essix retainer side effect...??

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ranita

essix retainer side effect...??

#1 Post by ranita »

hi.. everyone..
do u have health complaint after wear retainer ? especially essix retainer that made from plastic...
do essix retainer contain phthalate?
as we know.. Phthalates, or phthalate esters, are esters of phthalic acid and are mainly used as plasticizers (substances added to plastics to increase their flexibility, transparency, durability, and longevity).
Phthalates is a xenoestrogen.. it's not good for our health.. especially for our endocrine system/ hormone disturbing..
xenoestrogen have many negative effect for men and women.. such as: infertility both men and women, breast cancer, ovarian cancer in women in longterm, alergy, decrease our health resistance.. :(

bbsadmin

Re: essix retainer side effect...??

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

There has been a huge thread on here about it.

Please read this blog post:

http://dentakit.blogspot.com/2011/02/do ... astic.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

ranita

Re: essix retainer side effect...??

#3 Post by ranita »

hi..
i've read the blogpost..
almost those theads talking about invisialign.. not essix retainer..
accroding : orthodonticmaterial. u can see link here: retainerinsider blogspot com
material chemical in essix retainer contain phthalates (xenoestrogen). "Among these
chemicals may well be the retainers softened with phthalates,
the aligners or the adhesives prone to hydrolyze freeing bis
phenol A (Bis GMA and the polycarbonates),etc."
accroding wikipedia phthalates=xenoestrogen..
xenoestrogen can not be remove with cleansing or germ killer, because it is not bacteria or germ.. it is hormone..
btw, i always keep my retainer clean.. i clean it with beepropolis (the best natural germ/bacteria killer)