Has Your Experience Peaked Your Interest?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LisainTX

Has Your Experience Peaked Your Interest?

#1 Post by LisainTX »

This is probably a new one on this message board but I was wondering if anyone's experience with braces has created an interest in the field of work for them. I am OLD now and its probably too late, but I was always a bit interested in dental assisting or dental hygienist work. Now however, I really wish I'd have gotten braces earlier in life because I have found orthodontics to be an amazing and fascinating science.

I would love to hear anyone's experience if there are people here that work in the industry. How did you get into it? Why? Any suggestions? Can an old lady become an ortho technician or assistant? :-*

jem

Re: Has Your Experience Peaked Your Interest?

#2 Post by jem »

Yes my experience has piqued my interest- to the extent that I am still looking at this board over 3 years after being debraced!

I had a really nice ortho ( now retired) who talked me through everything she was doing in my treatment and also a little about running an ortho practice. Inevitably these were mostly one way conversations, but they were very interesting.

I am far too old to be thinking about anything more than completing my life long career, but if I had my time again, perhaps I might have enjoyed a career as an orthodontist.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

The whole thing became a business for me, hence this message board and my retail website! 15 years later, still at it and going strong! (And teeth are still straight!) :D
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

For me it was the opposite -- I came to appreciate their skills, but reaffirmed that nursing was the best career choice for me. I couldn't bear looking into people's mouths all day. Of course there are some less pleasant tasks associated with the far end of the alimentary canal but let's not go there :gavel: . I think it takes a special sort of person to become a successful orthodontist based on the array of concerns, issues, etc. raised on this forum.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Kpopfan19

#5 Post by Kpopfan19 »

I'm 19 and considering becoming an orthodontist

FlowerPower

#6 Post by FlowerPower »

One the website of the first orthodontist I went to, it explained how he became an orthodontist after having braces at a young age. It definitely helps when you have someone that went through the same experience.

shortcircuit

#7 Post by shortcircuit »

The process is fascinating but health care has never been where I would want to work, I would imagine that it's tough having to constantly justify your treatment plans as an orthodontist when others in the same market are equally qualified but coming up with different stuff.

Google makes the whole process sound simple, and I suspect that dealing with patients who have read just enough stuff online to convince themselves that they know much more than they actually do is also an issue. One of my peeves is people who ask for advice then argue with what they're told, so I wouldn't last very long in this field :roll:

NeilH

#8 Post by NeilH »

Yes, I can certainly relate to this. I would love to work in orthodontics in some capacity as I find this topic so fascinating but on looking into this, realised I was probably too old to get started on 8 years of training and unlikely to be able to compete with the bright 18 year olds with impressive grades. I did, however, start writing about adult orthodontics and found a way to explore this interest through sharing my thoughts, experiences and research with others. This led to some people taking an interest in what I had to say and inviting me to a number of meetings and events to further my knowledge which in turn led to further opportunities, an invitation to a large orthodontic conference and contact from a number of orthodontic suppliers wishing to explore collaboration in the future. Just before Christmas I received a call with an offer to become involved in something that is really exciting so to answer your question, yes, it certainly has!