OK--This was not the plan!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lau

Re: OK--This was not the plan!

#316 Post by lau »

klobird wrote: The elastics hook is completely gone--missing--AWOL!! :yikes: :shock: It came right out of the bracket! I had to have swallowed it :yuck: , and it's probably inside me cutting up all my organs...I'll probably die in my sleep tonight!
Klobird, you are HILARIOUS! :-) I have a pokey too, i dont know how to do the eraser thing. i tried and the wire got stuck to the eraser & some of it crumbled in my mouth :FeelSick: and its still poking so i am going to have the ortho clip it on Monday
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

Jano

#317 Post by Jano »

.Great to see you bounce back from that setback Kbird.. well done you .. my ortho is going in for KNEE replacement surgery next week , so at my check up yesterday it was me saying things like " you'll be fine ..its worth it .. a bit of pain initially and then you will get used to it " . There's a switch for you . I guess I feel comfortable saying things like that as we are the same age . Had my first set of rings put on and first adjustment which felt a bit weird but ok .Concentrating on xmas now as its getting close. THe extended family gets to see their ageing aunt/cousin /sister in her braces . Expect to cop some good natured ribbing about it .I am even thinking of putting on some thing sparkly on the front teeth brackets e.g. coloured tinsel with a bit of wax just to show them all I am braced and proud of it posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=39182# :-)

klobird

#318 Post by klobird »

Lau!! You're not supposed to put the pokey IN the eraser--you push the side of the pokey with the eraser!! :crazy:
Oh, you newbies!! You're sooo cute!! Oh ya, hmmmm, I'm the one who swallowed the hook :oops: :oops: :oops:

Jano--You got a ticker!! Yay!!! Now who goes out and has knee surgery right before Christmas, I ask you?!
Oh ya, me...I got out of the hospital from knee surgery on Dec 23 one year...The holidays were a big drag that year...

Ok, well I have pizza waiting-- :yikes: :soremouth: I don't see what the big deal about pizza is with all of the orthos anyway....I think it's good, so I'm gonna have me some!!

klobird

#319 Post by klobird »

So, I have an adjustment coming up 2 weeks from today--the 16th--and I'm starting to stress about it.

When I first got braces, it wasn't as bad as the adjustments. I take my vacation time off from work after the adjustments. They really,really hurt...and the ansaids--Ibuprofen, Aleve--all of them--I've tried--they work but they hit my stomach like a bomb within about an hour of taking them...

He showed me exactly where he wants my teeth to be on the left side, so like my right side, the left will be a perfect bite.
Not really happening at all....

He put 2 extra strength elastics (one overlapping the other )on the left and and he put those elastics on a new hook he put directly on the archwire....well, if he wants to put more extra strength elastics on that side, they won't fit on that hook that's in use, and I swallowed the other elastics hook (hehehe :twisted: ... :yikes:). And then the other elastics hook on the left on the bottom that isn't in use right now, is bent all out of shape and unusable the way it is. So, I can only imagine what torture device he will try next...probably ten extra hooks--each one with an extra strength elastic (sort of like Catgyrl-- :BigGrin: ).

I have read that moving teeth in a younger person is like moving teeth thru jello, and that moving teeth in an older person,like me-duh, is like moving teeth thru cement. EXACTLY!!! It really,really hurts like hell.....so ya, not looking forward to it...

Still--whatever it takes--I can whine, but in the end my teeth are going to shine!!! So I guess I will grin and bear it.... :cry:

Stay tuned--more whining to come....

Jano

#320 Post by Jano »

hi klobird :D , re moving teeth in us oldies . lets just hope that orthodontists are professional enough not to install them in the first place if they are not going to work. maybe it will just take a bit more time than youngies. Slow and steady wins the race perhaps ? I have read that eating something really cold after an adjustment helps because the wire pressure is triggered by the heat in our mouths . Havent tested it though as I have only had 1 minor adjustment so far .I had a bracket pop off in the break and a wire sticking in to what feels like my temporal mandibular joint but I assume thats not possible . Ortho only opened today after the break and my appt is tomorrrow morning . Its a roller coaster ride isnt it ?
cheers
Jano

klobird

#321 Post by klobird »

AAHHHH yes---the archwire sticking in one side of your cheek and out the other--I remember it well....actually when they start putting the strong wires in, they don't flip and flop so much, so the happy archwire dance really subsides. I much prefer the stronger wires...

That being said--hey wait a minute--as far as the wires go--I think I'm in my last one! Now I think they just make bends in it to adjust from now on. Something like that--oh who the hell knows....I'm sure he will think of some other kind of sh*t
to throw in my mouth...

Eating something cold---hmmm--how totally clever is that---ice cream, ice cold water, popsicles here I come--outwit, outsmart, outplay those d*mn orthos I say!!!!

EbonyQ

#322 Post by EbonyQ »

That is true. When you’re between 22 and 24 your jaw starts to harden for real, I think this is why it’s more painful for adults to get braces than young ones. I’m 22 so I’m my jaw have started, or will very soon, start to harden :yikes:

Keep your mind on your goal Klobird, you’re almost half way! Take a look on your pictures before you got braces and now, you can see the changes, right? I can defiantly see changes! :thumbsup: :HugeGrin:

hugs

[/url]

all48

#323 Post by all48 »

I am very new to braces, only being in them for exactly one week today. My orthodontist called the following day to check on how I was doing. I told him I was pleasantly surprised I had very little discomfort so far. He said oftentimes adults tolerate orthodontia better than children. I asked how soon I could expect to see any movement in my teeth and he estimated about 3 weeks out I may notice some change. I'm anxious for that. My estimated treatment time is 12-14 months.

klobird

#324 Post by klobird »

Hey All48--Welcome!! Your time in braces is relatively short. I've got more time left than you will even be in braces!
It's just getting used to everything that takes time...pretty soon they just get kind of boring-except for the adjustments.
Even though those can be uncomfortable, it's exciting to see what the ortho will do, and what the next changes will be. I love the changes I have seen so far---worth every penny and every minute of discomfort!!! (I still reserve the right to whine though...)

klobird

#325 Post by klobird »

Well tomorrow morning I have another adjustment--only my 4th in over 8 months....

My bite hasn't improved at all on the left side according to where he told me certain teeth needed to be. I'm a little anxious to see what the next step will be. Also, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to end up with power chains--I've got some gaps. A gap, unless it's between my 2 front teeth, or is massive, doesn't really bother me though. But,I haven't had the power chains yet--so I'm a little anxious about that too. Most people say it's not bad...

I've been on vacation since last Tuesday, and don't go back to work until this coming Thursday. It's been a pretty laid back vacation, visiting with friends, went to a wedding, lots of shopping etc...soooo, I am going to write more after my appt. tomorrow..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

EbonyQ

#326 Post by EbonyQ »

Good luck klobird! :thumbsup: :mrgreen: :heart: :heart:

[/url]

klobird

#327 Post by klobird »

Thanks Eb!---It's good to know we're all in this together!!! :wink: :heart:

I'm having a crunchy breakfast this morning--then it's bring on the eggs!!

VancouverJude

#328 Post by VancouverJude »

Hey K,

As far as being apprehensive about power chains don't sweat it. The extra pressure it exerts really is hardly noticeable in the scheme of things. They are just a fancy lig with a quite macho name. Power. Chain. Hear. Me. Roar. They are a bit more noticeable then regular ligs, of course, they remind me of a super hero mask.

I've just come back to the above paragraph after writing the rest of this message. Actually, as I seem to recall, the first few days of wearing a powerchain are kind of painful, but it passes fast enough.

And the gaps? They're gonna be around for months and months and months so don't sweat them. I know it's hard not to.

I had an "emergency" visit to my ortho earlier this month as I was getting freaked out over two things: 1) the fact my bottom tooth has been noticeably rotating (this is the tooth at the base of where the Forsus is) and I had read this is a concern for Forsus wearers.) 2) My bite on the right side is pretty much nonexistent.

The ortho confirmed that yes indeed, my tooth had rotated and that within three weeks (down the road) it will come back to place. He assured me the bite will come. The moment the Forsus comes off I'm going to be in elastics (my turn to be scared!) and everything will be worked out in time. Patience and trust (my words not his.) One reason my bite is so off, I believe, is that they've been adding these wee metal "expanders" to the Forsus with each visit. These put more constant, yet subtle pressure on the jaw/teeth and, I think (?) make it hard for me to fully close/bite on the right side.

My next visit isn't until the 31st but since I was there he gave me the once over. He's very pleased and reminded me our original intent was to move the right side up 2.5 teeth and that we only have .5 a tooth width left. I see definite changes for sure. My jawline has changed for the better. My midline is pretty much even. My bite is better on my left (good) side and my smile seems more even, but yeah the bite is just going to take more time.

Good luck. As always looking forward to hearing how your visit went.

klobird

#329 Post by klobird »

OMG!! I just finished an entire post about my ortho visit and pressed the wrong button and lost it!! OK, I am going to get something to eat, and come back to do it all over!!!!

EbonyQ

#330 Post by EbonyQ »

awww :( I have been waiting for this post!

[/url]