Hole in my retainer!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LaFawnsgrillz

Hole in my retainer!!

#1 Post by LaFawnsgrillz »

So I got my retainer (Essix) :cry: in October and have worn them every single night without fail. Well last night I noticed my upper canine tooth on the retainer felt really worn out. I looked at it and put water in and and the dang thing has a hole in it!! What do I do !?! I'm not all about replacing these things every 5-6 months!!! :cry:

jaime

Re: Hole in my retainer!!

#2 Post by jaime »

Are you grinding your teeth? Either way, you need to talk to your ortho about the retainer and let him/her decide if the retainer is still good. If it turns out you're grinding your teeth at night, you might be able to get a night guard.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

LaFawnsgrillz

#3 Post by LaFawnsgrillz »

I'm not sure if it's grinding I think it's more clinching

Aspiring

#4 Post by Aspiring »

Grinding or clenching, both are called bruxism, both will cause wear. If you use nothing, it will be your enamel that gets lost (not to mention your teeth will shift). An acrylic night guard will protect your teeth from bruxism, prevent them from shifting, and last longer than an Essix, but it will still wear out with time.

Essix for the day, night guard for night.

turtle

#5 Post by turtle »

My essix also has a small hole in it, and my orthodontist told me it was fine when I asked him about it. As long as it's a small hole and not cracked I think it should be okay.