Bracket came off my tooth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

slightlycrooked

Bracket came off my tooth

#1 Post by slightlycrooked »

I got my braces on thursday last week and the day after i got them, one of my bottom brackets came off...
The otho is bookd out for a week and i'm unsure about what to do.
Will this effect my treatment adversely?

This is one of my youtube vids. in it you can see what im on about if im not explaining it properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWMQ0-NCsvM

Snowglobe32

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Did you call the office and tell them you have a broken bracket? If so, at that time, did they tell you they were booked for the week? I ask because usually a broken bracket is considered an emergency.

bracedup

#3 Post by bracedup »

No this wont affect your treatment, it happened to me every second week in the beginning. The only problem is the annoyance of a broken bracket. Use wax to stabelize the bracket until your appointment. This a common problem with moving teeth, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do really about it. Good luck you will be fine.

bb2811

#4 Post by bb2811 »

Hi - if you let your ortho know and they said to wait for the week they musn't think it will affect your treatment adversly. I gad to get a bracket off to get a filling, and they left it off for a week. It must be annoying though - try lots of wax!

VA5

#5 Post by VA5 »

This early on is not going to set you back much, b/c you haven't made any progression yet, probably. However, if you're well into treatment and it breaks off, it's best to get it put back on right away, b/c if not then any backward movement of the teeth, will have to be reset and sometimes they need to use a weaker wire to do that, so you'll be set back a few weeks at least. I know b/c it's happened to me.

sadpanda

#6 Post by sadpanda »

It shouldn't really affect your treatment time, especially since it's in the beginning. I had a wire pop out and when I went in to the ortho to get it fixed, he said it wouldn't really delay anything either.

Lynette

#7 Post by Lynette »

I had 2 brackets fall off at the start of treatment. One of them was on my back molar and I swallowed it :?

The best thing to do is call your orthodontist and they will usually schedule you in as soon as they can. If they can't get you in for a while, ask if they can schedule you in if anyone cancels in the meantime.

In the meantime, it can be pretty uncomfortable with a loose bracket. The best thing you can do is try to keep it in place with a bit of wax.

Don't worry, even though it has come loose from the tooth It won't fall off the wire :)

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

femmebot2277

#8 Post by femmebot2277 »

Hello, I don't think it will be an issue to leave it off for a week. When I first got my braces on the ortho assistant told me not to worry if one or two of them fall off between adjustments, just to make sure I saved it and brought it in next time. I am very lucky that my ortho will fit me in with very little notice. I just have to call first thing in the morning and usually they tell me to that I can stop in within 10 minutes or so.