Revision Surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sadoozie

Revision Surgery?

#1 Post by Sadoozie »

So i had my double jaw surgery almost two weeks ago, on May 17th. It was a Lefort 1 with a three part split (4 front teeth pulled down) and BSSO where they pulled the lower jaw 10mm forward. Already the next day after the surgery i could feel that my bottom jaw was hitting the split they put on the top jaw crookedly, my teeth were only touching on my right side. My bite was still kind of open and there was a misalignment. I expressed this to the surgeons and the first thing they said was that it either was due to my jaw popping off during the surgery or it will require a revision. For my 10 day check up, the surgeon confirmed that he believes i need a revision and that they would like to do it asap. It really has me bummed out, especially since i felt like recovery from this surgery was a lot harder than the SARPE, i was out for 7 hours during the surgery and felt terrible afterwards. How unlucky could i be, does anybody know how often these things happen?

Should i be concerned about a revision so fast, or is it better to do it now instead of waiting for everything to heal? The surgeon says that the good thing about doing it now before the bone heals, is that it would be a smaller surgery where they just will moves the plates and screws around. I still can't feel anything from the tip of my nose to the bottom of my chin.
Lower braces: Nov 11th 2014
SARPE: March 10th 2015
Expander out: Sep. 8th 2015 (8mm)
Upper braces: Sep 8th 2015
Lefort I + BSSO: May 17th 2017
Revision surgery: June 09 2017
Debraced: Feb 2018

Expandedmaxilla

Re: Revision Surgery?

#2 Post by Expandedmaxilla »

I think it would be wise to get a second opinion; It might not be wise to put your trust in the doctor who botched your surgery...

Sadoozie

#3 Post by Sadoozie »

This was another surgeon at the same hospital. But im also going to contact my dentist tomorrow and get his opinion one what options i have. If its something that can be treated with the braces then maybe ill pass on another surgery.

Sadoozie

#4 Post by Sadoozie »

Well, since nobody could answer me I guess i might as well answer myself, that way anyone in the same situation in the future can have some support.

I went through with the revision surgery 3 weeks after my first double jaw surgery. The surgeon's plan was to remove all the screws and plates and replace them with new ones. They moved the top jaw 2 mm to the left, in order to fit the midline of my skull and then position the bottom jaw accordingly afterwards. The whole operation took about 4 hours, 2.5 hours of it being actual surgery time. I was released from the hospital the following day.

The nerves on my chin felt almost the same way as they did a day before the second surgery, so there was really no actual setback in that regard. Since im only 4.5 weeks from my first surgery right now, everything is still quiet numb, although improving by the day. This was one of my major worries about getting a revision surgery, the nerves. Luckily, it seems that they have been affected minimally. Swelling hasn't been that big of an issue either, but swelling correlates to the amount of time that the surgeons are tugging at your facial tissue and since this surgery was less invasive, the swelling hasn't been that bad. Ofcourse, this second surgery has added more scar tissue to the areas that had to be re-sewn, which isn't good but hopefully can be overcome through yawning exercises and making ducklips.

I'm glad that the hospital took responsibility for their actions and offered a second surgery right away. So sorry that people in the U.S. struggle so much with this stuff and insurance. Go European universal healthcare. I'm glad to be on the other side of this and looking forward again after 3 weeks of feeling down about everything. My bite fits right into the split on my top jaw now and i don't even need to wear elastics. For anyone that is in the same situation as me, stay positive and know that everything can be fixed.

Ravenclaw

#5 Post by Ravenclaw »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad your revision surgery went well. Good luck on your recovery.