Dental cleaning and braces - how does YOUR dentist do it?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kitsune

Dental cleaning and braces - how does YOUR dentist do it?

#1 Post by kitsune »

I am getting ready for my first dental cleaning since I got braced.

From what I've read on this forum, it seems like most people get their archwire removed before having a cleaning. My dental office called me earlier to schedule my cleaning, and informed me that I would not need to have my archwire removed. I also spoke with my orthodontist's office and they confirmed this as well. Additionally, they both stressed the importance of having my regularly scheduled cleaning (duh, I wasn't going to skip it...).

To my braced cohort: how does your dentist handle cleanings? Are there any disadvantages to having the cleaning done around the wire?

catgyrl

Re: Dental cleaning and braces - how does YOUR dentist do it

#2 Post by catgyrl »

My dental hygienist just cleans over, under and around all the paraphernalia that's in there (wires and brackets). She doesn't seem to have a problem with it. However, when I told her that my 2-year braces anniversary comes up in April... and I'm due for my next 6-month cleaning in March... she told me to just hold off on my cleaning until my braces are off, since it shouldn't be too much longer after March (cross fingers) that I get debraced.

I'm so jealous of those who get to have their wires taken out before cleanings. I really have no excuse, since my ortho is RIGHT...NEXT...DOOR to my dentist. But I know my ortho won't take the time to do that.

person111

#3 Post by person111 »

I have just gotten the cleaning with the wires in - everything is nice and clean after! I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

All of my cleanings have been done with the wire removed except one. The ladies cleaning my teeth always thank me for removing the wire, it is a lot easier for them.

Whether or not it makes a difference cleaning wise...not so sure. Although, the one time I didn't have the wire removed, it didn't feel as clean to me for some reason. Maybe you can ask them.

I have self litigating brackets so when the wires come out, the ortho girls will leave my gates open and use the air sprayer to get any food that is stuck out before they close them for the cleaning.

I try to schedule my cleanings for when I know we will be changing wires so it isn't a big deal to get the wire out. My ortho and dentist are a 3 minute drive away so it is convenient for me.

I really don't think it matters either way. The important thing is, getting your teeth cleaned. :D

denSMSgt

#5 Post by denSMSgt »

I've never had arch-wire removed for cleanings, though I'm sure it'd be easier, the techs never seem to mind.

New regular dentist this time though, I think I'll ask to see their thought.

luchababe

#6 Post by luchababe »

My hygienist does my cleaning with everything intact. She might tight off my bumpers this time but I could even do that myself before I get there.

It was suggested to me to go twice as often for cleanings since braces can attract and hold more plaque. So I go 4 times each year. 2 for cleaning, 2 for cleaning and a check up with the dentist. Totally worth it.

AM21

#7 Post by AM21 »

My hygenist just cleans around everything even though the wires are still in. I called the dentist office about a week before the cleaning just to double check about needing to remove the wire or not and they told me it wasn't necessary.
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

klobird

#8 Post by klobird »

My dentist has me get the archwires out--my ortho leaves the self ligating doors open also. The ortho has always acted like this was the normal procedure. I guess they're all different...

TinkB

#9 Post by TinkB »

I have my archwire removed for my cleanings. My dentist and ortho told me in the beginning to have my wire removed and have my cleanings every 3 months. It is kind of a hassle but I figure that it is only 2 years of my life I have to deal with this. It is nice to get a break from all of the stuff in my mouth and have the dental assistant floss with no wire in the way.
Metal brackets & 4 bands on May 12, 2011
4 Premolars Extracted on May 20, 2011
Fully braced on May 25, 2011
My sentence - 24 to 30 months

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39348

drgnchsr36

#10 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I don't have to have the archwires removed, but the hygienist thanked me extensively for having it done. I've had two appointments so far doing it.. sucks though, takes the entire day to go to the dentist/orthodontist.

Unfortunately, I can't get the archwires removed for next Monday's appointment, so I'll see how it goes or if they'll want me to reschedule...

TMJJill

#11 Post by TMJJill »

I just had my first dental check-up/cleaning since getting my braces on. Both my Dentist and Orthodontist said not to worry about the wire. They just cleaned around it.

It would be a bit of a pain for me to do the wire removal thing. It is a 45 minute drive to my ortho and it would be about 60 minutes back up to my dentist, another 60 back to the ortho and 45 minutes back home. It was difficult finding a good functional orthodontist who was trained in treating TMJD so I chose an orthodontist further away. My dentist is back the direction where I lived years ago and is a bit out of the way as well.

Of course, at the ortho's office, they showed me how to open my self-ligating brackets on my own when I was having the wire slip daily so I guess if I wanted to I could take it out myself. I'm not really tempted to do that though because I don't want to accidently mess anything up.

Really, my orthodontist said I'm taking such good care of my teeth on a daily basis that not much cleaning is even needed. I do know my dentist visit was short and sweet. I think the self-ligating seem to be much easier to keep clean as not as much food gets trapped in them.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

musiclady2340

#12 Post by musiclady2340 »

I get my teeth cleaned every three months and everything stays as is...
Periodically when I am at the orth they remove the wires and have me brush. :D

georgelander181

#13 Post by georgelander181 »

I had my RCT done a month ago; my tooth was really in bad condition on that time. I want to know if it’s okay to put braces now after one month of treatment by dentist Torrance. Any place cheaper for brace fitting in Torrance. I am going there in a week.

vegathestar

#14 Post by vegathestar »

What? You guys have orthodontists/dentists doing the cleaning FREE OF CHARGE for you? Damn. My braces have been in for 7 months and no one told me i'm supposed to go to the dentist to have it clean regularly. And my orthodontist would never do it free of charge either. That money-grubber!

TMJJill

#15 Post by TMJJill »

I'm right with you. I don't get my teeth cleaned free either. It's off to my dentist every 6 months like normal.

When they remove the wire at my orthodontist, I do my own brushing and flossing. :mrgreen:

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!