Facial effect of overjet correction. LARGE overjet!!

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Invisaguy

Facial effect of overjet correction. LARGE overjet!!

#1 Post by Invisaguy »

Hi Doc's,
I know this is a constant question but here me out.
I am currently in invisalign treatment. I have a lot of issues that are being corrected by invisalign. I have a very narrow arch, along with a very large overjet (12-14mm) but getting better. Also have a problem with a deep bite which is being corrected also. My question is what kind of facial effect will correcting this kind of overjet have? My upper lip protrudes out along with the area surrounding the upper lips. Almost like a Homer effect (Simpsons) with the upper lip erea. Also with my arch being widened (which is already has significantly) will this have effect with my facial profile? I'm sorry I do not have pics at the moment but can get some in a short while. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

dr.j

overjet

#2 Post by dr.j »

Typically the lip will fall back with the front teeth coming back in a 1:1 ratio to a point (units in mm's). That is alot of overjet to correct with Invisalign. Any jaw surgery or extractions planned?

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho

Invisaguy

#3 Post by Invisaguy »

Hi Dr. J,
Bit of a complicated story. I had extractions done from a previous treatment that never got completed due to me moving to the States. With this previous treatment I had headgear to help adjust my lower jaw forward. This along with 4 extractions U/L setup me up to be ready for treatment (which only took me eight years to restart!). What invisalign is doing for me now is widening up my (upper) arch -- already 8mm if widening completed, closing the gaps between bi-cupsid and canine where the extractions took place. Then it's pretty much moving back the outer incisors while dropping down the front. Believe me the change is already dramatic. My lowers are almost finished and look great! I'm going to put together a blog in the braces stories section soon. You will be able to see where I started from to where I currently am.