Got my braces....one issue

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashesgap

Got my braces....one issue

#1 Post by ashesgap »

So i got my braces yesterday, and am not having much pain at all. I actually ate two really big plates of Macaroni Spaghetti...but i have a small over bite and all last night in my sleep i kept bumping my top front tooth on one of the bottom front teeth. It felt like i was pushing off the bracket, which kind of hurt. So should i get a mouth guard or something? Its the only pain i'm having, so i'd like to find a way to fix it while i'm in the first few days of this. Any help?
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

DrBlur

#2 Post by DrBlur »

Can you wear a mouthguard with braces? I have had a nightguard for sleeping the last 5 years (I clench when I sleep) and my orthodontist told me I won't be able to wear it once I get my braces.

Let us know how you solve this!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Steph in Sac

#3 Post by Steph in Sac »

Is it bumping your tooth or your bracket? If it's your bracket, maybe it's set up too high on your bottom tooth and the ortho can move it down...?

pearls

#4 Post by pearls »

You could bring this up with your ortho. I had a deep bite, so when I was braced my ortho put things called molar build ups on my bottom molars which had the molar band on it. It was pretty much a lump of blue hard stuff stuck on my teeth to prevent my front top teeth crashing into my bottom brackets at the front. But due to the speed of orthodonitics, these were only on for a few weeks before my teeth were in a position where my top teeth wouldn't bump my bottom brackets.
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

Its bumping the bracket. I checked in the mirror while brushing and he has them down as far as they can be. I'll call him later and see what he says. He asked me yesterday not to bite down all the way for 24 hours, so i didn't knock the bracket off...i couldn't even if i wanted to. I swear in my sleep i thought my tooth was gonna be pulled off.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

HeatherJ

#6 Post by HeatherJ »

I am having the same problem. When I got my braces last month, the only point of contact I felt when biting down was where one top incisor hit the bracket below it. After a couple days, my teeth moved around just enough that I did not notice it quite so much. Meanwhile, I tried not to bite down fully, but probably did so in my sleep. So, sure enough, that lower bracket came off three days later. The ortho glued the lower bracket back on the same week, but it came off again a day later (aargh!). Tomorrow morning I go back and hope third time's a charm.

After doing a bit of research on this board and other websites, I believe potential causes include: (i) the tooth was not thoroughly clean/dry before the bracket was attached, (ii) too little etchant/cement was used, and/or (iii) too much tension was exerted on the archwire by a neighboring tooth, which can happen if the neighboring tooth is too far outside the dental arch (true in my case).

Depending on your case, the ortho could (a) use molar build ups (as suggested above); (b) install bite turbos, which look like brackets attached to the _back_ of the front incisors and which come in contact with your lower incisors before your upper incisors can hit your lower brackets, thus preventing you from biting down completely; or (c) leave off that bracket until the neighboring teeth are better positioned. I am far from being an expert, so maybe you will have a different solution.

Good luck, and don't get too frustrated.

jambo532

ouch

#7 Post by jambo532 »

So I am having that problem a little too. I have always been a grinder/clencher at night. My ortho said that I can't have a mouth guard though because it wont fit since my teeth are changing so much. He did high build ups on my back teeth which helps a little but I still do it. I would call your ortho and see what he says.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

browneyedgrl

#8 Post by browneyedgrl »

I had that problem at the beginning and my ortho put a bumper (a lig with a cushion on it) on the lower tooth that I kept bumping into. It totally helped.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

HeatherJ

#9 Post by HeatherJ »

As a follow up to my earlier post:

The problem bracket was re-attached today using a chemical cure instead of a light cure. My ortho said some studies show the light cure is stronger, but because of the type of tension caused by the adjacent canine, she felt a chemical cure would be better.

I notice that my upper incisor is again coming into contact with the problem bracket, but less so than before. Crossing my fingers....