Urinary catheter? Does it hurt???

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

marycotter5678

Urinary catheter? Does it hurt???

#1 Post by marycotter5678 »

I found out that I will have a urinary catheter put in. I think they will be putting it in while I'm already under anesthesia, but they told me that it will stay in after surgery. And when they remove it I will be awake and aware -- does it hurt when they take it out? Are there complications from this? And is it possible for me to object to them doing this to me or is it necessary?

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

asmileconnectsus

#2 Post by asmileconnectsus »

I had to have one done too. I was asleep when they put it in, and a nurse took it out the next day. I was too doped up on morphine to care, and it just felt awkward, but there wasn't any pain for me. One of the requirements for me to go home was to be able to drink enough fluids to pee on my own, so I was happy when they took the catheter out

#3 Post by Karma »

I wasn't aware I was getting a catheter until I woke up and they told me they had put one in. I was not allowed to get out of bed for the first 2 days in the hospital so it wasn't an option for me. It didn't bother me at all, and didn't hurt when they took it out.

cvn

#4 Post by cvn »

I won't lie, I loved not having to pee on my own. I probably shouldn't admit to that lol

In any case, catheters don't hurt and you'll be feeling like such butt from the anesthesia that you'll be grateful that you don't have to get up and walk to the loo. The nurses will have seen things much more horrible than a catheter in their days, so don't worry about what they think because they've seen way worse, guaranteed.

ceanna

#5 Post by ceanna »

They put in the catheter when I was already under anasthesia. The day after surgery, the nurse said that she was taking it out, and when she did I didn't feel a thing. I was like, is it out? And she said it was. She said that putting it in is more uncomfortable than taking it out, but thankfully I wasn't unaware at the time.

ceanna

#6 Post by ceanna »

* wasn't aware at the time.

marycotter5678

#7 Post by marycotter5678 »

They just told me that I will definetly have a foley catheter, put in while I'm already asleep and taken out the next morning or whenever I'm ready to be 'up and about'. I read that there are risks of infection from the catheter, etc and I just really don't like the idea of this --- do you think there is any way I can object to this? Can't I just use a bed pan instead?

I don't want to sound like a whiny, annoying patient complaining about somethign that doesn't even have to do with my jaw but I don't want this done to me if it can be avoided....

Audra

#8 Post by Audra »

You also need to keep in mind they are going to be pumping you full of fluids while you are on the operating table. I was in the OR for 5.5 hours and in recover for 3.5. That fluid has to go somewhere......

I have woken with a catheter after every single operation I've ever had (and I've had a few) and I have never had an infection because of one. The risk of infection goes up if it's left in for a long time, which in your case, it won't. I think this is one of those things that you probably should just accept.

OhioM

#9 Post by OhioM »

Hi! I declined the catheter, b/c I was TOO embarrassed to have one put in in front of my surgeon, even if I would have already been asleep. My surgery was only 3 hours, and he didn't think it was necessary anyway - think of how often you pee - most people can go way more than 3 hours if necessary. HOWEVER, b/c of the general anesthesia, my bladder would not kick in and about 8 hours after the surgery, I had to have a foley cath put in by a male nurse, no less, while I was AWAKE! I don't recommend this. It didn't really hurt, but you know, it just added to the misery of my hospital stay. You don't feel it being removed at all in my experience - I've had them before for childbirth, and it's no big deal getting them taken out. It takes like 2 seconds. Good luck!
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

marycotter5678

#10 Post by marycotter5678 »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I will just have to deal with it.

OhioM, I am sorry for your experience but thank you so much for sharing so that perhaps other people don't make the same mistake!

qwertz1

#11 Post by qwertz1 »

why don't you ask your surgeon to take it out before you wake up?
this is routinely done where I'll have my surgery.
you don't need it once you're awake.

marycotter5678

#12 Post by marycotter5678 »

I already asked and he says they prefer to leave it in till next morning so I left it at that.

sgguy

#13 Post by sgguy »

i specifically reminded them to remove it (if needed) before i wake up.. i didn't ask if they actually had one put in during surgery. i also did double jaw op.

MetalMedic

#14 Post by MetalMedic »

In most cases a urinary catheter is REQUIRED without exception due to the fact that the majority of orthognathic surgeries are done under what is called Hypotensive Surgery in order to reduce blood loss, which can be significant. This means the Anesthesiologist will drop your blood pressure to a level that it would normally never be while you are awake. The procedure is very safe, but only if safeguards are in place, like for example, a urinary catheter.

You may ask, why? Simple actually.....

Your kidneys are your MAIN blood pressure regulating organs in your body (long term), so they are very sensitive to any kind of change in it. If your blood pressure goes too low, your kidneys don't get enough blood flow, and could potentially go into failure. To monitor that your kidneys are getting enough blood flowing through them, urinary output is CONSTANTLY monitored to make sure they are working 100%. If you're not producing enough urine, your blood pressure will be adjusted accordingly. While you're in surgery, they will be giving you IV fluid. So what goes in, has to come out so they know how efficient they're working.

So my personal opinion; I think it would be better to be safe and deal with the very short term inconvenience of a catheter than opting out. I don't think a good surgeon would do hypotensive surgery without it anyway. Besides, if you're going to deal with the difficult recovery of ortho surgery, is a catheter you have to have in for 1 or 2 days max really ALL that bad? ;-)

Le fort 1 impaction 6mm, BSSO 6mm advance, Genioplasty