Swallowed bracket

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tmitchell

Swallowed bracket

#1 Post by tmitchell »

Oops...I apparently swallowed a bracket while eating my dinner. It was an end molar bracket with a hook on it. I will call my ortho first thing on Monday to get it replaced...but is there any harm in swallowing something like this?? :oops:
~ Top braces on 12/20/05 ~
~ Bottom braces on 3/14/06 ~

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree with KK. My ortho said the same thing. There is no harm whatsoever in swallowing a bracket...it will just pass through.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

The good news is that you were eating your dinner! I hope you had another couple of big pieces of bread with it! :lol:

I would call the ortho or a nurse, just to make sure. But if I were you, KK's post would have made me feel alot better and that is why I feel I can joke with you now.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Ugh...I think I swallowed a bracket on Saturday (remind me not to eat cheese straws again) as there is nothing attached to my last upper molar and the wire is alternating between floating in midair and jabbing into my tongue, making eating somewhat painful.

And to make matters worse, I'm stuck in a 3 day training course from today.

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

Lionfish You can cut the wire with a pair of nail sciossors or wire cutters to stop the wire annoying you, its simple to do and im sure your ortho wouldnt mind too much. If all else fails wax up ALOT.

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Dark_angel wrote: Lionfish You can cut the wire with a pair of nail sciossors or wire cutters to stop the wire annoying you, its simple to do and im sure your ortho wouldnt mind too much. If all else fails wax up ALOT.
Thanks for the advice.

I've been waxing like crazy and managed to get an early morning appointment today, so in an hour's time I should be fine.

wearetheborg

#7 Post by wearetheborg »

soooooooooo.... did the bracket come out ? :GapToothed:

tmitchell

#8 Post by tmitchell »

Thanks to all who offered advice or shared their personal experience with this type of situation! :)

As a newbie to braces, I was concerned that the swallowed bracket could have caused a problem in my digestive tract...only because of the hook on it. However, when I went to the ortho today to get a new bracket, the ortho asst told me not to worry about it. She said, just don't make a habit of it. Well...it wasn't like I intentionally swallowed the first one. I didn't know that it was MIA until I was brushing and flossing after dinner. Hopefully the new bracket is well attached...I don't want to swallow any more brackets...at least the ones with hooks...even though it is apparently OK if it does happen.
~ Top braces on 12/20/05 ~
~ Bottom braces on 3/14/06 ~

dena

#9 Post by dena »

I had to laugh a little at this...this seems like one of the top 10 "oh no, what if this happens..." fears for braces! I hope all goes well in replacing this bracket! :P

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

wearetheborg wrote:soooooooooo.... did the bracket come out ? :GapToothed:
Er, by the time I thought about "screening", um, you know what, it was probably too late. I suspect the errant bracket is now being mixed in an ocean current off the east coast of Oz. Unless some poor unsuspecting fish swallowed it...