Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jawregret1

Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#1 Post by jawregret1 »

Hello all.

I've had double jaw surgery and genio and I hate the results so much.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone reversing the procedure? I wish so badly that I could.

sarzo14

Re: Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#2 Post by sarzo14 »

You hate the esthetics? Because esthetics are not that important, you bite, jaw position and no more problems are what's important. Did jaw surgery fix your other problems? But I do understand that because I will be going trough jaw jurgery not for only funtional problems, but I know it will/can enhance my estheticws and I don't want to look bad. But you don't often hear of reversing jaw surgery. I guess it could be done with bone grafts etc., but I'm not sure.

kpw818

#3 Post by kpw818 »

Second what sarzo is asking--are you more functional? I read about people feeling depressed after their surgeries sometimes--what is the problem?

jawregret1

#4 Post by jawregret1 »

I had no functional problems before the surgery. But my bite is more ideal now.

I'm depressed because I could have had lower jaw surgery only, but the surgeon went all out doing double plus genioplasty to fit what he thought was prettier. He admitted it wasn't necessary.

I really hate the chin, and so much of my upper jaw was removed that you barely see my upper teeth now.

I would like the upper jaw positioned like it was prior to surgery, and then adjust the lower jaw accordingly. As well, the genioplasty reversed. I wished for a minimal change in looks to fix my bite, not the drastic amount I got. I don't care about fitting ideal measurements of how far your chin should project to be "beautiful" and what not. I just want to have most of my looks from before which could have been accomplished with the least invasive option (lower jaw only). I was happy with my looks before.

jawregret1

#5 Post by jawregret1 »

Maxilla:
-3mm anterior impaction
-3mm forward movement
-I now show no upper teeth at rest and barely any in a smile due to the impaction. Only lower teeth are visible at rest.

Mandible
-6mm forward movement
-some autorotation due to the impaction, making the mandible and chin more prominent

Chin:
-4mm advancement
-looks very pointy and does not blend in with my jawline anymore

Of course, this isn't taking into account my very very wide and flared nose post-op, but it's not my biggest worry. I'm mostly concerned with my smile that disappeared, my teeth not showing and the chin.

I forgot to add that many people agree with what I'm saying, that I look worse. Not deformed, but definitely worse.

jawregret1

#6 Post by jawregret1 »

I'm a 21 year old female.

I had an overbite that was camouflaged with braces, but then my ortho said I would look better with jaw surgery and then my bite would be truly class 1. Also, ortho suggested lower jaw only but the surgeon went all out rearranging my whole face.

I really regret it. I would choose my slightly recessed chin from before over what I ended up with.

I know a surgeon won't reverse it 100% to my bad bite, but I know I want the maxilla reversed (setback and downgraft) to what it was before, and genioplasty reversed. Then the mandible could be adjusted. I want the revision to essentially do what would have been done had I ONLY had a lower jaw advancement.

snapdresser

#7 Post by snapdresser »

How long are you post-op? Any chance you'd be willing to post some before/after pics of your profile?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

jawregret1

#8 Post by jawregret1 »

So nobody has heard of this being done? :?

SingleJawMelb

#9 Post by SingleJawMelb »

No. But it's interesting that your ortho suggested you only needed one and your surgeon did both. My surgey decisions was left up to my surgeon and I wasn't given any suggestions about what would be needed.

It's a 2D image so I really can't say that you look worse and it's bad your surgeon did more work than necessary. Mine was one of those conservative Australian doctors that do as little as possible - prob so I don't end up in this position?

What has your surgeon said post op? Can you go for another consult elsewhere?

sarzo14

#10 Post by sarzo14 »

[quote="SingleJawMelb"]No. But it's interesting that your ortho suggested you only needed one and your surgeon did both. My surgey decisions was left up to my surgeon and I wasn't given any suggestions about what would be needed. [/quote]
I don't think it's that interesting. My orthodontist told me I would need surgery and told me it would be upper jaw surgery. When I had my fist consultation with my surgeon he told me only upper jaw surgery is not an option, that I would need double jaw surgery to get the best results. ;)

SingleJawMelb

#11 Post by SingleJawMelb »

sarzo14 wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:No. But it's interesting that your ortho suggested you only needed one and your surgeon did both. My surgey decisions was left up to my surgeon and I wasn't given any suggestions about what would be needed.
I don't think it's that interesting. My orthodontist told me I would need surgery and told me it would be upper jaw surgery. When I had my fist consultation with my surgeon he told me only upper jaw surgery is not an option, that I would need double jaw surgery to get the best results. ;)
Kinda shows your ortho needs to let the surgeon give the plan for surgey, not the ortho. I can understand if it's a "loose plan", but clearly its not in the best interest of the patient to give two different directions.

jawregret1

#12 Post by jawregret1 »

I later asked my surgeon if only the lower jaw could have been done, and he said yes. But he thought my profile would be better with double + genio because lower wouldn't really change it.

Impacting the upper jaw absolutely ruined my smile. I show barely any upper teeth when I smile and I show all the way up to the gum line of my lower teeth. I don't know how that is seen as okay. I also show zero upper teeth at rest and only lower teeth up to the lower gumline. I'm 21 for God's sake. It looks like I have an old lady smile where my upper and lower lip droop and sag due to the impaction and possibly genioplasty.

I just spent thousands of dollars on orthodontics, surgery, time of my life, and my smile is worse? My teeth show is awful? I have nice straight teeth that are hidden. I really have no idea how any of this is okay.

jawregret1

#13 Post by jawregret1 »

GGGUNIT wrote:Don't mean to be insensitive but it looks like you have a lot of body fat on your face and it wouldn't surprise me if your face leaned out, your chin and jaw would look amazing (jaw would taper sharper from the front). Your chin does look a bit out of place and lumpy, but what does it look like with a resting face? I personally wouldn't worry too much about your smile.

I'm quite thin but I have a lot of facial fat. It's not easily lost, it's just my face.

jawregret1

#14 Post by jawregret1 »

SingleJawMelb wrote:No. But it's interesting that your ortho suggested you only needed one and your surgeon did both. My surgey decisions was left up to my surgeon and I wasn't given any suggestions about what would be needed.

It's a 2D image so I really can't say that you look worse and it's bad your surgeon did more work than necessary. Mine was one of those conservative Australian doctors that do as little as possible - prob so I don't end up in this position?

What has your surgeon said post op? Can you go for another consult elsewhere?

I have an appointment with my surgeon this week. I'm going with my mother just because she completely agrees with what I'm saying, so I'd like someone to back me up so he doesn't brush me off. My mom's 50 and has better tooth show than me lol.

I have spoken to some other doctors and showed them the x-rays and lateral cephs from pre-op and before and after photos and they seem to think that toying with my upper jaw was completely unnecessary.

snapdresser

#15 Post by snapdresser »

There seems to be some pretty noticeable soft tissue changes. Your smile doesn't pull up the same on the top. I wonder if that'll get better as time goes on. If it does, it seems like it could help your tooth show on the top a fair bit.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018