Braces at 41

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Plumwild

Braces at 41

#1 Post by Plumwild »

Happy to have found this forum! I'm 41 and in braces for the first time. As a teen I was told I needed braces for four years, or jaw surgery as an adult. I refused to start treatment (wish my parents would've pushed me into it!) and as I've aged, I've been having issues with TMJ. Tried to treat that with appliances but due to my bite (deep, overbite, midlines are off) had to discontinue treatment after five days. Decided it was time for braces. I have ceramic on top for now, 6 weeks in. Will be getting bottom metal in about 10 weeks. I'm assuming I'll get build ups or bite turbos so that my front top teeth don't hit the bottom brackets. So far I haven't been too miserable, but my kids both tell me "just wait till you get the bottom ones!" :crazy:
I didn't expect to have my teeth take turns hurting, my bite to feel different depending on the day, and the wiggly teeth! I always thought they'd hurt a few days after an adjustment and then settle and be just fine until the next adjustment. Ha!! I'm learning! After putting both my kids through braces, it's my turn. :D I've been told treatment time is 18 months.. I'm preparing myself for longer and just want to be done by the time my daughter graduates high school (June 2019)

LisaK

Re: Braces at 41

#2 Post by LisaK »

Hi there! Im new to the board also. I just got mine just over a week ago. Top and bottom at the same time. I feel your pain. My teeth feel wiggly also. I guess that comes with braces. I didnt think that could happen, but once you think about it, it makes sense..lol Im 38 right now. My treatment is supposed to be 18months. I really thought it would be longer with all the issues that Ive had. Im hoping for the bid 40 Ill have my braces off and straight teeth. Thats my goal!..lol.. Good luck!

Twangsnap

#3 Post by Twangsnap »

Welcome to the board and the journey - great that you've lived through it vicariously with your kids, you have some idea of the twists and turns along the way (they're right about the bottom braces, sorry!). I'm 42 and nearing the end of treatment after 12 months. In theory I'll be getting debonded in May but a few last minute issues have arisen so I'm not holding my breath.

The nice thing about the first part of the treatment is all the movement, I found it very motivating! Good luck, it's quite a ride sometimes but totally worth it...

bretthov

#4 Post by bretthov »

Welcome to the board. I have just rejoined as was supposed to get them over a year ago and had to wait due to some sleep apnea issues. Im 51 and getting mine in two months. Clear on top aad metal on bottom is the plan unless i end up having to have tooth removed on top due to crowding, then its meta both top and bottom. Good for you to take the step and get this done, ive liked this board as found many other adults who have braces and can relate offer advice. Hope your treatment goes well!

flowers4kelly

#5 Post by flowers4kelly »

I am so glad I found this forum ! I am 45 and have been braced for 4 weeks, uppers and lowers. Most days I just hate them, but I know that the end result is worth the hassle for a small amount of time in the grand scheme of things . (18 - 24 months) The bite turbos are the worst , I have 6 total on my uppers to prevent hitting my bottom brackets . The ortho said, oh, it will take a little getting used to . Translation , you won't be able to chew properly until the end of treatment . :yikes: I wasn't prepared for the changes in my bite, but hey, who really is? I have not seen hardly any tooth movement which bothers me some as I've seen most people post that noticeable movement happened very quickly . I have moderate crowding all in the social uppers and lowers, so I know it won't happen overnight , but man, can I just get something in return for the pain and suffering , lol?!? Good luck to you all!

bretthov

#6 Post by bretthov »

Saw them comment on the bite stops/turbos. How long has it taken to get used to them? I have major overbite and was told I'd be getting bite turbos for period of time until the overbite improves and no loner in danger of breaking off a lower bracket. how long do you have to have your bite turbos on for? does food get stuck in them at all and do you have to refrain from certain foods with them?

Thanks

flowers4kelly

#7 Post by flowers4kelly »

bretthov wrote:Saw them comment on the bite stops/turbos. How long has it taken to get used to them? I have major overbite and was told I'd be getting bite turbos for period of time until the overbite improves and no loner in danger of breaking off a lower bracket. how long do you have to have your bite turbos on for? does food get stuck in them at all and do you have to refrain from certain foods with them?

Thanks
Speaking for myself , I am still not quite used to them, chewing is a real challenge as they are on my molars. My understanding is that I will have them for the duration of my treatment. Good times! Food does not get stuck . I haven't tried steak yet or burgers . Chicken has to be cut into small pieces . You will figure it out as you go along. Good luck !
Rock and Roll Girl

bretthov

#8 Post by bretthov »

thanks or the reply back on the bite turbos - good to know. good luck to you, too on treatment!

Lovelyteeth

#9 Post by Lovelyteeth »

A week after I turned 41 I had my braces installed. It was hard and painful at first especially first 6 weeks but fast forward 15 months or so and I'm on the home stretch. Best thing I did. Hang in there. It will be worth it.
As each day passes I'm getting closer and closer to my dream smile.

AlluvialPlains

#10 Post by AlluvialPlains »

I'm one week from my 44th birthday, and have metal uppers and lowers. Doc says they will be on for about 2 years! My teeth hurt, my cheeks are raw, and I still can't chew anything (today is day 5).

bracesat41

#11 Post by bracesat41 »

I am 41 and get my braces put on Friday, extract to baby canines and expose the adult canines next Friday. Not looking forward to this.. I would be totally fine if I didn't have to walk around with 2 holes in my teeth and have the surgery. :ThumbsDown:

bracesat41

#12 Post by bracesat41 »

Ok so they are on. This sucks :ThumbsDown:

erin5550

#13 Post by erin5550 »

bracesat41 wrote:Ok so they are on. This sucks :ThumbsDown:
Give them a couple of weeks. I promise you'll get used to them. It really does suck at first, no lies. Wait till they powerchain you. Holy hell. That's pain, but it too, will subside. :HugeGrin:

bracesat41

#14 Post by bracesat41 »

Give them a couple of weeks. I promise you'll get used to them. It really does suck at first, no lies. Wait till they powerchain you. Holy hell. That's pain, but it too, will subside. :HugeGrin:[/quote]

LOL! :( Thanks! Already I have 2 of the ties half off and its causing the braces to push hard on my teeth (in the wrong direction).. AND my teeth are pushing hard on 2 of the brackets as well. I have some build up of glue of some molars to help not push on them, but I must grind my teeth really hard as the build ups are not so built up after 3 sleeps! :shock: Thank goodness they will see me tomorrow to fix this, as it is hurting a lot.. and not just the regular pain (which I can handle).

jk40

#15 Post by jk40 »

Another member of the 40+ club checking in!

Just had mine fitted last week, pain is OK mainly because 1/3 of the brackets fell off a couple of hours after fitting! The bottom ones are now back on but I still have three gaps up top.