Extraction of bicuspids and benefits on the profile

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

secondtimewithbraces

Re: Extraction of bicuspids and benefits on the profile

#46 Post by secondtimewithbraces »

[quote="Lovespain5"][quote="secondtimewithbraces"]can somebody reply to my thread i made so depressed about it[/quote]

This thread is about positive experiences after extractions.
About bad experiences, you can post in the following thread : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45738[/quote]

hey can you reply to my thread please

Samahir

#47 Post by Samahir »

[quote="Lovespain5"]

Nice! Good luck for your treatment!
Don't hesitate asking me questions if you need. I finished my treatment so I can answer you in much points.[/quote]

Thank you lovespain5!

Right now I'm wondering how long it will take to close the hideous extraction gaps. My upper arch is already straight and I had a powerchain installed. There is still one malaligned 2nd incisor in my lower arch and I have ligatures there. It all also hurts like hell.

How long did it take for your gaps to close? Did correcting the protrusion really improve your smile? And how did your ortho avoid causing a dished in profile?

TIA!

badbraces

#48 Post by badbraces »

Lovespain5 wrote:
Hope you are going to recover easily! Which premolars will be extracted? The 4 first of them?

How long is estimated your treatment?
Sorry I was too excited of having them removed I forgot to ask how long will be the treatment :oops:

I only had 2 of my upper 1st premolars removed and then 2 of me lower ones next week.

I can't wait for my teeth to be pulled back! This mouth protrusion and lip strain is getting to me.

Lovespain5

#49 Post by Lovespain5 »

Samahir wrote:
Lovespain5 wrote:
Don't hesitate asking me questions if you need. I finished my treatment so I can answer you in much points.
Thank you lovespain5!

Right now I'm wondering how long it will take to close the hideous extraction gaps. My upper arch is already straight and I had a powerchain installed. There is still one malaligned 2nd incisor in my lower arch and I have ligatures there. It all also hurts like hell.

How long did it take for your gaps to close? Did correcting the protrusion really improve your smile? And how did your ortho avoid causing a dished in profile?

TIA!
I wore my braces for 32 months. It took 24 months to close my gaps and the last 8 months were reserved for minor adjustments.
About the profile, I think a good orthodontist doesn't look only in your teeth but chose your treatment by considering your whole face.
Normally a dished in profile is impossible to achieve if you initially have a bimax protrusion, because your teeth have to be dramatically retracted to finish with a dished in profile.
Personnally, my orthodontist followed the evolution of my profile in each appointment.
About the smile, your teeth will certainly become perfectly straight, but not only. All your face will be improved!
Last edited by Lovespain5 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Lovespain5

#50 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote:
Lovespain5 wrote:
Hope you are going to recover easily! Which premolars will be extracted? The 4 first of them?

How long is estimated your treatment?
Sorry I was too excited of having them removed I forgot to ask how long will be the treatment :oops:

I only had 2 of my upper 1st premolars removed and then 2 of me lower ones next week.

I can't wait for my teeth to be pulled back! This mouth protrusion and lip strain is getting to me.

So probably all your 4 first bicuspids will be removed. Ask your orthodontist if you will wear elastics, powerchains or other stuff.

Samahir

#51 Post by Samahir »

[quote="Lovespain5"][quote="Samahir"][quote="Lovespain5"]

Don't hesitate asking me questions if you need. I finished my treatment so I can answer you in much points.[/quote]

Thank you lovespain5!

TIA![/quote]

I wore my braces for 32 months. It took 24 months to close my gaps and the last 8 months were reserved for minor adjustments.
About the profile, I think a good orthodontist doesn't look only in your teeth but chose your treatment by considering your whole face.
Normally a dished in profile is impossible to achieve if you initially have a bimax protrusion, because your teeth have to be dramatically retracted to finish with a dished in profile.
Personnally, my orthodontist followed the evolution of my profile in each appointment.
About the smile, your teeth will certainly become perfectly straight, but not only. All your face will be improved![/quote]

Wow thank you! But I wonder why it took 24 months to close your gaps! I hear people quoting figures between 4 months to 1 year and the junior ortho at my clinic told me that the average is 6 months but I took her words with a grain of salt because my gaps appeared huge to me at that time. Were your teeth resistant to movement? It would really be painful if I had to stay braced for another 2 years because I have already been in braces for 1 year and finally the ortho agreed that I cannot be treated without extractions. Needless to say I'm starting to get impatient :(

Hehe my mind is such a mess that I alternately stress over developing a dished in profile and not having enough space to fully correct the protrusion, or having the back teeth move into the gap instead of the front ones.

Did your tongue feel squeezed in your mouth after the front teeth were retracted?

Lovespain5

#52 Post by Lovespain5 »

Lovespain5 wrote:

About the smile, your teeth will certainly become perfectly straight, but not only. All your face will be improved!
Wow thank you! But I wonder why it took 24 months to close your gaps! I hear people quoting figures between 4 months to 1 year and the junior ortho at my clinic told me that the average is 6 months but I took her words with a grain of salt because my gaps appeared huge to me at that time. Were your teeth resistant to movement? It would really be painful if I had to stay braced for another 2 years because I have already been in braces for 1 year and finally the ortho agreed that I cannot be treated without extractions. Needless to say I'm starting to get impatient :(

Hehe my mind is such a mess that I alternately stress over developing a dished in profile and not having enough space to fully correct the protrusion, or having the back teeth move into the gap instead of the front ones.

Did your tongue feel squeezed in your mouth after the front teeth were retracted?[/quote]

About the profile : I don't have your photos but take a look at mine. I posted my before/after in older posts in this thread, which can give you an idea about how will become your profile.
About the tongue : No it wasn't squeezed because my upper arch was made rounder to avoid this side effect.
About the gaps : On the contrary, most of the people with bicuspids extracted I know had wore their braces for 2 or 3 years. Moreover, my ortho explained that is better for the teeth health to have lighter movements, even if the treatment lasts longer.

Samahir

#53 Post by Samahir »

Lovespain5 wrote:
About the profile : I don't have your photos but take a look at mine. I posted my before/after in older posts in this thread, which can give you an idea about how will become your profile.
About the tongue : No it wasn't squeezed because my upper arch was made rounder to avoid this side effect.
About the gaps : On the contrary, most of the people with bicuspids extracted I know had wore their braces for 2 or 3 years. Moreover, my ortho explained that is better for the teeth health to have lighter movements, even if the treatment lasts longer.
Yes I saw your amazing results! You have beautiful teeth and a great profile now! Congratulations!

Here I will attach photos of my current situation.
20161003_150756.jpg
20161003_150810.jpg
20161003_150819.jpg
I tried to measure them. They are approximately 0.8 cm above and 0.9 cm below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Samahir

#54 Post by Samahir »

And here is a photo of my protrusive profile
22.jpg

I haven't heard my ortho mention anything about making my arch rounder..

But really 24 months is too long :(
Don't people say that gaps close at about 1 mm/month?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lovespain5

#55 Post by Lovespain5 »

Your case is nearly similar to this girl's case.
Do you have incompetent lips as I had before my treatment?
Personnally, I hadn't known anybody who had 4 bicuspids extracted and wore his braces less than 20 months...
My gaps measured nearly 8 mm too.

Samahir

#56 Post by Samahir »

Wow the change in her case was really dramatic. But I think that my profile is far more convex than hers and I have no chin at all! Maybe I'll develop a small chin by the end of the treatment :D

Thinking about it again, maybe they should have pulled 8 teeth instead of 4 *sigh*
But really based on this, I think that my chance at developing a dished in profile is probably less than zero%

I really hope that I can survive for these 2 long years!

Lovespain5

#57 Post by Lovespain5 »

Samahir wrote:Wow the change in her case was really dramatic. But I think that my profile is far more convex than hers and I have no chin at all! Maybe I'll develop a small chin by the end of the treatment :D

Thinking about it again, maybe they should have pulled 8 teeth instead of 4 *sigh*
But really based on this, I think that my chance at developing a dished in profile is probably less than zero%

And this case, that I've already posted earlier shows remarkable changes too.
Last edited by Lovespain5 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lovespain5

#58 Post by Lovespain5 »

Samahir wrote:Wow the change in her case was really dramatic. But I think that my profile is far more convex than hers and I have no chin at all! Maybe I'll develop a small chin by the end of the treatment :D

You talk about 8 teeth pulled.
According to the descriptions, the mixed-race girl had been treated with 8 teeth removed because her wisdom teeth had been removed too.
Do you still have your wisdom teeth?
This can create another space to retract the teeth.

About the chin : I had a very weak chin before my treatment too as you can see. I never thought that my chin would become as it appears today.

I survived after 32 months of braces. You must survive after a 24 months treatment hehe.

Samahir

#59 Post by Samahir »

Oh really? I do have my wisdom teeth. They are doing quite fine so I wouldn't want to pull them out. Also maybe it would be too much for my tongue if I do. Don't know...

But hey don't forget that I've already been in braces for 1 year now before my ortho decided that nothing will happen without extractions lol.

Samahir

#60 Post by Samahir »

Actually looking at your chin gave me hope first that mine can be helped as well.