July-September surgery buddys

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

criminity

July-September surgery buddys

#1 Post by criminity »

Hey everyone! I've finally got a possible surgery date of 26 July! it's been about 1 year and 4 months since I got braces. I'm getting either a 1 peice or 2 peice lefort 1. I'm thinking 2 peice because they made iowa spaces between my lateral incisors and canines. Today they put on surgical hooks, steel tied all my upper and lower teeth, and took 2 diffrent x-rays. It took almost 2 hours! I'm so excited and yet nervous! :crazy: I know the closer I get to surgery my nervousness will grow exponentially haha. Ive got my first pre op appointment on july 13th so hopefully they will confrim the surgery date. I hope I won't regret anything. I'm fearful of surgery, like what if I wake up during the surgery or if I can't breath when I wake up. :shock: People who have had surgery, how do you feel about your results after the surgery? How difficult the first week?

sarzo14

Re: July-September surgery buddys

#2 Post by sarzo14 »

My surgeon was talking about surgery in september but we'll set the date in july, right about when you have surgery. I have a tooth thatbhurts me a bit, the dentist fixed (but I need another xray scan to confirm it). And I'm just waiting for my ortho to give us a green light. After that the surgery shiuld be quick. I have some of the same fears, what if I wake up during sirgery, what if I don't like the result, what if there's a damage in a functional nerve (the ones that moves the lips). What if I have permanent numbness itc. But I thibk this fears are going to be multiplied the closer I get to my surgery. Good luck!!

phlpsun

#3 Post by phlpsun »

Just had surgery on Wednesday (moved upper jaw forward, lower jaw back). Surgery was done before I knew it. Literally all i remember was getting rolled into surgery room, getting anesthesia and when i woke up I was in post op care. The first few days after are probably the toughest. I'm struggling with the swelling, discomfort and trouble sleeping right now but hopefully the swelling/numbeness dies down soon. Heard day 3 is the worst in terms of swelling, so hopefully once i get thorough tomorrow, it will be smooth sailing from there. I was also really lucky that I didn't need my jaws wired shut at all, so I can drink from a cup very slowly/carefully as well as brush easily too. Good luck!!

HikaRiku2

#4 Post by HikaRiku2 »

I'm scheduled for jaw surgery this Wednesday on July 5th. I'm getting Lefort I - 2 piece and IVRO. I'm gonna be wired shut for 5-6 weeks. Im hoping surgery will turn out okay with no major complications or relapse. I'm getting nervous and hope I got mostly what I need.

phlpsun

#5 Post by phlpsun »

Good luck, you'll be fine! I'm on day 5 of recovery now and swelling has gone done a lot and I feel much better, the first few days will be the toughest. Maybe you'll get lucky and won't need wires, I was supposed to be wired for 2 weeks - then transitioning into bands. Ended up not having to be wired at all and just got bands today.

wilechile

#6 Post by wilechile »

i finally had my surgery last week wednesday!!! i stayed in the hospital for 2 nights and today is my 6th day post-op. i think i'm doing pretty well, i'm like jaundice-type yellow in some areas on my jaw, neck cus i'm lightskin lol, have substantial swelling, and am banded shut. i can walk, move about, and pretty much have the same level of energy as before surgery cus i've always been easily fatigued. i've been drinking ensure, soups, juices all week, and i want to eat some rice n beans sooooo bad. i just can't wait for the swelling to go down and for the rubber bands to be taken off so i can resume normal activity :(((

phlpsun

#7 Post by phlpsun »

How is your recovery going wilechile? Also, did you get double jaw surgery or only one? We had surgery on the same exact day.

My swelling has probably gone done be like 60-70% I'd say and it's not that uncomfortable anymore. My face has been getting pretty tingly/painful though i guess with the nerves recovering. Most of the numbness that I have left is from the bottom of my eyes down to the top of my lips. My top lip is still very numb, which is pretty annoying and feels terrible. My bottom lip and chin pretty much has full feeling back though. I'm also completely bruised down to my chest with a jaundice-like yellow cause I'm pretty pale too. I have 2 rubber bands on either side of my teeth. Other than that, recovery has been improving and I hope that swelling goes down more and I start to gain more feeling in my face in the next week.

wilechile

#8 Post by wilechile »

phlpsun wrote:How is your recovery going wilechile? Also, did you get double jaw surgery or only one? We had surgery on the same exact day.

My swelling has probably gone done be like 60-70% I'd say and it's not that uncomfortable anymore. My face has been getting pretty tingly/painful though i guess with the nerves recovering. Most of the numbness that I have left is from the bottom of my eyes down to the top of my lips. My top lip is still very numb, which is pretty annoying and feels terrible. My bottom lip and chin pretty much has full feeling back though. I'm also completely bruised down to my chest with a jaundice-like yellow cause I'm pretty pale too. I have 2 rubber bands on either side of my teeth. Other than that, recovery has been improving and I hope that swelling goes down more and I start to gain more feeling in my face in the next week.
omg surgery twins!!!

my recovery is fine, i think. i only had my bottom jaw done. my top lip was never numb, and my bottom lip + my chin are still numb. i still have some swelling which is annoying af! i also have two rubber bands on either side of my teeth. i'm supposed to go see my surgeon tomorrow for my follow up - i really hope he takes the rubber bands off and upgrades me to soft foods!

jackie0789

#9 Post by jackie0789 »

Hey guys! Getting double jaw surgery on July 11th. Had my pre-op appointment at the hospital today. Feeling super nervous! I got braces in November 2014. They said that the braces would only be on for two years and that they could likely fix my underbite with just elastics. Then I ended up having receding gums so badly that I had to go in for a gum graft ASAP in October 2016 and realized that elastics were not going to do the trick and that I would need surgery. So here I am! 4 days to go till surgery and I'm really hoping that everything will go smoothly.

sarzo14

#10 Post by sarzo14 »

My surgery is not going to happen in semptember as first thought, as my ortho has some light tweeking to do, and then my surgeon is on vacation. We'll set the date in september, and my surgery is not going to be before november.
Good luck to all of you, keep us posted how it's going. Jackie good luck in 3 days ;)

HikaRiku2

#11 Post by HikaRiku2 »

I had my surgery Wednesday so I'm 3 weeks post op today. I've been using my pain med sporadically and trying to reduce the doasge too cause I don't want to become hooked or anything. I can usually go 5 hours or so until the pain is becoming to unbearable with half doses so that's good. If I message a bit off, it's from the PK lol. The surgeron's resident staff said everything went as planned. Lefort 1 in 2 pieces with a little bit of impaction with IVRO on lower jaw, wired shut and in a splint. The wiring and splint has been tough on me cause it's so tight and painful at times that I think my teeth will break when I swallow! It's crazy.
I've used the turmeric and vitamin B complex. I bought the Chinese med and was gonna use it but once I got home from the hospital, I don't experience bleeding. I'd use it to help with swelling but I don't want to put too much too quickly into my body. My swelling is mostly in the middle of my face since I've been icing the sides of my face. I hope the swelling will subside in the near future!

criminity

#12 Post by criminity »

Hey everyone, I had my pre-op appointment today. Last Sunday my surgeon asked me to come in to take molds and some pictures to make today's appointment smoother. They took about a million molds of my teeth which took about an hour that day. Today my surgeon took a lot of measurements, asked about my medical history and things of that nature. He explained that my midline is off on both my upper and lower jaw but my low jaw is only off by 1mm, so he's suggesting I only get a 2 piece lefort 1. He said more risk is involved and it's not that necessary to get the bottom jaw moved. In the mean time he's going to preform a mock surgery on my molds to make sure if I'll need double jaw surgery or not. I got the chance to ask all my questions and I feel comfortable with him as my surgeon.

Regarding the anesthesia awareness I brought up in my first post to put any one else's mind at ease; I did quite a bit of research and found that the chances of it happening are very low to begin with. Older studies suggest the odds of it happening are 1 in 1000 but a more accurate chance of it happening are 1 in 19,600 or .005% of the time. Of those people who report experiencing anesthesia awareness (the 1 in 19,600) only a small portion of them feel anything. Most times they may remember voices or sounds but are otherwise still numb to any pain. The majority of anesthesia awareness happens either before or after the surgery has even occurred. Anyways I hope this helps anyone considering surgery, it certainly helped me. I feel a lot more comfortable being put under though, still nervous of course. Of course there are still risks but knowing what they are and the chances of them happening help me come to terms what I'm getting myself into. They say knowledge is power right?

Here is one of the links I used to research anesthesia awareness. http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... g-surgery/

Hope your doing ok Jackie! Let us know how everything was when you get the chance.

Good luck to you sarzo! I think the majority of people who get this surgery are happy with their results. It probably wouldn't be such a common surgery if there were a high occurrence of negative results like a damaged functional nerve. We just gotta hope for the best!

Thanks for sharing everyone and good luck! I'll try to write my next post after my surgery on the 26th.

lalcharlie

#13 Post by lalcharlie »

Hi guys,had my double jaw surgery on Wenesday 12th July 2017.Day 4 today,better than yesterday when i felt so nauseated. Swelling has peaked (I hope) and I have feeling in my lips and chin since the day of surgery which Im thankful for. Midline off by a couple of mms bottom teeth. Ortho appoint day 8 which Im dreading (a 5 hr drive round trip) as Im sure he'll put bands on and they will be agony.
Im 45,no spring chicken, have 2 small kids and a husband doing his best to keep the house tidy (different expectations) and am partly regretting the decision to have this done as I see the impact its having on everyone around me.
Support would be helpful.....how are you all coping?

jackie0789

#14 Post by jackie0789 »

Hey guys! I made it! I'm a week post op today and feeling pretty good :). The surgery went as expected and I got my first set of X-rays yesterday and they said that they look really good! The last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist telling me I'd be asleep in 30 seconds then I woke up in the recovery room not even believing that it was done lol. Anyways I spent that night and the next night at the hospital. They gave me morphine only for the first day (it made me feel super nauseous) then switched to liquid Tylenol 3s which I am still taking now but a lot less often. The pain is a lot more manageable now, the first 4 or 5 days I needed to take something every 4 hours but now I can go about 6 without much pain. I have elastics in which were only added in yesterday to guide my bite. Hopefully I won't have these in for too long! I find the biggest struggle has been eating/drinking everything through a syringe. It takes me so long to finish anything to eat I just get frustrated because my lower lip and chin are still completely numb so I can't feel if anything drips which sucks. I've been using a mirror when I eat lol. The surgeon did say that he doesn't think any of the nerves are permanently damaged though so I should regain all my feeling at some point. But my energy level has been pretty good, I actually went into Walmart yesterday and I had some people staring lol but it felt good to actually go somewhere public rather than stay in my bed all day which I have been doing a lot. I am still pretty swollen and have some bruising but it's slowly starting to go down. I got to see my before and after X-rays yesterday which made me so ridiculously happy! Definitely made the recovery feel that much more worth it. It's such an exciting thing to see.

Goodluck on the 26th criminity! I'm sure everything will go great. I was insanely nervous right before the surgery but that was honestly the worst part.

To everyone else in here, happy recovery! We can do this!

LovelyLeah

#15 Post by LovelyLeah »

Hello All, after having my first surgery ever on Sept 14th 2016 (SARPE), I'm set to have my double jaw surgery on Aug 30th 2017! As everyone says, I'm a big ball of excited/nervous/curious/scared. One day I think I'll be able to handle it all, I'm a year post-SARPE surgery and can't quite imagine a more horrible device then the expander (no pain really, just mega annoying) and the next I'm having anxiety attacks lol But anywho, prior to braces and SARPE, I had/have a 12mm overbite/overjet and open bite. I'm not too please with my nose and hope it goes down a bit. I haven't even consulted with my surgeon since my last SARPE appointment probably back in December 2016. The next time I'll see my surgeon (who's name is DR.Blood btw :huh: ) is less then a week before surgery. The office makes it seem so routine, not sure if I should be concerned or relieved. Going in for the full shebang, DBJ, not quite sure of the mm yet but I have a list of questions to ask and that is one of them. We'll all make it through....right?! :heart: