Uk Patients

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

miketaylor46

Uk Patients

#1 Post by miketaylor46 »

Hi I am 52 liveing in the UK had braces 5 weeks and will later have a Bimaxillary Osteotomy(double Jaw Surgery), is ther any one else in the UK who is waiting or had surgery i could corespond with

Thanks Mike

HelenUK

Re: Uk Patients

#2 Post by HelenUK »

Hi Mike,

I am in the UK too, had braces for 2.5 years and due to have double jaw surgery for an overbite next week. How are you getting on with your braces?

Helen

midnight

#3 Post by midnight »

I'm in the UK and due to have surgery at some point late this year/early next year (guess i'll get an exact date when I have my appointment at the joint clinic in a couple of months). Whereabouts in the UK will you be having surgery?

andyroo

#4 Post by andyroo »

Another UK citizen here! Who have you guys gone with for the surgery? Would you mind giving me a rough idea of cost please?

HelenUK

#5 Post by HelenUK »

My surgery will be in Sheffield, on the NHS so I don't know about private costs. I won't now be having surgery tomorrow as it was cancelled, so I'm waiting to find out a new date now.

andyroo

#6 Post by andyroo »

HelenUK wrote:My surgery will be in Sheffield, on the NHS so I don't know about private costs. I won't now be having surgery tomorrow as it was cancelled, so I'm waiting to find out a new date now.
Thanks, and thanks for your post in my thread

Beebop

#7 Post by Beebop »

Hi mike, I'm uk based, been in braces for 6 months and am waiting for double jaw surgery as well... It's a while off I think! Any questions shout :)

Andy, NHS should cover it proving it's a function issue you have?

andyroo

#8 Post by andyroo »

Beebop wrote:Hi mike, I'm uk based, been in braces for 6 months and am waiting for double jaw surgery as well... It's a while off I think! Any questions shout :)

I don't have any dramatic problems with it, just lots of little things like aching, clicking joints, lips don't meet so I often split my top lip when I sleep, symptoms of sleep apnoea (never seen myself actually sleeping but the pieces seem to fit!), low self esteem

My thread is here if you could offer your thoughts? http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 15&t=42931

Sorry for thread hijacking!

oimysizex

#9 Post by oimysizex »

HelenUK wrote:My surgery will be in Sheffield, on the NHS so I don't know about private costs. I won't now be having surgery tomorrow as it was cancelled, so I'm waiting to find out a new date now.
Oh sheffield, I am quite close to you, I'm having my surgery in manchester.
Do you think you'll be waiting long for another date?

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

oimysizex

#10 Post by oimysizex »

andyroo wrote:
Beebop wrote:Hi mike, I'm uk based, been in braces for 6 months and am waiting for double jaw surgery as well... It's a while off I think! Any questions shout :)

I don't have any dramatic problems with it, just lots of little things like aching, clicking joints, lips don't meet so I often split my top lip when I sleep, symptoms of sleep apnoea (never seen myself actually sleeping but the pieces seem to fit!), low self esteem

My thread is here if you could offer your thoughts? http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 15&t=42931

Sorry for thread hijacking!
Hello! I don't have any dramatic problems either, just the cracking and clicking and the aching... And I am getting it on the NHS so...

HelenUK

#11 Post by HelenUK »

oimysizex wrote:

yeah, i have a date now for 2nd october, so not long! when will yours be? do you have an overbite or underbite? x

oimysizex

#12 Post by oimysizex »

HelenUK wrote:
oimysizex wrote:

yeah, i have a date now for 2nd october, so not long! when will yours be? do you have an overbite or underbite? x

Hey Helen! no not long at all! are you nervous? excited?
I think mine will *probably* be around next Christmas time if not a bit long so a long way for me!!

Well, I technically have a crossbite, but have a class III skeletal pattern? My ortho/surgeon haven't been that helpful, but they do send lots of letters to my dentist on my treatment etc. If I stretch my jaw out forward it looks like i have an extreme underbite!

Do you have an under bite or over bite? Are you having any other sort of surgery combined with your jaw surgery? e.g. genioplasty?
xx

HelenUK

#13 Post by HelenUK »

Yeah just 3 weeks away now. I'm not really nervous yet - a little worried that it may get cancelled again but otherwise just waiting! I have an overbite and so i'll be having upper jaw moved up, forward and expanded, and lower jaw moved forward. No genio.

The letter from my surgeon says 'bi-maxillary osteotomy with inset and advance of the upper jaw and a midline split. The lower jaw to be advanced to best occlusion'

I'll have a splint in for the first week or so, and i'll be off work for 3-4 weeks.

Christmas will be here before you know it, I hope you don't get delayed for any reason though!

yorkslad

#14 Post by yorkslad »

Hi all

I've had a really negative experience with my local NHS.

I'm class 2, retruded jaw and have had camouflage treatment as a child leaving me with poor facial aesthetics.

Keeping it short and sweet, max-fax consultant said I needed a bi-max but the ortho consultant overruled him and discharged me.

Did you see a max-fax or ortho first?

Yorkslad

Corrinne

#15 Post by Corrinne »

Hi mike

I'm also having bi-max (as well as genio) on the NHS, I should be having mine this summer. Fingers crossed. Good luck with your journey! :)
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos