My daughter had double jaw surgery and it has all gone wrong!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Snophik

Re: My daughter had double jaw surgery and it has all gone wrong!

#151 Post by Snophik »

Hi lostfaith I was just thinking of you the other day! So you're having the operation in one week!

These meetings with new surgeons takes forever to get. But I've had one with a surgeon in my hometown. He has referred me to a great hospital in my country where they specialize in facial reconstruction. They have both jaw+plastic surgeons working togheter. So I'm waiting for an appointment to see them. And that is where I'm going to get the operations I need.

I understand that you're scared. This situation sucks, to express it mildly. Are they going to downgraft without moving the maxilla forward or back? What kind of graft will you have?

I am thinking of you and hope EVERYTHING will be exactly how you want it.

Lostfaith

#152 Post by Lostfaith »

Yes they are not moving it forward just straight down and ever so slightly back which will make my chin go back slightly with the rotation. It's a bone substitute they are using. Trying to completely reverse the impaction that shouldn't have been carried out. I did babe the option of using the NHS with a different surgeon but it takes so long and I just want this knee with now .

Lostfaith

#153 Post by Lostfaith »

That was meant to say over with now , stupid predictive text lol

Sammy123

#154 Post by Sammy123 »

I have had surgery 2 weeks ago and straight away I could tell that something wasn't right. My swelling has subsided extremely quickly according to my orthodontist. The hospital where my surgery took place is different to where the orthodontist is based. My surgeon has not seen me since my operation 2 233@: ago. When I asked my orthodontist at my 10 day appointment. She said the surgeon will only see me if something is wrong. I consulted another Maxillo facial surgeon who found this extremely strange. I had an underbite which was worsened prior to the operation. I now have a very protuding upper jaw which looks so odd. My lower jaw was not moved at all. This is no exaggeration but I look like a monkey. Does anyone have the details of a surgeon who could give me a second opinion in the UK? Does anyone know if there is a minimum time frame between a possible reversal. I am willing to go private

senecastudent

#155 Post by senecastudent »

Sammy123 wrote:I have had surgery 2 weeks ago and straight away I could tell that something wasn't right. My swelling has subsided extremely quickly according to my orthodontist. The hospital where my surgery took place is different to where the orthodontist is based. My surgeon has not seen me since my operation 2 233@: ago. When I asked my orthodontist at my 10 day appointment. She said the surgeon will only see me if something is wrong. I consulted another Maxillo facial surgeon who found this extremely strange. I had an underbite which was worsened prior to the operation. I now have a very protuding upper jaw which looks so odd. My lower jaw was not moved at all. This is no exaggeration but I look like a monkey. Does anyone have the details of a surgeon who could give me a second opinion in the UK? Does anyone know if there is a minimum time frame between a possible reversal. I am willing to go private
Just to be sure, you got surgery to correct an underbite, and now it looks like they overcorrected and moved your top jaw forward too far? Now it looks like you have a weak chin/lower jaw?

If this is the case, it's nothing to worry about. As far as I can tell, it's common with underbite surgery patients; I had/have the same problem.

It's alllll swelling. Seriously.

Even if it looks like your swelling has gone down quite a bit, at two weeks you're still too swollen to tell if anything is wrong. The swelling across the middle of the face pushes everything out and makes it look like you have an overbite. Look up Nathanael Eisenman on YouTube and watch his jaw surgery videos, he had the same problem and within a month, his problem vanished as the swelling went down.

Sammy123

#156 Post by Sammy123 »

Yes it was for an underbite. I had my upper jaw moved forward 6mm on one side and 5mm on the other. I look totally different honestly itis unbelievable. I want to look into a possible reversal. I know it wouldn't be possible for a while yet but does anyon know any surgeons in the UK willing to do this? I really think that both my lower and upper jaws should have been moved really regretting this right now

Lostfaith

#157 Post by Lostfaith »

Hi Sammy ,

I have just had a reversal so it is possible BUT it's a lot more complicated with more risks . No surgeon is going to operate you back to a bad bite , they will label you as having bdd or similar so be careful how your word this . Be very clear about what you don't like, saying I miss my old face they will just send you for counseling i.e. Say my upper jaw is now to prominent . As you had a underbite it could have maybe been possible to move your upper forward and your lower back at the same time and maybe they went for the easier option of just moving the upper . They won't operate till 6 months post op earliest to a year . If you want any help just message x

zaynab5

#158 Post by zaynab5 »

Hello lostfaith
How are you, i was just wondering if you could let me know who had done your jaw surgery reversal as i cant find any surgeon who can do this
Thankyou

underbitewars

#159 Post by underbitewars »

Lostfaith wrote:Be very clear about what you don't like, saying I miss my old face they will just send you for counseling i.e. Say my upper jaw is now to prominent .
I have been thinking about this - what if my daughter's surgeon says, "why do you think her upper jaw is too prominent?" I would say:

1. She looks like she has an overbite (she used to have an underbite).
2. She has a gummy smile now and she didn't before.
3. Her mid face is flattened with jowly protrusions.
4. Her face is overly masculine and square from the front

I fully expect him to argue with me rather than acknowledge any miscalculation on his part. How do I answer him without talking about the poor aesthetics? He will immediately say I'm not objective and that I just need to get used to it, because her bite is perfect now! (Ps she's 6 months out)

Braceregret

#160 Post by Braceregret »

Dear Underbitewar - Do you homework, Get educated on the matter and let that Dr. know exactly what you don't like. Don't tiptoe around him. If he acts like it's all in your head... educate him! I can't stand these Drs. that act like this is something mental and not real. Let him know that he needs to go get some MCE courses on this subject and get with the most recent advances in dentofacial orthodontics because it is real and he knows it. Every time I have a concern my Dentist just says "Well, I've never read or head anything about that." Evidently, he is not reading or listening to any of his Mandatory Continuing Education Courses!!!! I've really had it with these Dentists that think they can just ignore these real life catastrophes just to keep their business & pocket books lined. God forbid they will be exposed. Don't know how they can deny the facial changes when it is staring the right in the face every month. They know!!!!! Say some prayers and let God see you through. But, that doesn't mean be weak. :)
My Dentist has really destroyed my face and never once told me that this could happen. Don't let this happen to your daughter. Knowledge is the key.

rimi1881

#161 Post by rimi1881 »

Hi Lostfaith,

I had single upper jaw surgery 10 weeks ago for lip incompetance and my smile was only gummy when I full on laughed. My surgeon impacted me 6-7mm and I hated how I looked which was a drastic change in face shape and showing all bottom teeth instead of top teeth. I saw 4 other doctors who agreed I was over impacted and they would have advised me to not have the op in the first place or only impact by 3mm. I am now looking at getting a revision with another doctor but he is advising that to get it moved down to where it was i would need a bone graft from the hip. (He warned about risk of pain and 10% chsnce of permenant pins and needles in the thigh) If he only moved it 3-4 mm then he could use bone substitute. He also warned that a bigger moved would mean relapse. I also found out that previous doctor moved my jaw forward which is the reason why i hate how my upper lip area looks more prominate. New doctor said I can be moved backwards but its more difficult and again more risks , doing more to the top jaw may mean more risk of having to operate on the bottom jaw so recovery will be harder and more risk of complications. I was wondered what you movements were, was it a complate revision and are you happy with the results, any relapse. Im feeling so down, if anyone has or is going through this please post

jawregret1

#162 Post by jawregret1 »

rimi1881 wrote:Hi Lostfaith,

I had single upper jaw surgery 10 weeks ago for lip incompetance and my smile was only gummy when I full on laughed. My surgeon impacted me 6-7mm and I hated how I looked which was a drastic change in face shape and showing all bottom teeth instead of top teeth. I saw 4 other doctors who agreed I was over impacted and they would have advised me to not have the op in the first place or only impact by 3mm. I am now looking at getting a revision with another doctor but he is advising that to get it moved down to where it was i would need a bone graft from the hip. (He warned about risk of pain and 10% chsnce of permenant pins and needles in the thigh) If he only moved it 3-4 mm then he could use bone substitute. He also warned that a bigger moved would mean relapse. I also found out that previous doctor moved my jaw forward which is the reason why i hate how my upper lip area looks more prominate. New doctor said I can be moved backwards but its more difficult and again more risks , doing more to the top jaw may mean more risk of having to operate on the bottom jaw so recovery will be harder and more risk of complications. I was wondered what you movements were, was it a complate revision and are you happy with the results, any relapse. Im feeling so down, if anyone has or is going through this please post
Did you have braces for the operation? How'd he move it forward without affecting bite? I guess I don't understand all the movements.

Zola

#163 Post by Zola »

Hi,

I don't know if this is till active, but I hope that someone will see this post and give me some answers.
Is there someone who had a revision done after the first surgery did not have the outcome it should have had? I really would like to know if there are people who have done this before.

Zola

#164 Post by Zola »

Please is there someone who has expierenced a revision surgery?
I had double jaw surgery seven months ago but I am really unhappy with the results. I don't know what to do anymore. I had an impaction and sliding forward of the maxilla and sliding forward of the mandibulla and chin.
I just want my smile and face back to how it was.
If someone sees this can you please sent me an email: Zola_lola1@hotmail.com
I need someone to talk to who expierenced the same and if there has been something done to it. Thank you in advance.

Twistedface

#165 Post by Twistedface »

Jane

May I ask who was the surgeon who did the revision?

I am in such a mangled mess and need help.

It’s hard who to trust, I would like at least someone who can recommend for a revision