Impacted Canine Exposure Links/Pictures

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fyrelight

Impacted Canine Exposure Links/Pictures

#1 Post by fyrelight »

I thought it would be neat to post some links to those considering canine exposure in the future. I found these. If anyone has any more, go ahead and post 'em!

http://www.drbeers.com/cosmeticdentistry/case4.html

http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-64/issue-8/572.html

http://www.paro.org/archives/19_HS/korbendauF.htm

http://www.browardoms.com/procedures/wisdom_teeth.html

http://www.drsosbern.com/resources/appl ... sure.shtml

http://ejo.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte ... t/26/6/591

http://www.pittsburghdentalimplants.com ... acted.html

http://www.eapd.gr/Journal/2001v2/Vol%2 ... stract.htm This one is not letting me link it properly.... Here's the text:
European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry

2001 Volume 2
Number 3 September

Orthodontic-surgical treatment of unerupted permanent teeth using the fully repositioned flap technique. Part 1. Results, treatment time and post-treatment stability in 90 cases

N. A. LYGIDAKIS*, N. THEOLOGIE-LYGIDAKIS**, A. S. DIMOPOULOS***
SUMMARY
Aim The aim of this study was to investigate the surgical and orthodontic findings of combined orthodontic-surgical management of unerupted permanent teeth performed by the same team in one clinic and using the same fully repositioned flap as the surgical technique for tooth exposure. Methods This was a retrospective study using patients' records, orthopantomographs and lateral cephalographs. From these records, the age, position of the impacted tooth, type of orthodontic anomaly, surgical and orthodontic treatment performed, duration and the orthodontic status after four years were recorded for each patient. The sample included 68 individuals aged 9-25 years, who received treatment in 68 maxillary and mandibular canines, 17 maxillary and mandibular incisors, four mandibular premolars and one mandibular molar. From the 90 teeth in total, 60 were positioned buccally and 30 palatally (all maxillary canines), while 79 were in the maxilla and 11 in the mandible. The surgical procedure used was the one-step fully repositioned flap including attachment of a bracket with a ligature wire using acid-etch technique, followed by orthodontic traction introduced always from the same jaw upon necessary space creation. The four-year follow-up re-examination of 48 patients, treated for unilateral exposure, included occlusal evaluation in the operated and the control teeth in the opposite side. Results In 86 teeth (95.5% of the total cases) the treatment was successful. In seven cases (7.7%) a second operation was needed because of wire or bracket failure during orthodontic traction. In further 12 cases (13.3%) a second step crown uncovering was performed after the tooth's eruption, as a result of local gingival overgrowth. Mean eruption time in successful cases was 8.6 months (range 4-20 months). Statistical analysis of the data revealed that buccally positioned canines erupted quicker (x-7.9 months) than the palatal ones (x=11.4 months), whereas there was no statistically significant difference in eruption time among the buccally positioned canines and incisors. Eruption time was statistical significantly related in the cases of buccal canines with both the height and the angle of the impacted teeth, while in cases of palatal canines only with angle. In the cases of the buccally positioned incisors height was more relevant to the eruption time than angulation. Concerning their orthodontic status, 38 (79.1%) of the patients presented acceptable alignment on the impaction side as compared with 46 (95.8%) in the control side. This difference was statistically significant. Conclusions The results of this study indicate that the orthodontic-surgical treatment of unerupted teeth using the fully repositioned flap is a successful procedure and should be considered as a treatment of first choice in such cases. Possible future orthodontic problems may exist, but they can be resolved with proper clinical handling.
These 2 pics I found.. its not MY surgery, but similar.. where they peel back your palate to find the teeth and stick brackets on them.

Here's mine, too... It's not professional, but I'll include it:

http://www.ourchurch.com/view/?pageID=164075
Last edited by fyrelight on Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Manda

#2 Post by Manda »

Great links and photos Fyrelight, thanks for the much needed info! :D

Neva

#3 Post by Neva »

First post--because I had to say thank you, a million times over, for all of this, even if the pictures are a little gruesome. I have one remaining baby canine, and will be having surgery to extract it and expose the adult tooth soon, though I don't know exactly what the date will be yet. (Should find out this week.) Ever since my dentist told me, years ago--I'm 24 now--that the baby tooth would fall out someday, I've had nightmares about it. Then, once I got my braces on (uppers only right now), I started to worry about whether the adult tooth would still look normal. The pictures from your site and the others you found make me feel so much better about doing this.

Is there a chance you could describe how it feels? My experience with my wisdom teeth was very very bad, and I can't help worrying that this will be the same, even though I know it's a completely different ball game. If this is something you've talked about before, I apologize for asking you to repeat it. :)

fyrelight

#4 Post by fyrelight »

Neva, well, the surgery wasn't a cakewalk but it wasnt too bad... I was awake for it, just had novacaine. It was just a little frightening hearing the docs discuss tools (Hand me the bone saw, nurse) kinda thing. No pain except a little when the novacaine wore off before they gave me more. Afterward, I was sore..... and just all nervous/jittery from all that novacaine (it has adrenaline in it). It took only a week or two to feel fine, though... and I had dissolvable stitches so I didnt have to get any stitches taken out-- they dissolved in just a few days. It's really not all that bad -- you'll be okay!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

fyrelight

#5 Post by fyrelight »

Neva, how's everything going now?
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

fyrelight

#6 Post by fyrelight »

Neva, I wonder whatever happened to you? Is your canine in place now? Or still coming down?
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

fyrelight

#7 Post by fyrelight »

Bump for new impacted-ers... :)
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Lin

#8 Post by Lin »

Thanks, this is very helpful info! :)
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

fyrelight

#9 Post by fyrelight »

Feel free to add any new canine exposure links that you may find... :) I just added a couple of new ones I found.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

hollypop

#10 Post by hollypop »

I have to get the same done to my canines. Thanks for posting your procedures, I've asked the dentist what the procedure involves, but they assume I know all the techical words and make it brief.

Now I know what I'm getting myself into. Thanks !!!

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

I have to get the same done to my canines. Thanks for posting your procedures, I've asked the dentist what the procedure involves, but they assume I know all the techical words and make it brief.

Now I know what I'm getting myself into. Thanks !!!
I need my cainin brought down as well. I don't understand it all, but at one point I decided I just to trust them.

- Missing Tooth -

fyrelight

#12 Post by fyrelight »

Good luck, you guys! Let us know how it goes!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Shawnie

#13 Post by Shawnie »

Thanks fyrelight for all of you information - very helpful.

Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

fyrelight

#14 Post by fyrelight »

Wanted to add Dakota Fanning's interview on Regis about her impacted canine saga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov-2HaRMvSA

Check it out!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

nimo

#15 Post by nimo »

I'm getting my canine exposed on the seventh of February. I'm not too nervous yet (I'm sure I will be the night before). I'm just wondering for the people here who have gone through it how much time passed between the actual exposure and the tooth coming all the way down?

I'm supposed to have jaw surgery, but I assume they're going to wait until my canine is down. And if that's the case, then I won't be here for them to do the jaw surgery (I'm military, and I'm leaving here May '08).
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008