Benefits of a waterpick

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenabee100

Benefits of a waterpick

#1 Post by Jenabee100 »

Hello. I've had my braces in for 7 months now and have never used a water pick. In your personal opinion, does I using a water pick help make Brace removal progress on schedule or shorter? Thanks.

EWUgal15

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

A WaterPik is a great complement to flossing (definitely not a substitute for flossing), overall hygiene, and blasting bits of food away from your brackets and out from underneath wires, but its highly unlikely that use of a WaterPik will shorten your treatment time.

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

I've read enough comments here from people who switched from string floss to a Waterpik and how much they get congratulated by their dentist on how well they are flossing. It's nearly impossible to get floss between my teeth so I just bought one.

One question...do you let the water kind of run out of the corner of your mouth as you use it? Or periodically spit it out? Or both? I used it for the first time time tonight and it was interesting. I've never used one before so I used the slow flow tip for now.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

Beckett wrote:One question...do you let the water kind of run out of the corner of your mouth as you use it? Or periodically spit it out? Or both? I used it for the first time time tonight and it was interesting. I've never used one before so I used the slow flow tip for now.
Both. It depends on what area of the mouth I'm working on, but usually I just have my mouth hanging open and let the water run out where it may. I am a messy WaterPik user.

carrieann

#5 Post by carrieann »

EWUgal15 wrote:
Beckett wrote:One question...do you let the water kind of run out of the corner of your mouth as you use it? Or periodically spit it out? Or both? I used it for the first time time tonight and it was interesting. I've never used one before so I used the slow flow tip for now.
Both. It depends on what area of the mouth I'm working on, but usually I just have my mouth hanging open and let the water run out where it may. I am a messy WaterPik user.
Miss sensitive teeth (that's me) just ordered a Waterpik! My ortho said it should be OK if I use warm water. If you have ever had sensitive teeth do you find the water blast to be painful? I'm so excited yet apprehensive to try.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

EWUgal15

#6 Post by EWUgal15 »

carrieann wrote:Miss sensitive teeth (that's me) just ordered a Waterpik! My ortho said it should be OK if I use warm water. If you have ever had sensitive teeth do you find the water blast to be painful? I'm so excited yet apprehensive to try.
I use warm water in mine all the time. I've never had a blast of warm water agitate any sensitivities, but I also spray between my brackets at a downward angle and along my gum line. I don't really hit the teeth dead on.

Aspiring

#7 Post by Aspiring »

Cold water or room temperature does tend to hurt. Warm water does not. I fill with straight hot from the tap, add a splash of mouthwash. Turn it on in to the sink for a few seconds, or be prepared for the first little bit to be cold before the warm water gets there. Straight hot from the tap, by the time it travels through the little hose and into my mouth, is no longer hot and is quite pleasant.

carrieann

#8 Post by carrieann »

EWUgal15 wrote:
carrieann wrote:Miss sensitive teeth (that's me) just ordered a Waterpik! My ortho said it should be OK if I use warm water. If you have ever had sensitive teeth do you find the water blast to be painful? I'm so excited yet apprehensive to try.
I use warm water in mine all the time. I've never had a blast of warm water agitate any sensitivities, but I also spray between my brackets at a downward angle and along my gum line. I don't really hit the teeth dead on.
Just used the new waterpick/waterfloss. Warm water and you are right, NO pain at all. I'm highly uncoordinated though. I washed down my bathroom, the mirror, my shirt and face! I'll have to get used to it for sure.

18-20 months

carrieann

#9 Post by carrieann »

Aspiring wrote:Cold water or room temperature does tend to hurt. Warm water does not. I fill with straight hot from the tap, add a splash of mouthwash. Turn it on in to the sink for a few seconds, or be prepared for the first little bit to be cold before the warm water gets there. Straight hot from the tap, by the time it travels through the little hose and into my mouth, is no longer hot and is quite pleasant.
Just tried this and perfect! No pain with warm water.

18-20 months

FixMyTeeth

#10 Post by FixMyTeeth »

It won't change your treatment schedule or replace flossing in any way, but it sure feels great :)

Make sure you follow the instructions about holding it at 90 degrees to your gums. You don't want to be blasting water down there.

Ruby77

#11 Post by Ruby77 »

Is Waterpik the best one to get? There are lots of different brands (and prices) so I don't know which one to get.

Any advice? (I'm in the UK if that makes a difference)

BlondeCam

#12 Post by BlondeCam »

Mine is the Waterpik Aquarius. Love that thing! My teeth feel soooo clean. Also I always use warm tap water.

Aaeolien

#13 Post by Aaeolien »

carrieann wrote:
EWUgal15 wrote:
Just used the new waterpick/waterfloss. Warm water and you are right, NO pain at all. I'm highly uncoordinated though. I washed down my bathroom, the mirror, my shirt and face! I'll have to get used to it for sure.
First time I used mine there was a whole lotta "whoa, whoops, oh ****, yikes" coming from my mouth in the bathroom. Girlfriend was just out in the living room giggling it up. Of course then she walked in and there was water EVERYWHERE. LOL With that said.. I LOVE MINE. I bought the one that came with the sonic toothbrush as well and what a great combo. :)

carewsf

#14 Post by carewsf »

I really don't know how much it helps but I have a cordless one I just use first thing in the shower, it's super easy and it does feel nice on my gums

weebraces

#15 Post by weebraces »

I use one every day. It really does help.