before cementing it into place. Woww...the pressure of the bands amazed me. I asked her how in the world she was going to get it out it was so tight but she got it out. She told me it fit wonderfully and she dried my teeth and got my RPE ready to cement. She forewarned me that the cement would get everywhere so I prepared myself, though it doesn't matter how well you prepare yourself because that stuff is GROSS!!!!! She cemented the RPE in and used the curing light to dry it. She lifted me up and asked me how it felt. We both giggled a little because of my speech. I have to admit that I worked myself up and it's not that bad! I was a little disappointed that they said I wouldn't get my first adjustment until my next appointment. I was so sure that they told me I would get my adjustment when I got my RPE put in but that's okay. The assistant called to check on me and see how I was doing...so sweet! Well I will finish my update tomorrow because I have to get up at 3 am to go to work.

Okay, it's now been ONE whole day since getting my RPE and I have to say it's hasn't been fun but it's still not horrible. It could always be worse, right??? I practiced talking a lot today and only had a few problems. Here are some of the words I was unable to say...speech, speaking, talk, thank you, six, nine, eight, anything number in the teens (ex. sixteen). There were a few other words that were difficult but possible. My co-worker was laughing at me when I said EIDC 69 (one of the barges I dispatch). He wasn't being mean at all just picking on me a little bit. I talked on the phone to a supervisor and told him about my difficulties and he said, "Well, if it makes a difference I really can't tell over the phone. There is not a big difference." I got that comment from one other person today so I felt a little better. Talking is a battle I think I will win. Now eating on the other hand is a PROBLEM. I ate some spaghetti and meatballs today...probably not the best idea but it was free at work so I got some. The spaghetti and I had major issues! The meatballs weren't horrible but kept getting caught up there and that was a yuck feeling! Swallowing is challenging especially when everything wants to hide behind the RPE. The brackets on the front bands are hurting me and I hate the wax because I forget about it and end up eating or brushing with it in. I called to see if they could put a ligature on those two bands without the wire to cushion the bracket a bit and they told me that if it still bothers me over the weekend and cuts me up badly to call Monday.

Alright, on to the turning...I am turning twice a day for 2 weeks until my check up and first adjustment. We turned twice yesterday and no problems a little pressure but no biggie. This morning I went into the bathroom and had trouble getting to where I could see the hole to put the key in. I turned my head sideways and up and every which way with no luck so I finally just sat on the big counter and got close to the mirror and tilted my head up and slipped the key in. I turned that RPE and had to catch my breath!!! WOOOOWWWW...the pressure was extreme and my face and nose felt very, very tight and almost sore. My sinus area would be the best way to describe it. I got a very dull headache for about an hour and my teeth were sore where the front bands are. I haven't turned for the second time yet but I'm sure it'll get easier after my palate actually separates! All in all I would say I am doing very well considering I have a bulky RPE in the way of my palate LOL.

Here are the pictures:

Last edited by shell1426 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceramic Tops - 15Feb2007

KJNELLAMORE

#8 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

GREAT! The pain from expanding is pretty bad in the beginning, but it DOES get better.. now it's really nothing for me.

Also, the more you expand, the more 'space' there is up there.. meaning that more air can get through.. so your speech will get a lot better. I can talk completely normally now, but m's are still a bit sticky.

There's really no trick with food... just try to take small bites and chew on your molars. Always have a drink with you, and learn to use your tongue to get food out.. which is MUCH easier once you've expanded a bit. Don't put too much food in your mouth, because it WILL all get stuck up there and you'll feel like you're choking... lol. Oh, and don't try eating with food in your mouth.. haha.

Good luck!

manglemouth

#9 Post by manglemouth »

I turned that RPE and had to catch my breath!!! WOOOOWWWW...the pressure was extreme and my face and nose felt very, very tight and almost sore.
I have to admit, that sent chills down my spine! Image Image
This is what it must feel like when your face splits in half :shock: But glad to read from the post above that this gets better. I wonder if that means that it's working? Anything hurting like that HAS GOT TO work! Let me know as soon as you see any tiny bit of progress because if you do, then I want to ask my ortho if this device could help me too.

The spaghetti story was Image

Sounds like it was a slightly rough start but you are taking it like a WOMAN!! Hehee. Good luck to you, I am staying tuned for more! Image

shell1426

#10 Post by shell1426 »

Thanks, Kim and manglemouth! Your support means a lot!!!!! I am glad to know that I am not the only one with food issues, Kim! Since your RPE is working and you said the beginning hurt as well maybe mine is working, too! Last night, that second turn hurt again but this morning it wasn't as bad. Actually I was shocked that it really didn't hurt much at all! Talking is a little better today but I haven't eaten at all today so we will see how that goes. Thanks again for the support and keep in touch!!!!

:tingrin:

Ceramic Tops - 15Feb2007

Tin Indian

#11 Post by Tin Indian »

:D Rochelle, Glad you and your RPE are getting along for now.I could never do anything like that.Hope you get something to eat soon, thats important to keep your energy levels up. Thanks for the nice pics.Congratulations.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

shell1426

#12 Post by shell1426 »

Thank you to KK, linda21, bracedagain, and Tin Indian for the replies! It is greatly appreciated!!! Bracedagain...it is a definite congrats on taking a step forward! No matter how challenging or aggrivating it may be...it will all be well worth it!

Okay...so this weekend has been a little tough and I admit that I have been bad about flossing all weekend :soremouth: ! I guess I have been so focused on learning to talk and eat that I forgot to floss! WHOOOPS! It has been 9 turns (10th will be tonight) in 5 days and I have noticed a change in my bite but thought maybe it was just the bulkiness of the bands and the RPE but there is a definite change! It is just a little change, though! While flossing today the space between my front teeth...which is normally pretty tight...is not tight at all - the floss slide right to the gum!!!!! I was so happy I almost screamed!!!! :jump: :jump: :-88 :jump: :jump:

I don't know how well things are going since I don't have an appointment with my ortho until February 8th but I would say the RPE is working by the small bite change and the not so noticeable but definitely there gap! I hope everyone's weekend went well and I will be posting some new pictures on Wednesday!

Ceramic Tops - 15Feb2007

manglemouth

#13 Post by manglemouth »

Yay Shell!! Image

Sounds great! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! Image

shell1426

#14 Post by shell1426 »

Well...it's been a week and I have PROGRESS! Definite gap between my front teeth and a change in bite. My tongue is raw in the middle because the RPE has been rubbing. Lots of salt water rinses for me but I am also sick so tea and salt water have been my friend for the past couple of days. Here are my weekly pictures of my RPE and one of my gap that has formed:

Before RPE
01Feb2007

Eating is getting easier but my teeth stay a little sore because they don't have time to catch up with me turning every 12 hours. My speech is a little better as well so all is looking up and I have my appointment next week.
Last edited by shell1426 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceramic Tops - 15Feb2007

KJNELLAMORE

#15 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

awesome! great progress! I'm jealous.. lol.