29 - Braces Journey (terrified)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

istase2000

Re: 29 - Braces Journey (terrified)

#16 Post by istase2000 »

My first 5 days after getting braces was very painful and I couldn't see it getting better! I was drinking soup, smoothies and couldn't even chew salmon because it hurt that much. Suddenly on day 6 it got better and I could chew rice, dumplings and soft things. So you'll get there! :mrgreen:

Steph30

#17 Post by Steph30 »

atrixa wrote:Hi Steph, don't worry, this shouldn't go on for too much longer now you're at the 5 day point. I'd never heard of a bite plate before, are they for a different purpose than those bumpers/bite turbos or whatever they're called?

Oh, go nuts with the wax as well. I currently have a huge cut on the inside of my lip and it's going nowhere fast.

Soft foods I like: yogurt, hummus, creamy desserts, smoothies, blended soups, porridge.
Hi.. the bite plate is to help correct a deep bite.. I do have a really bad over bite - I am assuming its similar to turbos but its basically a removable retainer with a large plastic surface at the back of your top front teeth.. I say large because it feels large.. it really isn't that big haha.. it prevents me from closing my mouth and biting off my bottom brackets.. but it also helps my molars erupt to correct my bite. If you scroll up theres a pic of my mouth closed with it in.. you can see it holds my mouth apart.

Thanks for the reply! Ive been eating those foods as well, hummus is a great idea.. except I cant image eating it without pretzels or crackers haha :-+

Hope your lip is healing up, I don't feel like my gums are cut up.. I just have this weird feeling along my gum line I really cant explain it.....

Steph30

#18 Post by Steph30 »

istase2000 wrote:My first 5 days after getting braces was very painful and I couldn't see it getting better! I was drinking soup, smoothies and couldn't even chew salmon because it hurt that much. Suddenly on day 6 it got better and I could chew rice, dumplings and soft things. So you'll get there! :mrgreen:
Hey, the chewing part is annoying for sure... but Its the general mouth on fire, irritating feeling I have that's making me more cranky than missing food.. at least I still have beer. lol That helps :shock:

Steph30

#19 Post by Steph30 »

I have officially been braced for 1 week. I have moments of pure absolute frustration.. because after eating my mouth gets so irritated it feels like its burning and throbbing and itchy all at once. It's such a strange sensation... I don't know if its just... reacting to certain acidity in food.. or what... I literally cannot wait to brush my teeth after eating... and then the brushing irritates it more.. so then I spend a good half hour in frustration.. ahh... I can push on my teeth now though without searing pain which is nice.. When I try using my electric toothbrush to get a better clean... It can be quite painful of the plastic of the brush touches my teeth and gives them a good shake.

Mostly the pain has eased quite a bit. I still feel my braces inside my mouth quite obviously so I haven't gotten used to them yet. I have moments when I smile with my braces and think wow my teeth already look better.. and then I have moments when I look at my teeth and they look so discoloured and weird ... and I start to wonder how they will ever straighten out when theres so much crowding and no where for the teeth to move. So I flip flop emotionally quite a bit. I almost wish I had an ortho apt sooner so I could go over some of my concerns. Like, why didn't they remove my remaining upper wisdom tooth before braces? and why didn't they talk about removing my lower wisdoms ? What if they cause my teeth to shift. Stupid stuff probably.. But just a bit of whats on my mind.

Steph30

#20 Post by Steph30 »

Day 10 - Things have improved ALOT pain wise.. I havnt needed pain killers now for a few days - I have minor pain when pushing down on some teeth and still cant chew. Flossing is very painful.... for whatever reason.. My jaw has been kind of achey and I'm not sure if its from holding my mouth open during work days while not wearing bite plate or what... its just a bit sore.

I still cant chew, and I don't expect that to change any time soon... so i'm quite hungry... My mouth never feels "fresh" no matter how often I brush, mouth wash etc... its nasty. I've lost 6 pounds lol.

I find myself smiling more with my teeth showing, which is odd... trying not to shy away from people because of them. Adjusting pretty well. Wish my ortho apt was closer... just so I can see how things are going. Also, my bite plate is getting harder to put it and out.. Almost feels like its damaging my teeth when I put it in.. Hope not.. I have a cleaning end of this month at the dentist so i'll ask them.

Thanks for reading :)

chaeyeonkim

#21 Post by chaeyeonkim »

Hey there! I myself have actually gotten braced about three weeks ago and I went through pretty much the exact same process as you! Word of encouragement: I ate a burger last week!

I also had the "oh my god what did i just do to myself" moment for the first few days after I got the braces, but now I can't help but think that they are the best decision I've made!

Heidirs

#22 Post by Heidirs »

Just wanted to post some encouragement after reading your story.

Hang in there. You've got this! :jump: :thumbsup: :BigGrin:

Steph30

#23 Post by Steph30 »

chaeyeonkim wrote:Hey there! I myself have actually gotten braced about three weeks ago and I went through pretty much the exact same process as you! Word of encouragement: I ate a burger last week!

I also had the "oh my god what did i just do to myself" moment for the first few days after I got the braces, but now I can't help but think that they are the best decision I've made!

Thanks for the encouragement!.. I cant chew because of my molars not connecting :( It will be a while before my bite changes I think and i'm able to eat.. I would love a burger!! mmm

Steph30

#24 Post by Steph30 »

Heidirs wrote:Just wanted to post some encouragement after reading your story.

Hang in there. You've got this! :jump: :thumbsup: :BigGrin:

Thank you!!! :)

Steph30

#25 Post by Steph30 »

ALMOST 3 weeks in - Ive been forcing myself to try and "chew" foods.. I'm supposed to wear my bite plate to eat.. but I don't... I just chew slow and carefully and don't completely try to close my mouth because otherwise my teeth hit bottom brackets. My lips and cheeks feel kind of.. odd and numb, not sure if that's normal. Like I'm chewing on my own face sometimes while eating.. lol. Maybe its just new sensations? I don't know, but that's what ive been noticing.. and chewing is far from comfortable, but I was missing certain foods.

I've noticed the bottom teeth are quite a bit straighter... but haven't noticed much on top, still early days though. I smile a lot more confidently in pictures and actually really enjoy looking at a true open mouth smile.. so much more natural!

First adjustment isn't until the end of May but I do have a cleaning/check up booked end of this month.. so i'll get some kind of idea of things that are going on.

Steph30

#26 Post by Steph30 »

My braces started to rip up my mouth today, I thought I was getting away with not needing wax. ... I wonder why all of the sudden :cry:

tillybrace

#27 Post by tillybrace »

it's because your teeth have moved...so it's hurt but congratulations, your officially rock and rolling now

BlondeCam

#28 Post by BlondeCam »

Your braves look really cute! Wish mine were self litigating. Hang in there!

erin5550

#29 Post by erin5550 »

Steph30 wrote:My braces started to rip up my mouth today, I thought I was getting away with not needing wax. ... I wonder why all of the sudden :cry:
Girl, mine too. I have a big gash where one of my upper brackets is hitting. :( Thank goodness for wax. How's everything else going?

Steph30

#30 Post by Steph30 »

tillybrace wrote:it's because your teeth have moved...so it's hurt but congratulations, your officially rock and rolling now

Oh I hope so! :)