Power Chains, are they always so fast?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Slader01

Re: Power Chains, are they always so fast?

#16 Post by Slader01 »

I think it depends on the size of the gap, the size of the teeth & the size of the power chain. Im currently 3 months in with traditionals & had a power chain 6-6 (count, 6 teeth on the left side of your mouth, to 6 teeth on the right side of your mouth; it's first molar to first molar) on my bottom teeth for the first two months of treatment, in attempt to close a midline gap. In that two months, the gap closed very little, if at all. My 4 front lower teeth are very small & gap was maybe 2mm wide, so maybe it was difficult for the power chain to "sense" there was even a gap there, if you know what I mean. However, at my last adjustment, they gave me a thicker wire and changed the power chain from 6-6 to 3-3(count 3 teeth on left side to 3 teeth on right side; it's canine to canine) on the lower, probably to put force in that particular area/to make the power chain focus in that particular area. Within hours, the gap instantly began to close, and within 2 days, it was almost completely closed. 3 weeks later, it still isn't completely closed (but so small that no one would notice unless they were looking for it), but I have an adjustment next week, so we'll see what happens. Once again, I feel like the reason the power chain is struggling is because those teeth are really small, so the brackets are already really close together, if you know what I mean. I have a large gap between my two maxillary central incisors (you can fit an iPhone 5 in between it, with room for it to move around!) i would say a power chain 3-3 could close that in minutes (a 1-1 probably in seconds). I even feel like a 6-6 or 7-7 could close it in hours. I'm still yet to get a power chain on my maxillary teeth, maybe(hopefully) at my next adjustment.. The thing to know is that the smaller the power chain (like the 3-3 I told you about) the faster the gap in that particular area will close, because the power chain can focus more on those teeth, if you know what I mean. It actually really makes sense.