Braces, round two

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pat0231

Re: Braces, round two

#46 Post by pat0231 »

Any pictures to show?

kip

#47 Post by kip »

Hi pat, how are you getting on? My progress has slowed down somewhat too. I've decided to have my last right upper pre-molar out, so will be premolar-less on one side! I've thought long and hard about it and it seems like the best way to go for me personally.

The reasons I wanted braces were to get rid of my overjet and to have a better bite, and there is just no way to do this without the extraction. We tried elastics for a few months and they did help a bit (they actually alleviated the jaw pain I'd been experiencing) but my ortho said he couldn't move anything any further as there was just no space to do so. I still have quite a prominent overjet, although my teeth are wonderfully straight.

Extraction should be at the beginning of November (if my referral letter ever makes it's way to my dentists) and I'll be having the wire reattached a few days after.

No recent pictures to show, since all the initial movement slowed I lost interest in taking daily ones, but will get some snapped tonight!

pat0231

#48 Post by pat0231 »

Hi Kip
I just had power chains put on yesterday to start moving my overjet back. I haven't really noticed it getting smaller yet so hopefully this will help. I hope the pain will subside soon. So intense and back to eating soft things again. I am off to Asia in December for 27 days and am dreading eating rice and noodles. They are the worst for getting stuck in my brackets.

tillybrace

#49 Post by tillybrace »

hello teeth twin,

great progress so far, and your teeth were in much better shape then mine before you got started.

kip

#50 Post by kip »

I'm headed away to Australia for a month in December and am nervous about doing so Pat! My extraction is booked for next week and I'm dreading all my holiday photos showing my braces and big gappy smile! I've successfully managed to not really be photgraphed for the last 9 months with braces luckily.

So finally took some pictures, everything will be all change again in a month after my extraction and I'm looking forward to seeing a difference as everything has been stood pretty much still for the last few months!

Here you can see how off my midline is (sort of, bit rubbish quality):

Here is the side where my pre-molar is coming out, you can see how out of line everything is:

And for reference, my left side where everything is lovely and lined up:

pat0231

#51 Post by pat0231 »

Your teeth look great! Your overjet looks similar to mine at this point.I am going away for 27 days in December as well. I am going to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. I am not looking forward to eating rice and noodles since they are the worst! I only had my power chains on for 2 days and I had to go and get the back wires clipped because the had moved enough to dig into my cheek. No movement since but constant pressure. I will have one more appointment before I go and he is going to re-position the brackets on my bottom front teeth. Apparently this is common on really crooked teeth as they don't really know how they will move. Now that they are in a better position they can see were the brackets should be. Good luck with your extraction.

pat0231

#52 Post by pat0231 »

My midline was really off (about half a tooth) but looks pretty centred too me now. I know I will need the dreaded elastics to bring down my left top and my right bottom. These teeth don't touch so I always have to chew on the right.

kip

#53 Post by kip »

Have you got any pics Pat? I'd love to see your progress :)

Go with Udon noodles, the thicker ones are always a bit easier! :D

I had elastics to bring my teeth together in a box formation on my left side and they weren't too bad actually! I only had to wear them at night though. I hope your elastic experience is as easy as mine!

pat0231

#54 Post by pat0231 »

Here is my first day braces ( January 26 2016) and today ( October 26 2016) from the front. My side pictures aren't that great. I hadn't had my extractions yet in the first picture.
thumb_thumb_P1260129_1024_1024.jpg
thumb_DSC05887_1024.jpg
My two front teeth were broken when I was 7 and will have to get redone when I get my braces off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pat0231

#55 Post by pat0231 »

Here is one more showing my bottom teeth more.
thumb_DSC05888 copy_1024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kip

#56 Post by kip »

Pat, your teeth look fantastic! You must be so pleased with the progress :D I can definitely see the similarities between our pre brace teeth!

I had my extraction on Friday, so no going back now! I get my wire reattached across the gap on Wednesday, which I'm looking forward to (to get the gap closed)/dreading (the pain!).

Fingers crossed it closes quickly and I can hit the June 2017 goal deadline...

pat0231

#57 Post by pat0231 »

Thanks Kip. I am pleased with the progress but I know there is a long way to go. I think my earliest chance of getting them off is May 2018. The pain is continuous these days with the power chains. I am dreading getting elastics!!!

kip

#58 Post by kip »

Well, here is my gap in all it's glory:

I went to the ortho yesterday and had the wire reattached. He also put a clear elastic looking band from my molar to canine. He said he's going to move the canine first so the molar doesn't come too far forward. So I'll have a lovely gap between my front incisor and canine for a while!

The pain I've been in is incredible, it's much like when I first got them. The strongest OTC painkillers aren't cutting it and I'm fed up already! I can already see the teeniest tiniest gap forming though so I know the pain is because everything is on the move. Just have to embrace the pain!!

pat0231

#59 Post by pat0231 »

I feel your pain Kip! Your gap is so much smaller than mine was. Sometimes I take 400 mg of Advil, along with tylenol and 500 mg naproxen. It doesn't touch the pain! I don't know what else I can do. Weirdly I find the pain is much less if I am lying down. Kind of hard to do at work but at least I can sleep. I have one last appointment before my big trip. I know they are going to re-position my bottom 4 or 5 brackets but not sure what else they will do.

tillybrace

#60 Post by tillybrace »

hey, how is braceface life treating you?