Top teeth stick out after getting braces off?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lanerbanerrr

Top teeth stick out after getting braces off?

#1 Post by lanerbanerrr »

Hello, So, I got my braces off a few hours ago after nearly three years. I was pretty happy, but I am starting to notice more and more every time I look at my teeth that the top row is sticking out. I look like a chipmunk. I am very angry, but when I asked the ortho assistant she just said something about clearance and that it cannot be changed. What should I do? Talk to another ortho? Or go to the same one and ask about it? I have to go back on Wednesday to get my retainer, but I'm not sure about what to do now, since I'm not satisfied with the result. I did not have this issue before braces, and I didn't really notice it while I still had them on, tbh. Please let me know what I should do. I seriously feel like breaking down. I'll upload some photos later.

MilkTeaholic

Re: Top teeth stick out after getting braces off?

#2 Post by MilkTeaholic »

If you're not satisfied, keep insisting that they fix it. Do you have a regular dentist? If so, I would make an appointment with them to see what they have to say. That might help support your point. I am new to braces but I read the older topics and time and again I see people having to redo after either not listening to their inner doubts or let their ortho at the time convince them it is okay. If you do not get a satisfied answer, listen to yourself. Just because we do not have the medical degree doesn't mean we do not have an innate sense of what is right or wrong for us. :D

Tobilei

#3 Post by Tobilei »

Ask your actual orthodontist and not the assistant and insist that you're not happy with the result. You're supposed to feel like your teeth are better at the end of treatment and if you don't you have every right to have your concerns addressed.

lanerbanerrr

#4 Post by lanerbanerrr »

Thank you everyone! I will talk to him on Wednesday. I'm honestly scared to see what will happen, but it doesn't hurt to try!

Ciara

#5 Post by Ciara »

No, it never hurts to try and you will be kicking yourself it you don't. Good luck!

lanerbanerrr

#6 Post by lanerbanerrr »

Hello,
I got my retainer today, a permanent one on the bottom and one I can take on and off on top. I asked them, and the ortho told me that to move my top teeth back, they would have to pull two teeth from the top and two teeth from the bottom. This would move my lips back, and he said that is why he did not want to do it. He said that for every millimeter that my teeth move back, my lips move back a millimeter. They told me that I should wait until my next check up appointment in May, and if I am still not happy with how they look, we can move on to pulling the top and bottom teeth out to make room for them to move back. I am very satisfied with my teeth except for the top that sticks out slightly. Here is what they look like:

So, thoughts? What should I do? Should I go to another orthodontist and ask if there are any other ways to fix this? Or just live with it?
Thanks for all of your advice!

Tobilei

#7 Post by Tobilei »

It sounds to me like there's not enough room in your mouth to move them back (did you suffer overcrowding before braces?)

I think it looks fine and honestly not something that anyone but you will notice.

That being said, you do deserve to be completely happy with your teeth. Getting a second opinion on how to treat this might not be a bad option just for your own peace of mind.

lanerbanerrr

#8 Post by lanerbanerrr »

Here's what they look like from the front:

Tobilei

#9 Post by Tobilei »

You'd never know that gap was there from the front.

ETA: Sorry if that sounds rude. I don't mean it to be. I added a smiley face but that just looked awkward too :shock: )

isthistaken

#10 Post by isthistaken »

My opinion is it would be a shame to pull four of those nice teeth!

prairiehouse

#11 Post by prairiehouse »

Eeek, I definitely wouldn't pull out any teeth just to improve that aspect of your bite. Your overjet might be improved, but the outer cosmetic issues would likely be far greater.

Kipepeo

#12 Post by Kipepeo »

I also think your smile looks pretty awesome, and I see nothing wrong with your profile.

I think you should wait way past May to even consider doing anything, especially as drastic as pulling teeth. Maybe you just need to get used to your new look. I don't think you look like a chipmunk at all, not at all.

teddy13

#13 Post by teddy13 »

I think that your teeth looks great from the front! The side picture shows that the teeth sticks out just a teeny tiny bit. If you pull out all four teeth (two on top and two on the bottom) your facial structure will change slightly. This will result in a narrower jaw and your ortho is right, your lips will move back and it will make your lips look thin. There are actually a lot of people who have had these extractions in order to make room in their mouth to straighten their teeth and there are many who regret having those extractions and having braces to close up those gaps. Do your research before you decide to get those extractions. This method may work for some, but it may not work for others. What if you get those extractions and you don't like the ending results of that either? Get as many opinions as possible! :thumbsup:

CinnamonSugar

#14 Post by CinnamonSugar »

I have the same problem as you but yours isn't that noticable! And your teeth looks perfect from the front. Do u plan still pulling some teeth to fix the top part?

bmueller

#15 Post by bmueller »

I think your teeth look AMAZING! If my teeth looked like yours I'd never stop smiling.

I hope you can find peace with the results because I'm totally jealous.