jaw surgery may have fixed my hypertension/blood pressure =)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spookygee

jaw surgery may have fixed my hypertension/blood pressure =)

#1 Post by spookygee »

i always had blood pressure issues in my later teens, and early twenties. whether it was due to stress, breathing issues, moderate sleep apnea, mouth breathing(day and night), it being harder to breathe through my nose, or a combination of it all. i remember going to my heart doctor pre-op as medications he prescribed didn't help it, and mentioning the surgery and asking if afterwards if it was successful and helped my breathing, sleep, etc, if it was possible the blood pressure will normalize again. he said it could. it was usually elevated by 30-40 points all the time. it was usual for the upper number to be in the 150-160 range or higher all the time. i'm very happy to say that after monitoring my blood pressure as of recently, it has been absolutely perfect without any medications (they didn't help anyway)

this makes me happy. i was very worried about that because as a young person with hypertension i felt like i'd have heart issues earlier on, or be predisposed to a stroke or something at a younger age. though i had the surgery (upper jaw only) for functional issues with my open bite

has anyone experienced anything similar?

madblogr

Re: jaw surgery may have fixed my hypertension/blood pressure =)

#2 Post by madblogr »

spookygee wrote:i always had blood pressure issues in my later teens, and early twenties. whether it was due to stress, breathing issues, moderate sleep apnea, mouth breathing(day and night), it being harder to breathe through my nose, or a combination of it all. i remember going to my heart doctor pre-op as medications he prescribed didn't help it, and mentioning the surgery and asking if afterwards if it was successful and helped my breathing, sleep, etc, if it was possible the blood pressure will normalize again. he said it could. it was usually elevated by 30-40 points all the time. it was usual for the upper number to be in the 150-160 range or higher all the time. i'm very happy to say that after monitoring my blood pressure as of recently, it has been absolutely perfect without any medications (they didn't help anyway)

this makes me happy. i was very worried about that because as a young person with hypertension i felt like i'd have heart issues earlier on, or be predisposed to a stroke or something at a younger age. though i had the surgery (upper jaw only) for functional issues with my open bite

has anyone experienced anything similar?
I dropped from 140+ over 90+ to nearly perfect in the 120/70 range. Just the other day at a followup I was at 126/63 which is the lowest I've ever been for a while! Sleeping better and better blood pressure, win win!

Jbird

#3 Post by Jbird »

Sleep apnea has been known to cause high blood pressure so maybe the jaw surgery cured the apnea, and subsequently the high blood pressure. My blood pressure has gotten better on CPAP. Haven't had surgery yet but hopefully be able to get off CPAP.

janzy66

#4 Post by janzy66 »

hi, i registered to concur to your findings. i think i had the same issue / and my blood pressure dropped after a surgery i had. im still googling around to see whether people experienced the same. i am in my 50s and my blood pressure has been consistently high (reching more than 150/100 at times, which is consider really high / http://healthiack.com/blood-pressure-calculator). now ive found some explanantion as to why my blood pressure dropped (http://www.healthline.com/health/low-bl ... er-surgery), but its been some time since im off the medications, yet my blood pressure is still normal and not low, as described on that link. and im not complaining. the issues that i had with high bp were the worst.

regards,
J