My gums are growing over my brackets and bands...help

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rangerchic

My gums are growing over my brackets and bands...help

#1 Post by rangerchic »

I called the ortho and they said it was from lack of brushing, I don't believe this is true. My gums on some of the teeth mostly the back ones are just growing around them. What does this mean?

Rosann

mackenzie

#2 Post by mackenzie »

Mine kind of did that in the back, they're not growing, just swelling up from the stress of moving and everything. (I think, hopefully someone else can confirm?)

ronni

#3 Post by ronni »

I feel like mine are doing the same thing. Just over my molar bands. It doesn't hurt, but kinda worries me. :shock: I don't see how I could brush any more than I do now. I brush after every meal, sometimes, 4-5 times a day

spragers

#4 Post by spragers »

I have several areas where the gums have swelled up from the presence of the bands and brackets. Extra brushing / massaging of the gums might help, but mine aren't too terrible yet after over 2 years with braces on. WHen the brackets and bands come off, things should return to normal fairly quickly... I hope :)

lioninthelake

#5 Post by lioninthelake »

This is something you should get looked at during your next visit. I had this happen in one spot after a year and a half with no problems and it turns out a piece of cement had dislodged and gotten stuck under my gum. :yikes:

The ortho removed it and my gum went back to normal.

Be sure you're flossing really well back there, even though it's a real pain for the far back molars. I think the swelling might be indicative of something being where it shouldn't - food debris, cement debris, plaque, whatever.
In braces since May 2004

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

Mine have done this, particularly at the back.

It was actually a good thing for me, because it recovered a bit of exposed tooth neck that has caused extreme temperature sensitivity for over a year.

felicity_and_reece_mommie

#7 Post by felicity_and_reece_mommie »

I'm a dental assistant and I've seen this twice. You need to have a Gingivectomy. It is really gross the gums grow over the braces and we had to take a scapel and cut the gum tissue that was over the braces on top and bottom. It was kind of bloody. It is caused from not brushing well or flossing well. You need to contact your regular dentist.

Marzipan

#8 Post by Marzipan »

I asked my ortho about this and she said that sometimes the molar bands will become slightly sub-gingival (I think that's the word she used). It sounded normal.

strugglebuggy

#9 Post by strugglebuggy »

I am SO glad this topic has come up. I brush at least 3 times a day. I feel like my gum between my two back molars is "squished", if you will, between the band and my powerchains sometimes. I thought it was a freak of nature...lol- but it sounds that it's pretty common. I'll mention it at my next appointment, but I have a feeling it's just because things are moving around. Thanks!

eurydice

#10 Post by eurydice »

My two molar bands on the bottom have done exactly the same thing, I really freaked out about it to start with but the ortho said not to worry, her exact words were... "Don't worry, we're not going to leave you like that!!". That was about 4 months ago and although the bands are still sunk into the gums, they haven't gone any deeper and seem quite settled. I use a floss threader to get the gunk out and make sure I used a good mouthwash. Don't worry!! It will be all right!

Euryx
Braced 3 May 2005

Brooke

#11 Post by Brooke »

This seems to happen with mostly everyone. My ortho has also seen that my gums were somewhat swollen, and didnt seem to mention it. I think it just comes with the territory of having metal bands shoved into your gums. :roll:
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

rangerchic

hmmm

#12 Post by rangerchic »

Well I go to the ortho tomorrow so we will see what this is all about! Weird enough I just had a sinus infection and was on levaquin, my gums have went down a little, but when I floss they bleed like crazy b/c I have to cut into them when I floss! OUCH and GROSS! THings are going good its been about 6mths, my gap where I had a lower center tooth pulled is closing up well! Thanks

Rosann

johnnys_angel

#13 Post by johnnys_angel »

When I had braces, my gums came 'down' (and up on the lower arch, I guess..lol) a lot and I was really freaked out, especially in the back. My orthodontist said that since they weren't puffy, bloody, or red that it was just the 'usual' gum irritation and that it would return to normal within a week of my debanding. It turns out he was right, in my case :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

johnnys_angel

#14 Post by johnnys_angel »

When I had braces, my gums came 'down' (and up on the lower arch, I guess..lol) a lot and I was really freaked out, especially in the back. My orthodontist said that since they weren't puffy, bloody, or red that it was just the 'usual' gum irritation and that it would return to normal within a week of my debanding. It turns out he was right, in my case :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

bearkdoa

Re: My gums are growing over my brackets and bands...help

#15 Post by bearkdoa »

I've had braces for just over 4 years (So ready to get them off...) and my gums do this as well. I try not to touch it, but sometimes I let it bleed, and that will let the swelling down a bit. It swells around my back bracket that connects to my molar. Orajel (sp) is my best friend. numb up your mouth for a few hours, and soon enough you'll forget about it, and it'll stop hurting. Just keep going!