what are my rights ?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceguy123

what are my rights ?

#1 Post by braceguy123 »

can an orthodontist refuse to give me a copy of my records ?I just finished orthodontic treatment that has left me with a dead canine tooth and cross-bite that i did not have before treatment( told to me by my dentist )i previously asked the ortho for a copy of my records (when he told me my braces would be off next visit )and he told me no and that i wouldn't understand them anyway so i tried again telling him i was giving the copy to my dentist and he said no again stating we don't give out records ?i am living in the republic of Ireland is this standard practice ?

FlyByNight

Re: what are my rights ?

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

I'm in Canada but that sounds like a bunch of BS. They're your records. Keep asking him or maybe call the office.

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

The records are yours (At least in the US), they are part of the cost of treatment. It sounds as though he has something to hide -- and while you may not understand all the details, another orthodontist, perhaps one retained by an attorney on your behalf, can understand. I'd recommend you make your position known very strongly, that you understand you have the dead tooth and a cross bite now, and will be seeking additional consultations - perhaps including legal. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

braceguy123

#4 Post by braceguy123 »

FlyByNight djspeece thanks for the replies ortho does not want to know made an appointment with his assistant only to have his office to call back the next day to tell me the ortho has cancelled my appointment that he has done all he can for me and that he will see me in December for a retainer check .i have since had an emergency visit to my dentist because i developed a fever with chills needle like headaches and severe upper jaw pain he was great took ex-rays and gave me amoxicillin and ibuprofen 400 rx to help with pain(and didn't even charge me) that initially did help but all symptoms have returned with a vengeance and have to wait three weeks to a month at least to see the endontist again 2.15 am here now cant sleep due to pain things are looking bleak

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

I'm not clear on why you need to wait so long to see an endodontist. What infection is being treated, exactly? Is it an abscess in your jaw? Were any aspirations (needle inserted to withdraw specimen from an abscess) or cultures collected to help determine the correct antibiotic, or is your dentist treating you empirically (meaning based on what usually works)? If you have an endodontic issue, I think that is going to have to be resolved as the root cause (pardon the pun) otherwise you'll be on antibiotics forever (and would possibly explain the return of your symptoms), and these things can get out of hand in a hurry. Get thee to an endodontist immediately.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Bluebag123

#6 Post by Bluebag123 »

Sounds awful. Yeah you can get your records whenever you want

pammy128

#7 Post by pammy128 »

Yes get your records. They are yours. You can ask another ortho what standard practice is if you are unsure.

KittyNat

#8 Post by KittyNat »

There may be a procedure to follow. Maybe you need to submit a written request? Surely under data protection, you are entitled to your own records??