scaling and root planing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

silverr11

scaling and root planing

#1 Post by silverr11 »

Hi, i have some recession and i can see some red spots on my gums and i dont them to get worse.
Can i get deep cleaning ( scaling and root planing ) while im on my braces?
have anyone tried it before?
my ortho wasnt sure and told me shell ask the periodentist but didnt give me any answers yet.
thanks.

LadyLaura89

Re: scaling and root planing

#2 Post by LadyLaura89 »

Hi,
I had to get scaling and planing done before I got braces. My orthodontist wanted me to get that done as a precaution, since braces can "age" your teeth quite a bit. I also have to go to the periodontist for a cleaning every 8 months while I have braces on. I am not sure if they can do the thorough scaling and planing with braces on, but i don't see why they couldn't. It is not so bad, they use a numbing gel before starting, and your teeth will feel so clean afterwards.
Good luck!

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

I've been wondering about standard dental cleanings while braced: do you have to have your wires removed by the ortho, or does the dentist just clean around them as well as possible? I am hoping for the latter, as I can't imagine having to schedue three appointments that close together (remove wires at ortho, dental cleaning, new wires).

Thanks!

Robynellie

#4 Post by Robynellie »

Going in shortly to figure this one out. I will let you know afterwards

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

Robynellie wrote:Going in shortly to figure this one out. I will let you know afterwards
Thank you! :D

MissEvaH

#6 Post by MissEvaH »

To answer the question about dental cleanings: my hygienist has always just worked around my wires. I've never had them removed for a cleaning.

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

MissEvaH wrote:To answer the question about dental cleanings: my hygienist has always just worked around my wires. I've never had them removed for a cleaning.
Thank you! I have a cleaning due in Feb or March and will still be braced. Knowing they can work around the wires makes me feel much better.