Can you have braces on a crown?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

H Rogers

Can you have braces on a crown?

#1 Post by H Rogers »

My question is how do you brace a crown? Will a bracket stay glued to a crown? I was told a crown would have to wear a band but would it pull of the crown when its time to remove the band? Any help on this please. I get lower braces next week and I have a crown on my 2nd molar on the right.

KittyW

#2 Post by KittyW »

Yes, you can band a crown and brackets can be glued on them as well. I have bands on my lower molars (crowned) and brackets on a bridge and crown (upper molars). So far, so good! As for pulling off the crown at the end of treatment? It would depend on how well cemented your crowns are. I just had a lower band removed from one of my lower crowns recently (I damaged it by grinding my teeth). It peeled right off! My dentist and ortho have both informed me that I will probably need to replace some of the crowns and the bridge at the end of treatment because my bite will have changed and the crowns will have be fine tuned for that.

Hope this helps!!

Kitty
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

H Rogers

#3 Post by H Rogers »

8) Thank you KittyW! Your information was helpful. I will ask my Orthodontist next week if he thinks I will have to redo my crown after treatment. I really had not thought about that. Thanks again!

KittyW

#4 Post by KittyW »

YW. What I meant to write was that the BAND peeled right off the crown. :) The crown was just fine. :)
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

Nikkiekoala

#5 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have all my back teeth crowned, they all have bands. The ortho had to remove one band so he could get on other bands, long story, the band came off the crown with no problem. I had a bracket on one tooth that was crowned but it didn't stay on. I think most orthos prefer to band crowned teeth because brackets generally don't bond well to crowns.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

Attagirl2

#6 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi. I have 4 gold crowns on my first molars. The orthodontist originally just glued the brackets on them. Slowly, I have had to have the bracket replaced twice on three of them. The second time around, he banded them. As for needing new crowns. My dentist said I would probably need some new crowns when all was done. I mentioned this to my orthodontist last time I was in and he didn't think I would need to replace any of them. He said it was like buy a Spam to replace a Ford - money... Since he is aware that money is an issue for me, he is working to keep what I have (although, I think he would have done that anyway).

But, that said, I am sure it depends on each individual and what all has to be done to correct the bite.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

H Rogers

#7 Post by H Rogers »

:D Thanks alot everyone for your replies. I really do feel better. I was really concerned before. I'll post an update after I get my bottom braces put on November 4th. 8)