Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

zaynab5

Re: Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#31 Post by zaynab5 »

Hello
I just had had an 2nd surgery becasue my lower jaw was infected so had to remove the plates and screws. But has anybody had their upper jaw moved back in the 2nd surgery. I am so dissapointed with the result and want my upper jaw to placed.baxk where it was prior to the surgery. Also my lower jaw have been pushed back too excesively. I also feel that my both jaw feel small compare to how it was before.
Thanks

Lostfaith

#32 Post by Lostfaith »

I'm now a week a way from having my upper jaw surgery impaction reversed, I have everything crossed and praying it goes well , very scared .

jawregret1

#33 Post by jawregret1 »

Lostfaith wrote:I'm now a week a way from having my upper jaw surgery impaction reversed, I have everything crossed and praying it goes well , very scared .

Do you have the plan of what they're going to do?

jawregret1

#34 Post by jawregret1 »

Update: my surgeon has offered a revision.

zaynab5

#35 Post by zaynab5 »

[quote="jawregret1"]Update: my surgeon has offered a revision.[/quote]

Hello just saw yr message, what is your surgeon going to in your rivision surgery

jawregret1

#36 Post by jawregret1 »

Set back and downgraft my maxilla then adjust the upper jaw.

zaynab5

#37 Post by zaynab5 »

Has anyone had a reversal done for upper jaw or lower jaw yet, im trying to find a surgeon based in england who can do this but i am unable to find one

Avrilinvan

#38 Post by Avrilinvan »

[quote="Lostfaith"]I'm now a week a way from having my upper jaw surgery impaction reversed, I have everything crossed and praying it goes well , very scared .[/quote]
Hello, may I ask how was your second surgery? Do you like the result this time? I have exactly the same problem as you had. My upper jaw was moved up too much and left me no upper tooth show and my bottom lip doesn't cover my lower teeth after the surgery. I've waited for the reversing surgery for two and half years, and I'm going to have the surgery next month. Now I'm really worried what will happen this time!

jawregret1

#39 Post by jawregret1 »

Avrilinvan wrote:
Lostfaith wrote:I'm now a week a way from having my upper jaw surgery impaction reversed, I have everything crossed and praying it goes well , very scared .
Hello, may I ask how was your second surgery? Do you like the result this time? I have exactly the same problem as you had. My upper jaw was moved up too much and left me no upper tooth show and my bottom lip doesn't cover my lower teeth after the surgery. I've waited for the reversing surgery for two and half years, and I'm going to have the surgery next month. Now I'm really worried what will happen this time!
Is your original surgeon performing the surgery? How much were you impacted in the original surgery and how much are they bringing it down now?

Avrilinvan

#40 Post by Avrilinvan »

[quote="jawregret1"][quote="Avrilinvan"][quote="Lostfaith"]I'm now a week a way from having my upper jaw surgery impaction reversed, I have everything crossed and praying it goes well , very scared .[/quote]
Hello, may I ask how was your second surgery? Do you like the result this time? I have exactly the same problem as you had. My upper jaw was moved up too much and left me no upper tooth show and my bottom lip doesn't cover my lower teeth after the surgery. I've waited for the reversing surgery for two and half years, and I'm going to have the surgery next month. Now I'm really worried what will happen this time![/quote]

Is your original surgeon performing the surgery? How much were you impacted in the original surgery and how much are they bringing it down now?[/quote]

No, I'm going to another surgeon for surgery. My original surgeon didn't tell me any measurement about the first surgery. I saw another two patient from the same surgeon who ended up with zero tooth show. So I feel it's just the way the surgeon like it to be, and I feel uncomfortable to let him do the reversing surgery. For last two years I had consultation with different oral surgeon for opinion, they all suggest to bring the upper jaw down by 3-4mm. I'll have the pre-op planning appointment, I hope the new surgeon can tell me the measurement. I saw some other people here had the same problem, I really want to know if anyone reverse the surgery successfully.

jawregret1

#41 Post by jawregret1 »

Avrilinvan wrote:
jawregret1 wrote:
Avrilinvan wrote: Hello, may I ask how was your second surgery? Do you like the result this time? I have exactly the same problem as you had. My upper jaw was moved up too much and left me no upper tooth show and my bottom lip doesn't cover my lower teeth after the surgery. I've waited for the reversing surgery for two and half years, and I'm going to have the surgery next month. Now I'm really worried what will happen this time!
Is your original surgeon performing the surgery? How much were you impacted in the original surgery and how much are they bringing it down now?

No, I'm going to another surgeon for surgery. My original surgeon didn't tell me any measurement about the first surgery. I saw another two patient from the same surgeon who ended up with zero tooth show. So I feel it's just the way the surgeon like it to be, and I feel uncomfortable to let him do the reversing surgery. For last two years I had consultation with different oral surgeon for opinion, they all suggest to bring the upper jaw down by 3-4mm. I'll have the pre-op planning appointment, I hope the new surgeon can tell me the measurement. I saw some other people here had the same problem, I really want to know if anyone reverse the surgery successfully.

Did you have a gummy smile before your first surgery? Why did you have an impaction in the first place?

Avrilinvan

#42 Post by Avrilinvan »

Yes I have a gummy smile. My surgeon didn't give me any measurement. Buy I could see about 2mm of gum when I had a big smile, and I had around 4mm upper tooth show at rest before the surgery. My upper jaw was moved both upward and backward, my lower jaw was moved backward and my chin was moved forward. I saw your photos, now my smile and my tooth show at rest are exactly like yours. What bothers me is also my lower tooth show, I don't really pay attention to my lower tooth show before I think it is zero because I never notice it. Now I can see all my lower tooth which make me look like a bulldog. I talked with my new surgeon he's not quite sure what it'll be improved after the reversing surgery.

jawregret1

#43 Post by jawregret1 »

The reversing surgery will just be upper jaw or will it also be lower jaw and chin as well?

Impaction rotates the jaws upward, which decreases upper tooth show and increases lower tooth show. However, the genioplasty (chin) can also increase lower tooth show even more depending on how things were stitched back up.

Avrilinvan

#44 Post by Avrilinvan »

The reversing surgery will just be upper jaw (downgrading the maxilla) to achieve tooth exposure at rest. May I ask what is your tooth exposure at rest pre-op?

jawregret1

#45 Post by jawregret1 »

Before surgery, it was 3mm tooth show at rest. after surgery it's zero. Hoping to get back the 3mm I had before.

Though I'm worried my face/chin will appear even longer after.