Hey guys, my new forum is open to the public today.www.jawsurgeryforums.com/
Some things I improved on:
1. More user control (you can edit/delete your own posts, share your surgery date on the public calendar, send private messages, create a buddy list, upload photos directly, change your avatar at will, etc.)
2. More user interaction (e.g. I feature the best surgery blog each month, have a +/- "karma" system for user responses, etc).
3. Better organization. If you're looking for overbite cases, you can simply look in the "overbite" forum for before and after photos. Also, all forum menus are collapsible, so if you don't use a certain forum you can minimize it.
4. Improved search function.
5. A surgeon review and lead forum--A huge problem for orthognatic surgeon patients is finding leads in their area. I'd ideally like to categorize these by State/City, but that might be difficult using a forum set up. We'll see how it goes, but at the very least there's a forum to write reviews of your surgeon and give others leads. And the information is all easy to find.
6. A forum dedicated to users uploading academic papers on orthognatic surgery. This is extremely important to me. Knowledge is power.
7. I could use help making the forum more aesthetic. If anyone knows how to code phpbb and stylesheets shoot me an email with your design ideas.
I think it's a much better platform. But who knows, maybe people are more comfortable here using what they're familiar with. I'll leave it up for a year and see how it goes.