June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KaylaChristine

Re: June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

#901 Post by KaylaChristine »

:D Feels nice to finally have them off! Here's a picture of my bite. My midline is more off in the picture than it actually is. I must have been biting down weird. I'll post comparison pics soon! I'm not very good at smiling with my new bite. It's going to take some practice lol.

I got Hawley retainers. My top one is actually the THIS COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR. Hawley so it's not too visible. I'm still struggling to speak with them in. I wear them full time for a year & then I'll switch to nights. I'm making a call to my dentist this week to schedule an appt. for x rays and to see about getting that crown I need. Fingers crossed I don't have any cavities.

My upper front teeth hurt quite a bite during the removal process but overall it wasn't too bad. :]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braced on October 14, 2014.
Lefort I and vertical ramus osteotomy: June 15, 2015
Braces to be removed January 5, 2017.

jaime

#902 Post by jaime »

Woo hoo!!!! You posted! Your teeth look AMAZING. :jump:

That's pretty sweet you got a THIS COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR.. It does suck talking with the Hawley. I ended up getting an Essix to wear out in public.

How great was it to eat with them off? :)
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Nozzelnut

#903 Post by Nozzelnut »

Kayla your teeth look great!!! Congrats!!

I hope I'm not too far behind everyone getting them off.

#gettingcloser
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

KaylaChristine

#904 Post by KaylaChristine »

Jaime, Thanks!! My ortho didn't even give me an option to get the Essix and I didn't know I was getting the THIS COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR. until I saw it lol. Oh and I got a permanent retainer behind my upper central incisors since I was concerned about movement. It's not been too bad to floss around actually. The wire is bonded at the very top of the tooth. I'll try and post a picture of it soon. And it feels *so* great eating with them off. :mrgreen:

Nozzelnut, thank you!! I'm sure you're not too far behind us. Fingers crossed you'll be ready soon!!

I had my first checkup at the dentist today and...... NO cavities! I'm shocked! I thought for sure I'd have a few. Especially since I drank Ensure shakes for pretty much 6 weeks straight while I was wired shut. My dentist also recommended that I don't get a crown for that tooth I had root canal treatment done on last year. He said it looks pretty good and if he was me he wouldn't bother with it. He suggested to just get an implant later down the line if it ever breaks. He just told me not to chew peanut brittle or ice on that side :lol:
Braced on October 14, 2014.
Lefort I and vertical ramus osteotomy: June 15, 2015
Braces to be removed January 5, 2017.

snapdresser

#905 Post by snapdresser »

So I have a fun new update here, 18+ months post-op. I've mentioned before that I have a bony ridge running along my upper gums that I didn't recall being so prominent pre-op. Well, there's a reason for that. It's called buccal exostosis and it's due to increased bone growth in that area. Quick wiki research told me that it's usually due to grinding or clenching your teeth. As I was usually breathing through my mouth pre-op, I know that I didn't have an issue with clenching my teeth until I was loaded up with elastics a few days after my surgery. That's when these bony growths developed and it seems to be a side-effect of being loaded up with too many elastics. Good bite? Yup. BUT AT WHAT COSTTTTT???!!! :lol: Just kidding. BUT. I'd still like to get the bony growths shaved down because I can feel the bony protrusion against the inside of my cheeks and it makes me very... aware? of my prior surgery. I was hoping that it would get to be something I no longer think about after a while, that my mind would just get used to it and tune it out, but that doesn't seem to be happening very quickly. According to what I've read, they can shave down the protrusions under local anesthetic, but unfortunately, they typically don't operate on them unless they cause periodontal issues or something. Still, I'm due up for my 18-month post-op and I'm going to ask her if she can shave them down, if she recommends someone else do it, and what the cost would be. I'm hoping $1k or less. I also am going to ask about having the bone that was impacted into my nasal floor shaved down. Dang these bones! I wish I had no bones! :lol: 8)
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Nozzelnut

#906 Post by Nozzelnut »

Curious what your surgeon says when you see them.

What would shaving the bone in the nasal floor do; better nasal breathing?
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months

snapdresser

#907 Post by snapdresser »

Yeah, better nasal breathing.

When I had my later checkups, my surgeon would always run her finger along the buccal exostoses and the just kind of linger there, contemplating. When I brought up that I had a weird sensation like something was tucked between my gums and inside of my cheek, she said "That may last forever", so I suspect she'll say "Yeah, I know, but I don't think you should do anything about it." :?
No braces

Nozzelnut

#908 Post by Nozzelnut »

Another appointment today... Trying to rotate the lower canine again; repositioned the bracket and went back to a NiTi wire. And of course, whenever they tell me to stop elastics (last appt) my left side opens up; the triangle elastics seem to rotate my lower left 3 and 4 towards each other.... Grrrrr. So close and yet so far.

snapdresser

#909 Post by snapdresser »

I got a new job in the city so going out to my surgeon will no longer be convenient. As such, I'm finally going in for one last checkup. They recommended I go in at 18 months post-op, but now it's been almost 2 years. I figure it's probably doesn't matter much. I'm going to ask for a referral to get another sleep study to see if it really fixed the issue, and I might ask her to clip a couple of adhesions I have where my stitches were. I tend to get food caught by them and it's painful to tug against them to get it out. If this is my last time ever seeing my surgeon, I want to make sure I get everything I want from her! Oh yeah, and I'll ask her about the buccal exostoses.
No braces

snapdresser

#910 Post by snapdresser »

So I had my 2-year post-op/final check-up with my surgeon forever! I'm changing job locations so it'll no longer be easy to see her anymore. Here's the run-down:

1. I asked her to clip some adherences I have cuz it's awkward to get around them with my tongue to get food out. She said she could clip 1 if it really bothers me a lot and she'd put 2 sutures into my gums to make sure it doesn't re-adhere, but she showed me that she has them too and mine are only slightly worse and that convinced me not to do it.

2. I asked her to file down one of my front incisors about 1/4 of a mm. That incisor descended after the surgery cuz the archbar wasn't wired in correctly. It pretty much went back to where it originally was, but she had offered to file it down a little if it didn't. She said to ask my regular dentist to do it next time I see them :? Yeah, well, my regular dentist is probly gonna bill me out the wazoo for that.

3. I asked her about my buccal exostoses and if that was causing my feeling of fullness on my upper gums on the sides by my cheeks (it feels like I have gauze stuck up there all the time and it's very distracting). She confirmed that I have buccal exostoses but insisted I had them before my surgery :roll: I totally didn't and it's because she gave me too many elastics, but I didn't feel the need to argue with her; I was just concerned with what should be done about it. She said the buccal exostoses probably aren't causing that feeling, though it's possible 2 of the plates are because they're right there too. She suggested the real culprit is probably tightness in the muscles right there, causing everything to clench down in that area and making me super-aware of it. I think I HAVE been biting down a lot just as a weird tick to check my post-op bite. She felt the muscle with her fingers and confirmed that it felt really tight, so she prescribed muscle relaxers for use every night. She said I could do the popsicle stick stretches with that too to try to get that last 5mm of opening that I never got back post-op. She said that if the muscle relaxers don't help with the feeling of gauze in the cheeks, she could potentially remove those two plates but that it's a big surgery and I'd have my midface puffed up again for another year :roll: :roll: She said the only reason they operate on buccal exostoses is if they're getting caught on stuff and injuring the gums or if the person needs dentures because you can't have buccal exostoses and dentures because of the way the dentures wrap around the gums. So she recommended against operating on the buccal exostoses AND the plates but said if the muscle relaxers don't work and it's THAT annoying, I should come back and we can discuss options like the plate removal. I reeeeally hope the muscle relaxers work, but I'm afraid that they won't :(

4. I asked her about having an ENT shave down the bone in my nasal floor to relieve congestion if allergy shots don't do the trick. She suggested that it's possible I'm having some sinus issues from the surgery and asked if I wanted to do a new scan to check them and rule that out. For $150 she said she could do it right then, so I did, trying to get all this knocked out before I leave the area. She showed me the new CT scan that showed that my sinuses are in great shape but also showed that my nasal floor already WAS "cored out" (as she put it) to increase airflow along the nasal floor. They do this during the surgery when they impact the maxilla. I learned something new! :D But she said that if it came down to it, the ENT is fine to remove some more because I still have about 5mm of bone remaining above my tooth roots. Again, I'm hoping the shots work and I don't have to resort to surgery.

5. I got a prescription for a new sleep study to confirm if the surgery resolved it. I want to get my nasal congestion under control with allergy shots before I do it, tho.

6. I took a selfie with my surgeon cuz I knew I wouldn't get another chance :lol:

7. Strangely, when I mentioned that she did a great job with the surgery she asked me to leave a review for her on Yelp! :shock: I didn't think surgeons really got Yelp reviews, but I guess they do so I'll go ahead and leave one. I'll mention the great front office staff too, who helped me a ton when putting in my packet for my flight physical.

TL;DR: Everything went great. She prescribed muscle relaxers to try to get rid of the feeling of fullness in my cheeks and also possibly give me a few more mm of opening. She said to come back if it doesn't work. I also got a prescription to confirm if the sleep apnea is fixed.
No braces

Nozzelnut

#911 Post by Nozzelnut »

Sounds positive for the most part! I've been contemplating having the upper plates removed. The screw heads/plates are feeling much more prominent at the corners of my nostrils. My congestion has come back to my regular amount. It was pretty much gone for the first several months on the year. My nose was easier to blow and it was thinner (the mucous; not my nose) than it is now. So that might have something to do with it. Thinner and more of it coming out of the membranes instead of sort of clogging and congesting my nose...

But more of the same; lower canine not turning. Move the bracket here; no movement, move the bracket there, still not turning... Grrrrrr. Put a freaking spring on it and lets end this party.....

Getting so close. I think they're trying to wait me out and have me just say "take them off." However, I'm a professional waiter. Four years in the US Navy have prepared me for doing nothing for significant periods of time. They have met their match. I will not waiver. I will not falter. I'll stay the course and get them off when I'm truly happy. It's the last little thing and taking the longest. The reason I want it turned is because it will "show" more tooth, my smile will seem wider and it will close the small (visual) gap between my upper and lower teeth.

#toofartostopnow

jaime

#912 Post by jaime »

Hey snap, sounds like you got mostly good news even if it wasn't the news you wanted. Let us know if the muscle relaxants work. I'm supposed to be on them too but I've procrastinated.

Interesting about the nasal floor thing.

Nozzel...I think we should change the saying from "patience of a saint" to "patience of an orthodontic patient." Kudos to you for wanting to wait until it's right.

I thought your hashtag said "too fart stop now" :lol:

No real news from me. I am planning to do a 2-year post-op video for my YouTube channel in a couple weeks. Crazy it's been 2 years. I saw my orthodontist in March for a retainer check-up. It was uneventful. I'm supposed to wear my retainer 24/7 for a year. I'm mostly good, but I've gone from wearing it 22-23h/day to 18-19h on weekdays and maybe 10-12h on weekends. I have noticed that the retainer isn't as tight when I put it back in after a few hours of freedom, whereas it used to be tight even after 20 minutes.

Jaw isn't clicking when I chew like it was before, which is good.

My one ongoing complaint is that ever since the surgery, I constantly bite the inside left cheek. It was a big problem with my braces but I thought it would go away when the braces were off. Now the braces are off and there is still too much cheek tissue back there. It's not caused from swelling from previous bites or anything. My ortho once joked I needed a "cheek-ectomy" but now I'm wondering if that's something I can actually get. The inside of my cheek is scarred, which is probably at least part of the problem.

I guess I need to just suck it up and go see somebody, but it's all sort of pain now that I've moved/emigrated.
My blog

snapdresser

#913 Post by snapdresser »

Nozzelnut - Haha, "professional waiter" :lol: I also thought it said Too Fart Stop Now lol

Jaime - If you see someone about the cheek thing, let me know what they say! I've had that issue for several years now, though it's gotten better after my surgery. Still, it happens every so often and I'm curious what they tell you can be done about it.
No braces

Nozzelnut

#914 Post by Nozzelnut »

Ahhhh yes another appointment today. A few more bends in the wire, more elastics (up to 3 now,) and another appointment scheduled.

Getting closer but still feel so far away.

jaime

#915 Post by jaime »

Nozzelnut wrote:Ahhhh yes another appointment today. A few more bends in the wire, more elastics (up to 3 now,) and another appointment scheduled.

Getting closer but still feel so far away.
I don't check this forum every day anymore but my eyes bugged out when I saw you updated. I don't know how you're doing it. I think you're the reason why there's two meanings to word "patient." !!!
My blog