Soft foods post-surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NorthBayWired

2000 calories a day?

#46 Post by NorthBayWired »

Headed for double jaw surgery next week. They told me to take in 2000 calories a day but I'll be wired tight. Also they said to be careful of using the zip & squeeze to make sure the tube doesn't hit the incisions. Anybody have any luck on 2000 calories?

SuperJet

#47 Post by SuperJet »

Ok I havent seen anyone post about Spaghetti so I will.

get the leanest meat you can, and grind it up in small pieces as you brown it.
Prego sauce
Angle hair pasta.

cut it up in small pcs and it goes down well. I ate mine with a baby spoon.
Braces since May of 07
Lower Jaw advancement Surgery Oct 1!!

jul

soft foods

#48 Post by jul »

I'm 4 weeks post op - and the weather is getting cooler here. I made chilli for my family last night and put some in the blender for me it was great! I also made a black bean soup last week. It was good too.

projo198

#49 Post by projo198 »

The doc has given me fewer bands allowing my mouth to open for soft foods, but to be honest it's no tthat big of a gap and I have found it a wasste of time to try to use a spoon.

I mainly eat soup, but have discovered that adding baby cereal (rice or grain) thickens it up a bit and makes it much more filling.

Give it a shot!

ORTHO12

Yoghurt

#50 Post by ORTHO12 »

I was on yoghurt and mash potato day in day out after trying my mums home cooked meals which she then blended I couldn't take it anymore!! It smelt right but didn't look right :)

cocomecrazy

#51 Post by cocomecrazy »

If you get your surgery at Kaiser Oakland, CA they will give you a cookbook ;D

ColoradoGirl

#52 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Halloween candy shakes! Put a whole bunch of leftover chocalatey candies in the blender, with just enough milk to cover them. Voila! So far, I've done Reese's PB cups and Snickers...my eye's on the Butterfinger next. Of course, this could also be done with candy bars.

BracketRacket

Re: Soft foods post-surgery

#53 Post by BracketRacket »

Cotton candy was a welcome (and sooo easy!) treat. Just make sure you rinse afterwards, it does have a lot of sugar.

Bullfighter

#54 Post by Bullfighter »

I'm probably the least creative kitchen-user on the board, but the core "foods" that I kept going back to:

"Pepper Upper" shakes with 1 cup vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup vanilla Ensure, 1 cup Dr. Pepper soda
Yogurt, being careful to buy the flavors without chunks of stuff in them: Yoplait creamy French Vanilla, Key Lime, Lemon Burst were best IMHO
Tomato basil soup (after the first few days) -- Healthy Choice in the US makes a nice microwaveable bowl with two servings, about 240 calories
Egg salad (after the second week) -- huge protein, requires almost no chewing

tina

#55 Post by tina »

I am due to go in for upper jaw surgery in 3 weeks time and after that I have the joy of 6 to 12 months with braces before I then get lower surgery. I am not worried about losing weight, I have enough to spare, but would love some really tasty, healthy options of food I will be able to eat. I am not a very big soup eater and tofu does not appeal. Does anyone have some suggestions? :|

gettingbraces44

#56 Post by gettingbraces44 »

I just went through SARPE surgery and now, 3 days later I have this really bad sore throat. Everything else went well, and I don't really have any real pains besides some minor headaches. I've been taking antibiotics but it still isn't going away. I don't know what to eat, or if I should even eat anything. I've been on soft foods like yogurt and ice cream so far. Anything I should do for this sore throat to go away much sooner? Should I just stop eating for like a day or two until it goes away? lol

w0nnie

#57 Post by w0nnie »

I had BSSO and genio 8 days ago, here are two recipes i combined that enabled me to eat a full meal with everyone else at the table at night 7

herb crusted salmon (this flakes away when baked so it does not require chewing)
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9113/he ... ted+salmon

Gratin dauphinois (essentially a fancy potato bake but very creamy and with nice soft potato)
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/12821 ... earch/true

gettingbraces44

#58 Post by gettingbraces44 »

Has anyone tried seedless watermelon/grapes? Do you guys think that's manageable after the first two weeks?

w0nnie

#59 Post by w0nnie »

gettingbraces44 wrote:Has anyone tried seedless watermelon/grapes? Do you guys think that's manageable after the first two weeks?
Cut small enough, watermelon should be ok, but the grapes sound difficult to get down without biting them (if you are on a no chew diet that is)

gettingbraces44

#60 Post by gettingbraces44 »

w0nnie wrote:
gettingbraces44 wrote:Has anyone tried seedless watermelon/grapes? Do you guys think that's manageable after the first two weeks?
Cut small enough, watermelon should be ok, but the grapes sound difficult to get down without biting them (if you are on a no chew diet that is)
Thanks. I'll give it a try.