Bite plate misery!!!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Watson74

Bite plate misery!!!

#1 Post by Watson74 »

Im a 38 year old who had her top Radiance braces and lower metal braces fitted yesterday along with my dreaded bite plate :( My ortho said that I would have to wear a fixed one due to my deep overbite, but never realized how awful it would be. I can barely speak & cannot chew anything as my teeth don't meet at all. The speech part is awful as Im slurring & lisping so badly, and Im due back at work in the next few days. Just wondered how other people found wearing them & approx how long they are usually worn???

Kipepeo

Re: Bite plate misery!!!

#2 Post by Kipepeo »

Hi Watson. I never had a bite plate so I can't help you with your questions. I just wanted to offer my support. I did wear a spring retainer for awhile, and that made me drool and lisp pretty bad. I'm sorry you are having these issues. I hope you get used to it quickly.

BetsyBug

#3 Post by BetsyBug »

Hey there!!! I'm sorry about your troubles with the bite plate. I had bite turbos which made essentially does the same thing for almost 6 months before my bite opened up enough to take them off. I hated them for the first few weeks, but then I got used to them, and was able to talk again. I think it was a blessing really as I didn't realize how sore some of my teeth really were because I couldn't chomp down on them like I can now (ouch). Keep smiling it will get better. :)
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

Watson74

#4 Post by Watson74 »

Thanks Kipepeo & Elizabeth I know the end result with be worth the pain & lisping. Will just have to keep talking/singing until I get my mouth working properly.
:lol:

smilehope

#5 Post by smilehope »

Hi, Watson. I have just finished 6 months with a bite plate. There don't seem to be a huge number of people on here who have them. The advantage I had was mine was removable, but I could only take it out for cleaning so it was there all the time. The lisp at first is horrendous, isn't it? Your tongue doesn't have anywhere to go. I remember the first day gagging quite a lot. I didn't ever completely lose my lisp, but it definitely got better over the first few days, and then the next few weeks after that.
Even the eating gets better. At first I had only one tooth meeting the plate, but as more incisors joined in and the molars got a bit closer (they're not touching yet even now) you start to eat more and more normally.
I hope it goes well for you. Lots of moaning about it on my story page if you find it helpful!
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

Angel269

#6 Post by Angel269 »

Hi

I have a removable plate, which I am wearing now as I type this message. I hate it and am just relieved it is removable. I have had it about a month and a half-was told up to about 3 months.

Have been told to wear it at night and as often as I can in the day (when im at home, not out and ortho is aware of this). My speech is awful, alot better than it was :-)

Sorry I can't be of much help on the discussion of eating with it or anything but can definitely empathise with the speech though.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

#7 Post by 1213 »

I don't like this dumb ass telephone biteplate in my mouth. It is at my top teeth, and is NOT removable. :-=

#8 Post by 1213 »

And flower

#9 Post by 1213 »

Why do they censor the f word?

Steph30

#10 Post by Steph30 »

I feel your pain, although mine was removable, thank god!!!.. At first my speech was so awful, and my dental assistant who fit it made me leave it in to make my next apt and I was sooo horrified. My speech got better in time, I wore it as often as possible, but never to work. It was out within probably 3 months. I had a nightmare I was choking on a mini skateboard and I woke up actually choking on my bite plate! My teeth moved pretty fast so after that happened my ortho switched me to bite turbos. Hang in there, speech does get better, keep practicing!, time flies either way and before you know it they will take it out.

Nozzelnut

#11 Post by Nozzelnut »

1213 wrote:Why do they censor the f word?
Although this board is oriented towards adults; there might be some young folks looking or reading. No need to swear.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

chitowntech216

#12 Post by chitowntech216 »

Sorry to hear your experience is going rough! It does get easier!

Most of the patients I work with have the removable bite plate and I think yours is the first I"ve heard of one that's non removable. It does get much easier and things will get better. I tell most my patients to read out loud or even pick your favorite TV show and turn on the captions. It helps alot! Hang in there! *hugs*