Did braces improve your jawline/profile?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fosterp

Did braces improve your jawline/profile?

#1 Post by fosterp »

Hey everyone I am in the market for braces and I am wondering since I am going to be fixing my teeth, I am not really happy with the way my jaw is shaped. My face is kind of narrow and I have an overbite and crossbite, and I am wondering if braces alone will provide any sort of improvement to my jawline and shape of face.

Of the two orthos I have talked to, neither of them recommended lower jaw surgery to correct the overbite, I guess in my case it is not that extreme and will be fixed by braces alone, though one did suggest upper jaw surgery to widen the jaw to fix the crossbite - but the other did not think that was needed.

From what I have read once you are an adult you can't really change the shape of your jaw without surgery but I guess I am not asking about any sort of extreme changes, just a subtle couple mm's here or there.

Did any of you with braces note any improvement to your shape or profile after your treatment? I am asking those of you who had treatment without surgery - since obviously with surgery there will be big changes lol.

artroxu

#2 Post by artroxu »

i think they improved mine a little but it wasn't drastic. It all depends on where your teeth start and where thy end up. :D

nuttynat

#3 Post by nuttynat »

I'd be interested to know too. I was actually going to create a post about this very thing. I was wanted to find out if people noticed that their faces had changed (other than the teeth being straight) for better or worse.

I can't stop thinking about it when I look in the mirror. I haven't seen any change yet (I realise it's been on 6 days) but wonder how different my face will be. I get nervous that it might mess me up in someway.

I'm probably being a worry wart.
8/Jan/10 Wired up, but no place to go
4/May/10 Full upper & lower brackets put on

Rachel B

#4 Post by Rachel B »

I think my teeth have become less horse-like. It seems like, even with braces, my mouth is less prominent which is good. :lol:
My face does look a bit thinner but I think this is the effect of the braces and it may change when my braces come off.
In any case, nothing could be worse than how my teeth looked before!

nikyote

#5 Post by nikyote »

I was told I would need jaw surgury on my lower jaw because my jaw was really off center but I refused. My ortho understood and now 19 months later my jaw is barely off. It was really noticable before and now you can't even tell because it's almost perfect. I think as long as your okay with it not being perfect and follow instuctions on everything it might surprise you how much of a difference just the braces can make. The whole bottom of my face changed. My mouth is a lot wider and looks normal now (the top was very narrow before). I'm actually happy I didn't have the surgury because I love my teeth now, I think they are perfect for me.

Maria83

#6 Post by Maria83 »

From my progress so far and from seeing other people wearing braces and taking them off, I assume that the changes are positive and that the face tends to become more symmetrical and even once the bite starts to be more correct. I actually had comments from people telling me that my face "has straightened out", even though they would not call it uneven before, now it seems to have found its "correct position".

ellen

#7 Post by ellen »

My lower arch has been widened by my braces and I can tell when I look in the mirror, but the only other person who can see it is my hair dresser. No one else has noticed. My face is narrow, so I'm quite pleased to see my chin/jaw looking wider. I didn't realize how badly my lower teeth on the right side were collapsed in when I decided to get braces. My teeth were far worse than I thought, and now they are well on their way to being BEAUTIFUL!!!!

fosterp

#8 Post by fosterp »

thanks everyone for the replies

it has made me look forward to getting braces even more

Bekah

#9 Post by Bekah »

I have had some profile changes but I had 4 extractions. I am thrilled with the changes that I have seen! I am definitely glad that I got my braces.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

Aia

#10 Post by Aia »

I think my mouth looks bigger as in wider. I don't know if that's possible, but it does. I had a really small mouth to begin with though.

I'm not sure if anything else looks different, that's like the only thing I noticed.

TXMommy

#11 Post by TXMommy »

I noticed a profile change, and it was definitely for the better. I also had an overbite (my upper central incisors completely covered my lower centrals partially due to a pretty ugly bottom arch) and everything was corrected with braces, bite planes (the simple bonding material placed on two molars, no additional appliances) and elastics. No surgery needed, and my profile looks SO much better! I wish I had pics to share, but my ortho changed computer systems about six months ago, so I don't have access to my "before" profile. :(
Braced Jan. 31, 2008
Sentenced to 24 months
Debraced Jan. 14, 2010!
Now wearing Essix retainer on top 24/7 with bonded lower