Bride in braces?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rhonda30

#16 Post by rhonda30 »

Good to hear you are making progress. Hope all will be OK with your future mother-in-law. I know you want a perfect wedding but remember this is not a perfect world and expect some glitches.

Even with your braces your beauty of being a bride with shine through.

You mentioned you hate elastics, are they new? I don't think many of the braces wearers are too fond of elastics, I remember I never cared for them.

Keep us posted and hope your all your wedding plans go smoothly.

shinyRiver

#17 Post by shinyRiver »

I feel your pain. First of all, I am in elastics this month, too, and oww!

But more importantly, I am also afianced! I have always wanted an autumn wedding, but I don't know when exactly my braces will be off! They originally estimated 2.5-3 years, but teeth lined up very quickly and in less than 18 months I was totally powerchained and now we're just waiting for small spaces to close... My ortho seems optimistic and my adjustments are becoming much more frequent- every 4 weeks as opposed to every 6-8. But I'm still worried because I don't know what to expect. My worst fear is that I'll get them off the week before the wedding and won't have time for a proper cleaning/whitening. If I knew that I would either have them on, it would not be a terrible thing. I could prepare for it- pick a powerchain color, practice smiling, etc. But nothing could prepare me for having them off a week before my wedding... I'm so nervous! I really need to talk to my ortho. But he is graduating in a few months and some new ortho is taking his place and I'm terrified that the new ortho will have me walking down the aisle in head gear, God forbid!! As of now, the date is set for October second, though we haven't sent out save the dates or anything, for obvious reasons.

I didn't think it would bother me so much. I was so excited to get my braces on and so proud to have them. Now I just don't know how to feel!

danni

#18 Post by danni »

shinyRiver, we must be kindred spirits for you captured so much of what I feel. I am nervous, excited, at times overwhelmed with emotions about the wedding. When I got my braces I just thought about how wonderful it will be when my smile is done, I had always been self conscious about my teeth. I never dreamed they would play into my weddings plans, probably because I did not a have boyfriend or even thought of a wedding a year ago.

I just got a triangle elastics configuration last adjustment. She said it would help with my open bite but I find them rather bothersome. I don't think I would wear them for the wedding if I still have to wear them in August. anyone have any idea how long you have to wear elastics.

If the planning of the wedding is not tough enough I have just learned some of the politics involved. Turns out my future mother-in-law and my fiancee's step mom and father are not on the best of terms. So we have try and keep them at arms length. I have only met my future mother-in-law once and have never met his step mom or dad, they all live out of state.

Trying on dresses continues. My mom and sister really like this one but it is a little more expensive than I wanted to spend and maybe a little too traditional for my tastes.

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/432 ... 1159_m.jpg

Well, I will keep you posted.[/img]

danni

#19 Post by danni »

Bekah

#20 Post by Bekah »

That is definitely a VERY traditional dress. I love the look of the historical ones. I would keep looking till I found THE dress. You will know it when you see it!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

shinyRiver

#21 Post by shinyRiver »

hi danni!

That dress is princess-diana GORGEOUS, as is your smile! But I agree completely with Bekah- your dress is about YOU, and how YOU feel in it! And if you find one you really like, you can usually find a very similar (if not the same) one online on sites like ebay or www.preownedweddingdresses.com . I couldn't find all the features I wanted on one dress, so I went with an independent dressmaker whom I found online to create me the perfect dress with all of the stuff- the hoopskirt, the straps, the bag, etc.- for $675, which was right in my budget. So look until your heart goes pitty-pat, and you just KNOW that the dress you're looking at (or a combination of dresses that you're looking at) is the ONE.

Of course, it's not about the dress, the braces, the hair, the shoes... It's about living happily-ever-after!

Laney'sBraces

#22 Post by Laney'sBraces »

Rhonda30, You look totally adorable with those braces! Even seeing it's possible to look that cute in a wedding pic braced, if it were my decision, I would surely wait until my braces were removed.
Image Image

danni

#23 Post by danni »

Laney'sBraces-I wish I could wait but it has been determined that I will have an August wedding. I know it is my wedding but there are always some accommodations that must be made. I have looked at some dresses that might be a little cooler since August will probably be like getting married in a sauna.

Doesn't Rhonda look too adorable in her wedding dress and braces, I hope to look that good.

shinyRiver

#24 Post by shinyRiver »

Rhonda looked SO CUTE at her wedding- looking like a fashion model certainly helps when you're a bride in braces! :D
If I were as pretty as you girls, I'd have NO PROBLEM rocking a shiny smile down the aisle! :-#)

Laney'sBraces

#25 Post by Laney'sBraces »

danni: I am sure you will look gorgeous at your wedding!!
Image Image

50+

Future Mother of the bride in braces

#26 Post by 50+ »

I have a similar dilemma. My daughter may be getting engaged soon and won't want to wait the length of time until I get my braces off to get married. Just got them on 3 weeks ago. This has been bothering me and I wish I had thought of it prior to getting them on becaue I probably would have waited or not done it at all.
It isn't an immediate issue - but I have been sick of the thought of having these on at her wedding - plus I feel like it would ruin her day. I do have ceramic top and bottom but they do affect my smile and I wouldn't want to smile with a closed mouth on such a happy occasion.

I would consider having them removed for a short while and then have them replaced, but not sure what my orthodontist would do...some seem to be accommodating and others not based on what I've read. I don't want to bring it up to him until it is absolutely necessary - or I can ask the office manager what he would say.

Another question off the subject...I've notice countdowns at the bottom of some of your posts. How do you do that?

Thanks!! :)

Anyone out there with a similar experience - I would appreciate your input - having sleepless nights and a knot in my stomach about this!
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

shinyRiver

#27 Post by shinyRiver »

hey 50+!

You CAN get your braces removed for usually no charge if you've paid for your treatment in full (they were going to take them off eventually anyway!) however there is a re-bonding fee to have the brackets replaced usually (from what I've heard) it's a couple hundred dollars or so. You should feel free to discuss your options with your ortho at this stage in your treatment- perhaps you will want to be de-bracketed before any noticeable movement occurs that may create gaps or other abnormalities that might look a little odd in a de-braced smile. I'm sorry you feel you need to get them taken off to feel comfortable smiling in photos, but I understand that ceramic brackets can be a bit much for some people's mouths, considering they are much bigger than most metal brackets. There are some braces stories on here about people being de-braced for weddings, and most of the stories have very happy endings, so I hope if you choose to temporarily de-brace, all goes equally well for you in the continuation of your treatment.

Also, the website for the "tickers" is http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/t ... php?type=4 and the instructions on how to post them are fairly straight forward. Once you copy the ticker code when you're finished making your ticker, just go to your metal mouth profile and paste it under your signature. :)

50+

Thanks Shiny River...

#28 Post by 50+ »

I appreciate your response and encouragement - I am feeling better. I see you are getting married soon. Will you have your braces off by then? I hope so! Such a wonderful day it will be. I've been married 31 years and still look back fondly at our wedding photos. My teeth looked a lot better back then - amazing how age gets the best of us.

Also, thanks for the 101 on the tickerfactory - I'll definitely try it!

My best to you! :)
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

Steph in Sac

#29 Post by Steph in Sac »

If my daughter cared whether or not I was wearing braces at her wedding.....well, I won't finish that sentence.

A wedding is the ceremony to enter marriage. You should focus on your marriage and reasons for getting married and not worry so much about your teeth. That's not the important part.

shinyRiver

#30 Post by shinyRiver »

Haha Steph!

I totally agree with you. Of course I can say that now because my de-brace day is almost certainly pre-wedding. But I can also really understand why someone would not want to have braces in wedding photos- even if it's not their wedding, but their daughter or son's.

Every funeral I've ever been to has featured wedding photos, not only photos of the deceased's wedding, but their children's and grandchildren's weddings.

I don't really want the last photo anybody ever remembers seeing of me to be a picture of me in with my veil caught in my grill. And knowing my luck, something like that would happen. Just sayin'. And everybody wants to look like themselves (or better than themselves!) in such important, historic, family photos.

Then again, it makes a really romantic story to be able to say that "she just couldn't wait to get her braces off to be married". <3'

I'll never forget a brilliant and beautiful Moroccan statistics professor I had, who had braces on her wedding day. I asked her about her braces (because I was going to be braced soon) and she said her treatment was almost finished and commented that everyone in her family was appalled that she didn't wait until her braces were off to get married. And being the brilliant lady she is she told them that was stupid and that she loved her husband and wouldn't delay her wedding for something so trivial as the fact that she had braces. I will always remember the look on her face and how silly she thought the idea was. It makes me feel better about my braces and my wedding every time I remember that conversation.

In short, I can really understand the mixed feelings surrounding this subject, because I'm pretty sure I've felt them all!