Is 4 mm a significant overjet?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jared

Is 4 mm a significant overjet?

#1 Post by Jared »

I am in the process of deciding between extraction of the two upper first bicuspids and lower jaw advancement surgery. I am leaning toward the extractions for a few reasons--namely less trauma and interruption to my life. I already have a beautiful wife so don't need to impress the ladies with a perfect profile. :wink: So I am wondering if a 4 mm overjet is significant or realtively small in comparison to others who may or may not have had surgery. Your thoughts?
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

4mm is usually considered to be at the upper end of the "desirable" spectrum. My ortho told me that between 2 and 4 mm is "normal". Mine is 8mm which is pretty large, but I had extractions in my teens so my ortho didn't want to remove any more teeth.
I could have had jaw surgery but instead have chosen to have mini-screw implants in my palate to move my whole arch backwards in my mouth, as there is plenty of room at the back.
If you're not worried about a perfect profile then extractions should give you an acceptable result without all the trauma and disruption of jaw surgery and a long recovery period.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Last edited by Lisa65 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi Jared,

I have a 5 mm overjet which my orthodontist said was mild. Initially he said I may need 2 teeth extracted in the upper arch and to get my overjet fully corrected I can have jaw surgery to move my lower jaw forward. He said he would know more after looking at my X-Rays which I had done after the consultation appt. After reviewing my X-Rays, my orthodontist informed me that he felt he could reduce my overjet by 50-75% using elastics and without extractions. I didn't want to have surgery because my insurance does not cover it. I was satisfied with the reduction that he said he could obtain with the elastics. He said my teeth were very well aligned and I had a crossbite on one side, which was corrected before I got my upper braces using an expander, a 5 mmm overjet and a few minor corrections he will do while wearing braces. I will be getting my lower braces next week (I have had my upper braces for about 3-1/2 months) and not sure when I will begin to wear the elastics to reduce the overjet.

I know a 5 mm overjet isn't severe but it has always been on my mind and when I went in for the consulation I wasn't even aware of my crossbite, I was concerned about the overjet. I knew if I had not proceeded with beginning ortho treatment now I wouldn't do it in the future. My hesitation was due to being an adult wearing braces. It was a difficult decision but I knew if I didn't proceed with the ortho treatment, it would always be on the back of my mind, so it was now or never.

I went to 4 consultations and one said I didn't need braces, one said I needed 2 extractions and full braces, another said I needed a retainer and the ortho I chose. I also felt most comfortable with my orthodontist and his staff - they are so kind and never too busy to answer my questions - this is what has made my ortho treatment a pleasure and I do enjoy going to my appts. My ortho treatment was estimated at 20 months.

You indicated you already have your upper braces - what results did he say you would get without the extracations/surgery. Are the braces alone reducing the overjet and how much of a reduction? If you are not satisfied with the reduction amount he can get without the extractions I do suggest you think about it. But, a 4 mm overjet isn't severe - I think this decision will be how you feel about it unless your orthodontist informed you of pros/cons for the health of your teeth. Just curious, are you going to be getting lower braces? Are your braces now just to correct the overjet or is it to correct other ortho problems? My feeling is if the health of your teeth is not a concern, go with what you feel is best. You are already wearing braces so just be sure you will be happy with how your teeth will look once your braces are removed.

With the extractions, how much will your ortho be able to reduce your overjet and how long will you have to wear braces?

My orthodontist told me that 1-2 mm overjet is the standard.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Last edited by ssfw on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Mine was 4mm to begin with and it is now (18 months later) gone on the left side and I am about 1 mm away on the right side. All my ortho had to do with me is use elastics. I had enough room to push everything back to get a good result I guess.

Good luck with your decission!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Jillianleab

#5 Post by Jillianleab »

I have (had) the mother of all overjets - 10mm! The first ortho I saw told me I'd never have a perfect bite without surgery. I went for another consult with the ortho I ended up choosing, and he said it MIGHT be needed, but we would re-asses in about 6 months. I'm just past the 3 month mark, and my overjet has reduced dramatically, without even having elastics. My advice is to talk to your ortho about your concerns and find out how much your overjet can be reduced. If it's to get the elusive "perfect" bite and profile, you need to decide how important that is to you. For me, personally, having surgery isn't worth a few mm!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

vegathestar

Re: Is 4 mm a significant overjet?

#6 Post by vegathestar »

I have a 3~4 mm overjet and my orthodontist claimed that its normal and refused to treat it for me :| but i'm pretty sure it isn't! I thought a 1mm-2mm overjet is much more optimal

starfish88

#7 Post by starfish88 »

I raise you 12mm! Yup I had a 12mm overjet when I began! And it is now normal! Both me and my ortho can't quite believe our luck that I was able to sort it without surgery or extractions but I guess I just got really really lucky. (And my ortho is the best I could find). It is possible but not always predictable - there was no gaurantee that I would get better than 7mm as an end result when I started which would still be far more obvious than your starting overjet of 4mm.

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

SunshineRay

#8 Post by SunshineRay »

I think my overjet was 10mm and almost 3 months into treatment and its almost gone. I did have 2 extractions.

vegathestar

#9 Post by vegathestar »

I'm near the end of my treatment (my gaps are almost closed) and yet i'm still having the same amount of overjet right from the start, this is devastating!
I raised my concern with my orthodontist and I think he plans to leave it at that because he thinks my overjet looks 'alright'. :-+

Mauvaise

#10 Post by Mauvaise »

starfish88 wrote:I raise you 12mm! Yup I had a 12mm overjet when I began!
I'm another in the 12mm overjet club. I did have (4) extrations (premolars) because I have a very small mouth and there was no room to uncrowd bottom teeth or move top teeth without. However, I got down to a normal overjet, I'd say about 3mm without measuring, all with just elastics! It's amazing. I'll have to ask my ortho tomorrow when I see him for the exact measurement.

I got my braces off yesterday (!!!!!!) and it was so amazing to bite through a hamburger with my front teeth like normal people instead of having to bite from the side or use my tongue to help tear my food.
In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

SunshineRay

#11 Post by SunshineRay »

Mauvaise wrote:
I'm another in the 12mm overjet club. I did have (4) extrations (premolars) because I have a very small mouth and there was no room to uncrowd bottom teeth or move top teeth without. However, I got down to a normal overjet, I'd say about 3mm without measuring, all with just elastics! It's amazing. I'll have to ask my ortho tomorrow when I see him for the exact measurement.

I got my braces off yesterday (!!!!!!) and it was so amazing to bite through a hamburger with my front teeth like normal people instead of having to bite from the side or use my tongue to help tear my food.
Did your front teeth hurt during/after eating with them?

Mauvaise

#12 Post by Mauvaise »

SunshineRay wrote: Did your front teeth hurt during/after eating with them?
Nope, not a bit! I was expecting some sensitivity, if not actual pain, in the few days/week after the braces came off (I've learned almost nothing was entirely pain-free during the othrodontic process :) ), but I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm sure that will change tomorrow when I finally pick up my retainers.
In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

JessicaRabbit

#13 Post by JessicaRabbit »

My orthodontist told me that I have to double my elastics. I have a 4 mm overjet, so i wonder how much longer i will have them on. He said after this I am done.

Oversmite

#14 Post by Oversmite »

Mauvaise wrote:

Oh god, how annoying is it to try and eat burgers with braces?! I always have to wait until about 4-5 weeks before there's a low enough pain tolerance to try and its still always so messy haha.

Awesome news about the elastics!! I'm trying to fix mine with just elastics, hoping it goes well!!
Braced: 10th March, 2016

Sentence: 18 months (no probation)

Branwillaws

#15 Post by Branwillaws »

I would consider surgery personally. It's not that bad. Also I don't know if you have any breathing or sleep apnea problems but advancing the lower jaw would help with that as well.