Baking soda rinse?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Betty Bat

Baking soda rinse?

#1 Post by Betty Bat »

I was looking up information on plaque and saliva because my recent cleaning (the first since I got braces) was less than stellar and the hygenist said that the composition of your saliva had a big impact on your plaque deposits.

I found this website via Google: www.fitmouth.com If you follow the link for "Free Stuff", there is a bunch of stuff on controlling plaque and reversing decay. These even mention the benefits of warm salt water rinses for controlling plaque ("controlling bacterial growth"). But, they also mention baking soda rinses as a way to neutralize the acids in plaque. I know there has been a lot of discussions about baking soda toothpaste, but has anyone tried baking soda rinses?

And, if you have time, read the "Gums of Steel" page. It's pretty funny, but there's some useful information in it. I think LucyLoop would enjoy it.

CelestialVoices

#2 Post by CelestialVoices »

These even mention the benefits of warm salt water rinses for controlling plaque ("controlling bacterial growth").
Wow, I guess I should finish up the salt that my dentist gave me after my extraction.

That's interesting about the baking soda too, I'll have to check that site out.
Thanks for posting :)

Betty Bat

#3 Post by Betty Bat »

Thanks for the responses. I thought it sounded interesting - and perhaps too good to be true.

And, KK, coming from you, that's high praise indeed since you have contributed so much to the board.

kirst1583

#4 Post by kirst1583 »

This is only half related.. but I tried the Colgate toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide. I ended up with blistered lips (and hadn't been outside for a few days.. so they weren't sunburnt).
Baking soda wouldn't cause the burning would it? I'm assuming it was something in the toothpaste.. maybe the peroxide, I don't know.

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

Not related to the blistered lips, but I read on one website (I think it was dentalgentlecare) that baking soda toothpaste should not be used with sonic toothbrushes because it made the brush head crack. Anyone else have any experience with this?

kirst1583

#6 Post by kirst1583 »

KK wrote:kirst1583 I use Colgate toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide several times a day ... and apart from stopping for about three months until I checked with my ortho it was safe to use with braces, I've been using it for over two years.

I can't think of any reason why this would happen to you, but it sounds like you've had an allergic reaction to something in the toothpaste, or it may have been unfortunate timing and your blisters were from something else like the coldsore virus ... but ít's not worth the risk of checking that one out ... so I think you need to get rid of it! Here's a toll free number you can call (1800 802 307 Colgate Australia) to tell them what has happened and see if they have any explanation.

Good luck! :banana:
Thanks for that. I did use it again last nite (because my other toothpaste ran out) and i'm fine today. The blistering wasn't anything major and it cleared within a couple of days. I think you might be right, that it was just poor timing.

CelestialVoices

#7 Post by CelestialVoices »

Glad to hear your mouth cleared up :)

kirst1583

#8 Post by kirst1583 »

Thanks! :wink:
Now I just have ulcers (canker sores) to contend with. Either my teeth have moved to a new position and the brackets are rubbing... or that toothpaste really doesn't agree with me.

phanta

#9 Post by phanta »

This was already mentioned on this board but just in case:
Most toothpastes have Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate and some people are allergic to it (like I am - always develop corner mouth sores and some cankers when using a TP with SLS).

Some toothpastes have a higher % of SLS so that's why you may be able to use one toothpaste containing it, but not another. SLS makes the substance foam (also added to shampoos by the way). I guess one way to tell if a toothpaste has a lot of it, is the amount of foam generated (but probably not foolproof way).

Something to keep in mind.

phanta

#10 Post by phanta »

Oh! another minor hijack sorry :)

It's been 3 days since I got my ceramic braces (top and bottom) and I don't have a single sore!! I had some minor irritation on day 1, it was gone on day 2. I'm sure it's got to do something with my mouth Ph, diet etc of course... however, the fact that I use SLS-free toothpaste may also play a role I think.

kirst1583

#11 Post by kirst1583 »

Thanks for the info phanta - greatly appreciated.
For years i've only used Colgate toothpaste. I tried macleans triple stripe and developed lots of ulcers and so since then I hadn't been game enough to try anything else.
I never knew what the ingredient in the macleans was that caused it though!
I'm going to work soon (in a supermarket) and will check out the ingredients. It will be interesting.

Thats excellent news about not having any sores, especially after only 3 days! I find that I always know if teeth have moved becaused I get a new irritation forming where my mouth isn't used to it.

Silverwolftec2006

Baking Soda

#12 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

Well I don't rinse my teeth with baking soda, but I do use it with my Colgate Total to get a squeaky clean feeling. I have a problem with producing to much plaque on my lower molars and front teeth.

I find that using the baking soda not only helps with the plaque but also helps heal and prevent some of my canker sores as well. I tend to bite the insides of my cheeks, and boy those canker sores are one nasty bit of hornery.. :twisted:

I don't know if it will help anyone else but for me it is a big help for reducing plaque built up on your teeth. :D
Dare to Dream. Work hard to Succeed. Remember to smile!!
It makes people wonder what you are up to!

[/url]

Silverwolftec2006

Baking Soda Rinse

#13 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

I use the baking soda with my Colgate Total together as a mix. (Dab a little on the tooth brush with the paste.) I would have to say that is more my morning routine, I can not stand to have the fuzzy furry feeling of gym socks on my teeth.. Yuck..

Then of course, I generally give a good swish of Listerine or Peroxyl mint afterward. When I want to really want to power blast my tongue and my other problem areas I will just use the baking soda alone.

I guess that would be chalked up to personal preference, but I have gotten used to it over the course of time. I have used baking soda and warm water to rinse when I have had a sore tooth or a really bad canker sore.

If I have to use a salt water rinse.

I use 1 tsp. sea salt with 2 tsp. hydrogen peroxide and 1/4 c. warm water. Something that my grandmother used to give me when I had sore throat/canker sore/ or bothersome tooth. It's old school but it does the trick.
Dare to Dream. Work hard to Succeed. Remember to smile!!
It makes people wonder what you are up to!

[/url]