A gift to myself - at 37. All sorts of crazy inside.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emily0709

A gift to myself - at 37. All sorts of crazy inside.

#1 Post by emily0709 »

Hello!

I touched on what brought me here a bit in the introduction thread ... but decided I'd start here too. For myself, and to hopefully inspire someone. Anyone.

I am 37 years old. I am a single mom of an 8 year old and 6 year old. I was married for many years and it was an abusive relationship. Details not needed, but I finally got out. That was 5 years ago, and I went from being unemployed (I was a stay-at-home mom) to having a full time job that I love and a household I manage on one income. I had to go on food stamps and welfare in the beginning. It was not a fun time, and very embarrassing. Once I gained job stability I was on my own and it felt nice. Around that same time, my best friend was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. She went to the Dr. for back pain and after many tests later it was shown she had cancer. Everywhere. She lived for 17 more months. She was my sidekick. We went through it all together. She was a sister to me and was gone. I held her as she died in hospice. Her children weren't there as the psychiatrist thought it was too much for them. She was a single mom, too.

And this is getting waaaaay off topic.

After she died, I grieved. I was able to grieve a lot while she was still here, as I knew the outcome would be death. So, in my grieving I realized that I was so very lucky! I had a healthy body, and that is a gift. Truly. She did not have that gift, cancer stole that. I had a healthy body, but extra weight. I joined a gym committed myself. It was a gym that bases your membership rate on your income, so I could afford it finally! I went all in. They have a free personal trainer and he helped get me started.

That was a year ago. I have lost 50 pounds. My blood work is BEAUTIFUL (that is, if blood work can be beautiful) :wink:

Next was my teeth. Oh, look, this IS a braces-related piece! :HugeGrin:

I had braces as a teen. For years. When they came off, it was determined that I should consider having my impacted wisdom teeth removed. Even though there was enough room, I was told teeth shift all the time. I was scared. I did not have them removed. I did not wear my retainers properly. My teeth shifted to the point of nearly how they were pre-braces and my bottom became WAY worse. One of my bottom teeth was pushed so far back, people sometimes asked if I had a tongue ring. Finally, my impacted wisdom teeth became inflamed, so I was able to get insurance to pay to get them removed. This was about a year before my divorce. My ex never agreed for me to get braces as they were stupid and I was conceited for wanting them.

Fast forward (and thank you if you've read this far!)

I found a well respected orthodontist in my area with a pretty do-able payment plan. After several appointments and such, I had them placed this past Monday. I went in, had the brackets and wires put on the top and then just the brackets on the bottom that morning. At noon, I went to my dentist and had the "tongue ring" tooth removed as there was no way to make it shift forward without "shaving" the rest of my bottom teeth too much. At 2 pm I went back to the orthodontist, bloody gauze and all, and he put the wires in. Only my top has been "activated" as he wants to wait 4 weeks to start the movement on the bottom for healing.

Dear LORD ... this has been somewhat painful. I am on day 3 and my teeth are super sensitive (the tops) to the point it is hard to put chapstick on. Eating is hilarious. Motrin is my BFF. And I couldn't be happier that I am finally getting this done.

For me.

emily0709

Re: A gift to myself - at 37. All sorts of crazy inside.

#2 Post by emily0709 »

Here are some pics - right before and the day after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chippy3000

#3 Post by Chippy3000 »

Thank you for sharing. You are quite inspirational!

I was in an abusive relationship for a while. It stays with you but makes you stronger. I know a lot about taking care of myself from the neglect.

Your teeth look lovely and I'm sure they will look fantastic very soon!

I feel your pain! I'm still adjusting one week in.

emily0709

#4 Post by emily0709 »

Chippy3000 wrote:Thank you for sharing. You are quite inspirational!

I was in an abusive relationship for a while. It stays with you but makes you stronger. I know a lot about taking care of myself from the neglect.

Your teeth look lovely and I'm sure they will look fantastic very soon!

I feel your pain! I'm still adjusting one week in.

Congratulations on getting out of the relationship!

Today is day 4 ... I woke up feeling better but last night was by far the worst. I let more than 8 hours pass between motrin and I was not ready to do that it seems. I was nearly in tears and thought I had a high pain tolerance! :shock:

emily0709

#5 Post by emily0709 »

Day 7 - one week in. No more pain :mrgreen:

gobraces

#6 Post by gobraces »

Yeah! This is my week #3 so hoping we all see good progress.

emily0709

#7 Post by emily0709 »

Just rounded week 2, bite bumps are annoying. Nothing else I really notice any more ... until I try to eat. :roll: Def shift in bottom teeth already, and some noticeable space changes between some teeth, even daily, when I go to floss.

Excited for my next appointment in 2 weeks. Sounds weird, but once my teeth stopped being so sore, I am worried that nothing is happening. Like, when they are sore, at least I know they are doing something. LOL

buffon85

#8 Post by buffon85 »

thank you for sharing!
you have nice shaped teeth, you will have an excellent result!
braces are an important thing for most of us, i think! :HugeGrin:

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

emily0709

#9 Post by emily0709 »

It's amazing how much some have moved! If you look at my "unbraced" photo the really crooked tooth that was removed ... that space is half the size now. It's actually super exciting!

emily0709

#10 Post by emily0709 »

First adjustment today :mrgreen:

They placed new wires all the way back to the last molar bracket (they did not go all the way back before) and switched to a lighter wire on the bottom. I had a tooth pulled the day they went on a month ago, and they want that space to close a little more slowly to keep the teeth from leaning too fast.

It felt weird when they took the wires off! Almost like taking off your bra at the end of a long day (lol, sorry!) When they put the new ones on, they are def a little tighter but warned me I would not see too much movement these next 4 weeks, but the next appointment they will switch to a heavier wire. I already see a lot of movement, so that's fine.

I picked the neutral "steel" colored bands last month, but this month I am emBRACING in (groan) and went with purple. My 8 year old's pick. Next month, my 6 year old son gets to choose. God help me ...

onwardsandupwards

#11 Post by onwardsandupwards »

Firstly, congratulations on getting out of your abusive relationship and for getting through everything you've faced, really truly inspirational story and it's wonderful you've reached the point where you're now able to do something for you!

Secondly, welcome to the club and good luck with your journey. Sounds like your teeth are moving quickly already! Have you been given an estimate for how long you'll have them? I look forward to seeing your progression :)

Jdizle

#12 Post by Jdizle »

I have the same one 'long' tooth as you. But I don't think mine is getting pulled. I'm struggling to see how it will fit haha will have to ask at my appointment!!

Good luck with your braces.

buffon85

#13 Post by buffon85 »

emily0709 wrote:
It felt weird when they took the wires off! Almost like taking off your bra at the end of a long day (lol, sorry!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I woudn´t compare the two situations. the above situation is the most relieving part of the day (taking off the shoes is next)
When he takes the wires off i feel like my teeth have no support, no relieving part here! i wonder if that is the feeling when the braces are off and how long it lasts.

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

emily0709

#14 Post by emily0709 »

Thanks guys! :D

OMG was I sore on Saturday! We went out to eat at Texas Roadhouse and I could not even eat a roll :( It's getting better today.

The tooth that is kinda jacked up in my pics on the top ... it is rapidly starting to move straighter so that hurts and is exciting at the same time. Teeth are so crazy.

emily0709

#15 Post by emily0709 »

Jdizle wrote:I have the same one 'long' tooth as you. But I don't think mine is getting pulled. I'm struggling to see how it will fit haha will have to ask at my appointment!!

Good luck with your braces.

As for this, they can do this thing called "slenderization" (sp) where they put abrasive material between the bottom teeth to make more room ... they take off some of the enamel. With mine, it was too much of a small space so he was worried about taking off too much enamel. He assured me with computer images that once all my bottom teeth come together it won't be noticeable at all that I am missing a tooth. Fingers crossed!