Black Triangles After Braces/Gum Recession

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

confusedperson11

Black Triangles After Braces/Gum Recession

#1 Post by confusedperson11 »

So my upper teeth used to be very nice, bottom very crowded. They said that the upper needed it to fix the bite, I had an overbite. After my braces got off I had large black triangles in the bottom space and a black triangle between my two front teeth, it has got a little large but not much, and my bottom teeth have receeded quite a bite. It has been 3 years since I got them off. I have faithfully been wearing my retainer.

I am wondering if I let me upper teeth go back to their normal positions by not wearing the retainer, then the black triangle will go away?

It's really a large annoyance and I'm pretty sure I would try just about anything at this point, very depressing although I'm trying to be positive about it.

Thanks,
confusedperson11

confusedperson11

Re: Black Triangles After Braces/Gum Recession

#2 Post by confusedperson11 »

Also, would IPR be an option, would I have to get braces again, and would anyone have any idea how long it would take?

I plan on seeing a dentist/perio when I get back from University in a couple months, but for now I thought I would come here to ask.

nifer237

#3 Post by nifer237 »

I too have gum recession on my front 4 teeth and the reason my ortho is only recommending I get one tooth pulled instead of 2 is to prevent the reason you are talking about. My teeth are much more narrow at the top (triangle shaped) and he's concerned that pulling too many teeth will create black holes once my braces are off. So I'm nervous about that as well, keep us updated on your appointment and how it goes.

BraceFace2o1o

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I have heard of people having IPR to correct black triangles, but I should imagine you would need some form of brace to close the gaps or can a retainer do that?

I've also read many times about people having bonding done to conceal the gaps/black triangles.

My lower gums receded before I had braces, and after a really good clean I had 2 black triangles between the front lower teeth and another between my right central incisor and right lateral incisor, I hate them... they look horrid to me and I am dreading them looking/getting worse after braces (to me, being in lower braces only 4 weeks, I already feel they look worse). When I am near end of treatment I will ask my Ortho what my options are, if bonding is my only option then I may just have to get that done.

I also have a slight black triangle forming on my top teeth (because of braces) between my left cental incisor and my left lateral, I'm hoping once they are straight it will disappear... fingers crossed!
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Do not stop wearing your retainer. There is no guarantee letting your teeth relapse will fix your triangles and could very well cause other problems. I think IPR is mainly used when you still have braces on your teeth. Bonding is going be your best bet. It's easy and something your regular dentist can probably do for you. Ask at your next cleaning.

confusedperson11

#6 Post by confusedperson11 »

Thanks for the responses everyone. Would you guys recommend bonder or veneers? Is veneers better if I can afford it? Do both bonding and veneers take off part of the tooth on the front and are irreversible?

musiclady2340

#7 Post by musiclady2340 »

I also wondered what the benefits of veneers or bonding would be?

TumbleDryLow

#8 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I think there are 2 different kinds of veneers--Porcelain and Composite. The Porcelain veneers require a significant amount of enamel to be removed from your teeth. That's irreversible--you are stuck with the veneers for life. Not sure what is done to the tooth with Composite, but I have heard that Composite veneers tend to stain and degrade pretty easily. Both will need maintenance. I've heard they can last "up to" 10 years so that leads me to believe they usually need maintenance sooner. You will need to consider your veneers an on-going expense for life.
Given all of that, I'd personally look into bonding first. If it works in your situation, it will be a lot less traumatic to the teeth. Yes, the bonding will also need to be replaced from time to time, but I'm guessing the expense would be quite less.

confusedperson11

#9 Post by confusedperson11 »

Does bonding get rid of the enamel at all?

TumbleDryLow

#10 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I only know people who have had bonding done to fix a chip. No, their tooth was not ground down at all. I would imagine that to fix a gap the same process would apply.

confusedperson11

#11 Post by confusedperson11 »

Does anyone know if all bonding materials contains BPA?

jakesmom

#12 Post by jakesmom »

I have been warned that I may have triangles when the braces come off. But isn't there a surgery that can move the gums in to fill in that space?

confusedperson11

#13 Post by confusedperson11 »

If you are referring to Gingival Gum Graft surgery, then yes but I am not sure it can be used to fill black triangles in all cases? I also have read that it is costly, painful, and has a low success rate over the long term. My knowledge is somewhat limited though.

UGHBRACES

#14 Post by UGHBRACES »

Bonding is the same thing as a filling. We usually think of fillings to fill a cavity, but in the case its use would be to fill a gap. They use a tooth coloured composite material. I would personally go with bonding over veneers to save the money. Veneers are supposed to be more durable but in that position on the tooth I don't think durability will be a big issue.

confusedperson11

#15 Post by confusedperson11 »

Would veneers be less maintenance, would one look better than the other most likely, more real? And wouldn't veneers chip less likely? On the other hand bonding can be removed so that is a major plus.