Nose Changes, moving upper jaw up?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hellooperator

Nose Changes, moving upper jaw up?

#1 Post by hellooperator »

What kind of changes if any, happens to the nose when you have your upper jaw moved up and / or backwards? Personal experiences, etc, is real appreciated. Thank you.

MetalMedic

Re: Nose Changes, moving upper jaw up?

#2 Post by MetalMedic »

hellooperator wrote:What kind of changes if any, happens to the nose when you have your upper jaw moved up and / or backwards? Personal experiences, etc, is real appreciated. Thank you.
I didnt have my upper jaw moved back, but I did just have it moved up. So this is what happened.

The very tip of my nose curved upward EVER so slightly. Barely noticeable, but it looks good. Adds a little shape to my nose and adds an extra dimension to it. My nares were a little narrow, so when nose got pushed up, it flared out my nostrils very slightly, which is helping me breathe much better. Another thing they did was was trimmed the cartridge of my septum to avoid it from bending to the side. Apparently there wasn't enough taken so they need to trim a little more off a few days. Just a simple office visit. Hope this helps!!

Le fort 1 impaction 6mm, BSSO 6mm advance, Genioplasty

acspock

#3 Post by acspock »

MetalMedic wrote:
hellooperator wrote:What kind of changes if any, happens to the nose when you have your upper jaw moved up and / or backwards? Personal experiences, etc, is real appreciated. Thank you.
I didnt have my upper jaw moved back, but I did just have it moved up. So this is what happened.

The very tip of my nose curved upward EVER so slightly. Barely noticeable, but it looks good. Adds a little shape to my nose and adds an extra dimension to it. My nares were a little narrow, so when nose got pushed up, it flared out my nostrils very slightly, which is helping me breathe much better. Another thing they did was was trimmed the cartridge of my septum to avoid it from bending to the side. Apparently there wasn't enough taken so they need to trim a little more off a few days. Just a simple office visit. Hope this helps!!
interesting. Is it common for maxillofacial or jaw surgeons to correct the nose similar to that of a rhinoplasty surgeon?

charlsie142

#4 Post by charlsie142 »

acspock- the nose naturally changes shape with upper jaw surgery due to the changes in the bone that is under the nose and the airways opening up wider. Many surgeons try to minimize the widening of the nostrils that is also common by using stitches to prevent this from happening. My surgeon also fixed my deviated septum during surgery since it is right there within access and it was part of the problem that I needed jaw surgery. I do believe septoplasty and turbinectomy are pretty common during jaw surgery.

Many surgeons are able to do plastic surgeries like a nose job, but you would have to pay for this as a rhinoplasty and not part of orthognathic surgery. I'm sure someone here has undergone both at the same time--if someone doesn't chime in you might try the search function.

I do remember people telling others that asked about nose jobs during jaw surgery were recommended to wait because you may be satisfied with the changes that jaw surgery can give you and not even need the surgery in the long run.

Hope this helps!
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

VikingGirl

#5 Post by VikingGirl »

charlsie142 My surgeon said that their was different things to be done to prevent my already tipped nose to turn even more "miss Piggy". Next time I go to the hospital for my pre ops I'll ask what the names of the things he did are. My surgery was paid through our medical system, so maybe I'm lucky?

charlsie142

#6 Post by charlsie142 »

VikingGirl- my surgeon did the same thing for me...I had an already up-turned nose before surgery, and my surgeon put really large stitches underneath my nose to prevent the nostrils from widening as well as my nose turning up too much. I didn't pay extra for this, or my septoplasty. My response was to the person asking if these changes were similar to a rhinoplasty, which the changes you and I had are not... sorry for the confusion! :)
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

VikingGirl

#7 Post by VikingGirl »

charlsie142 wrote:VikingGirl- my surgeon did the same thing for me...I had an already up-turned nose before surgery, and my surgeon put really large stitches underneath my nose to prevent the nostrils from widening as well as my nose turning up too much. I didn't pay extra for this, or my septoplasty. My response was to the person asking if these changes were similar to a rhinoplasty, which the changes you and I had are not... sorry for the confusion! :)
Haha, whoops! :)

acspock

#8 Post by acspock »

thanks guys!

I was inquiring because I will definitely be getting upper jaw surgery and possibly lower (depending how the braces affect my lower teeth) to fix my underbite. However, my upper jaw will be moved up and forward and my nose is what you would call a beak nose? except it's not as dramatic as it sounds, it's more like a subtle bend at the hump. I think it actually goes well with my goofy looking underbite bbbut I feel that once my underbite is fixed my jaw will be in proportion however I am uncertain about the appearance of my nose.

However I have yet to discuss this with my surgeon (which I will since I only just got my new damon braces on!). I was just curious to what yall had to say :)

Zohreh

#9 Post by Zohreh »

If surgeon want just move upper jaw up, for gunmy smile and long face syndrome, change nose tip?!!!???!?!

Elizabethrose1279

#10 Post by Elizabethrose1279 »

My upper jaw was impacted 3 mm and advanced 3 mm and I was surprised how much my nose changed with such small movements. The tip of my nose turns up a bit now and overall my nose looks quite a bit smaller. I've been pleased with the changes at 4 weeks post op but I was also surprised as my surgeon said they were small enough movements that my nose wouldn't change a lot. He also used the alar stitch to limit the anount of widening in my nose

Braces20142017

#11 Post by Braces20142017 »

I had double jaw surgery, and one of my biggest fear was my nose getting too wide!
But I'm now 3 month postop, and I love it.
It's a little tiny bit wider but it goes well with the proportions of my face now.
It looks sharper and the tip tilts up just a little!
I have to say, it makes my overall face look more feminine!
But its amazing how just a small change can make it look better!