Braces journey starting 2016-03-17

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gobraces

Day 10: Rice Encounter

#16 Post by gobraces »

OK, this is kind of funny. I've read somewhere on this board that rice is not a friendly food for braces. I had first-hand experience today.

Went to a restaurant that serves a "rice/fragrant egglant" dish that I like a lot. I swear: I must have swallowed half of the rice unchewed, worked on chewing 1/4 of the rice somewhat before swallowing, and the balance all got stuck somewhere in my mouth. Gosh - good thing I had my water-pik with me so I could rinse things out before leaving the restaurant. I could not believe it!

Anyway, it was sort of amusing, I guess.

gobraces

Picture of the brackets I got

#17 Post by gobraces »

This picture was taken on Day 1 before the brackets were put in.
Ceramic upper
Metal lower
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gobraces

New spot in left cheek

#18 Post by gobraces »

A day shy of completing two weeks - woke up this morning and felt a spot in left cheek that's uncomfortable. Not sore, but my tongue can certainly feel a rough spot. Did I press against the upper bracket last night during sleep? These things will just pop up every so often, I guess. Other than that, not much news. Mouth does often feel dry - not sure why. Teeth are not really sensitive any more, although I still try not to bite into anything when I eat. I can't really see much change at all, but guess it's still too early...or I'm getting too old... Must stay positive!!

gobraces

Roof of mouth

#19 Post by gobraces »

So today begins week #3. New observation today is:

(1) Some discomfort on the roof of my mouth. I think it's taking a toll from my trying to eat more regular food, and the only possible way right now is by crushing them with my tongue against the top of the mouth. I still cannot chew properly as my molars in the back don't really meet. I will have to tone down.

(2) The spot in the left cheek comes and goes. Probably part of the "toughening up" process. Eating and talking less probably helps. Rinsing with salt water in the morning and evening also helps greatly.

(3) New spot inside the middle of the lower lip feeling strange - are the brackets moving? Really didn't have this sensation until last night.

Learning: strange discomfort will probably keep popping up at different places in the mouth. Ongoing adaptation. Still no need for wax or anything since it's tolerable and seem to disappear rather fast.

gobraces

End of Week 3 Update

#20 Post by gobraces »

Today is day 21. Slowly but surely the teeth are moving, although ever so slightly. Below is a photo comparing day 21 to day 1. I marked two places where I see some slight change. Especially where the blue arrow is - I think that tooth is lower. It probably is hard to tell from the picture (pardon the poor quality), but my upper canine does not seem to bump into the bracket as much, and thus I now have some molars touching in the back on the left side (right side in the picture). For the red arrow (incisors), I think the wire just looks a tiny bit straighter today versus three weeks ago.
day 21 vs day 1 s.jpg
Perhaps due to the slight straightening, I can feel a slight wire poke. Probably not anything to see the orthodontist for just yet.

Other than that, some days my mouth feels very dry no matter how much water I drink. Some days I forget about the braces, some days they seem so large in my mouth. I still find myself looking into mirrors all the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gobraces

2016-04-21 Adjustment #1

#21 Post by gobraces »

It's been five weeks and today was adjustment #1. I got white ligature wires for the upper. I was told that these hold better than the rubber band type, and that they don't stain. (My old ligatures did stain a bit, although I don't drink coffee or tea.) The process was quite fast. Now after 5 hours I haven't felt much discomfort. I can definitely see some "tightening" - the wires are quite a bit less level than yesterday. The assistant said I should really see some movement this month now - I have definitely seen quite a few places change already and my bite is different. Next appointment is in 5 weeks.

I had a question for my orthodontist regarding the front incisors so I emailed him a couple of days back. See these two pictures: top is from 3/17 and bottom from 4/19. I noticed that the incisor (colored in the picture) has tilted and that's due to the bracket not placed parallel to the edge, unlike all the other teeth. I figured there must be a reason, such as edge/enamel wear, etc. That is exactly what it is. My ortho wrote back on the same day and here is what he said: "Due to the malposition of your upper 2 central incisor, there is uneven enamel wear on the incisal edges of these teeth. If I place the brackets according to the worn edges, the teeth will be distally tipped once they rotate. I placed these brackets according to the long axis of the teeth. Once they properly rotate, I can better evaluate these teeth and either adjust the uneven edges or have your dentist adding bonding composite to give them a more normal appearance." So today when I went in I wanted to make sure I understand, and he patiently explained it to me again. He also says that it's not at all unusual to reposition brackets when situations call for it. I trust my ortho so will see what happens. Maybe some bonding is in the future...

swisscat

Re: Braces journey starting 2016-03-17

#22 Post by swisscat »

Nice progress already. It is great that your otho is explaining everything to you! I am like you, I like to ask questions and understand what they are doing and why... mostly out of curiosity because I am sure that they know best :P

gobraces

7-week update with photos

#23 Post by gobraces »

It's been seven weeks (and one week since adjustment #1), so I thought I'd post a couple of before-and-after pictures. So far I've been on 0.014 NiTi wire only.

First: the top arch. March 17 versus today (April 28, 2016)
I think I can see the incisors forming a slightly better arch here.
2.JPG
Second: bottom view. Feb/March (don't remember exactly which day - the date in the picture is probably wrong) versus today (April 28, 2016).
Note the blue arrow - here is where I see the most obvious movement. That tooth is being pulled out and straighter. Less obvious is the tooth to the right of the arrow - it's been extruded and is now more level.
The left most tooth visible (marked with a red "x") was extracted before braces went on, so no longer showing the today's picture. This makes room for more movement to come.
1.JPG

Sadjaw

Jaw was move forward too much? Help

#24 Post by Sadjaw »

I have 6 mm of overbite, nice jaw line and gummy smile. The ortho and surgeon recommended double jaw surgery AN option for tooth extraction was presented but mentioned was not ideal and will make me look older- I am 52.

6 months ago I had double jaw, upper jaw move up 4 mm, Lower forward 6 mm. My mouth looks quite protuberant but I was hoping things will improve with time.

I am about to get my braces out and my dentist who is honest, just let me know that my front teeth will stick out- have to be almost horizontal. Apparently, my jaws are at the same level and there is not space. I wonder if my my lower jaw was move too far forward? Does anyone has the same problem? Is there any other solution? Any help would be appreciate it.

Esthetically, I am unhappy my face look wider and now my two jaws are protruding.

gobraces

Re: Jaw was move forward too much? Help

#25 Post by gobraces »

Sadjaw wrote:I have 6 mm of overbite, nice jaw line and gummy smile. The ortho and surgeon recommended double jaw surgery AN option for tooth extraction was presented but mentioned was not ideal and will make me look older- I am 52.

6 months ago I had double jaw, upper jaw move up 4 mm, Lower forward 6 mm. My mouth looks quite protuberant but I was hoping things will improve with time.

I am about to get my braces out and my dentist who is honest, just let me know that my front teeth will stick out- have to be almost horizontal. Apparently, my jaws are at the same level and there is not space. I wonder if my my lower jaw was move too far forward? Does anyone has the same problem? Is there any other solution? Any help would be appreciate it.

Esthetically, I am unhappy my face look wider and now my two jaws are protruding.
Hi, Sadjaw. Sorry to hear about your story, but I really don't know anything about jaw surgery, etc. It may help if you start a new topic so that your question will likely be seen by more people directly. Good luck!

gobraces

8-week update

#26 Post by gobraces »

So yesterday was the beginning of the 9th week in braces. I thought I'd post a quick update with a before-and-after view at the end of 8 weeks.
8 weeks.JPG
The yellow arrows above are where I see the most change. The upper front - that twisted incisor is now aligned better. On the bottom, the canine that used to be tipped inwards now stands much straighter. Not much change on bottom left (actually it is the right side in my mouth, but shows in the picture as the left side). Extraction gaps (shown as red "x"s) are yet to be closed, although the one on the bottom is getting slightly smaller.

So far I'm pleased. The second month sees a lot of movement and my arch seems to be slight different almost every day. This means that the mouth has to constantly adjust to changing positions of all the brackets. Cleaning/brushing routine has been established. It still takes a while with all the steps (water pik -> Gum soft picks -> brushing -> flossing -> mouth rinse), but I'm definitely getting better. Flossing helps me notice how the teeth move as well.

uche123

#27 Post by uche123 »

You are 3 weeks ahead of me

Will be following your journey

gobraces

#28 Post by gobraces »

uche123 wrote:You are 3 weeks ahead of me

Will be following your journey
Sounds good,uche123!

gobraces

Adjustment #2 (10 weeks)

#29 Post by gobraces »

Yesterday I went for my second adjustment. Still the same wire as the ortho said there is still some rotation work to be done, and the niti 0.14 is the best wire. He did say that at my next adjustment, he will probably use a thicker wire for the upper.

I feel that most of the work yesterday was done to close my extraction gap on the lower right. He put in a short chain there and explained that it will probably lose its strength after three or four weeks. But that's a good thing since we want the teeth to take its time to move slowly. He also explained that since the chain is attached to a molar (with 3 or 4 roots) and a bicuspid (2 roots), the bicuspid will be the one that will move. (I hope I got the terms right.)

Next adjustment is in 6 weeks. I had some sore at dinner yesterday, but things seem to have settled today. I was told that sometimes after a couple of days maybe some tooth could get sore again. You never know.

This morning I also felt like the extraction gap has already closed a bit. Could the chain work so fast? It's only been less than a day.

I really like the white wire ties I got last time for the upper. They hold well and don't stain. This time I got a few wire ties on the bottom also, on the three teeth near the extraction.

gobraces

Adjustment #3

#30 Post by gobraces »

Today marks the end of 16 weeks after braces and tomorrow week #17 begins. My third adjustment was today. Major change was I got new wire for lower - an upgrade from 14 to 16. Still 14 for the upper. (I thought last month I heard the doc mention that I would be getting 16 for upper today. Oh, well - they know best and I trust him.) It really hurt on some of the teeth when the assistant put the lower wire in, but the pain did not last at all. My appointment was 3pm this afternoon so it's been six hours. Some lower teeth hurt when I chew hard, but otherwise I really don't feel much. Guess no hard chewing for a day or two, again.

At the ortho office, I had a really strange feeling when the assistant first removed the lower wire and for a few seconds I was wire-free (on the lower). How would I describe the feeling - helpless was what comes to mind. So weird!

Below is a "before" (Feb 2016) picture and a picture from just a few minutes ago - just for the record. I can definitely see progress in the 3+ months time frame. My upper central has turned quite a bit. The left side of my lower (right side in photo) has moved, too, and the teeth are better aligned. I continue to have a chain on the lower extraction site to help close the gap more. This should help with the crowding situation still yet to be solved. But so far I'm happy with the way the braces are working.